What can you tell me about visiting Cape Canaveral?

Okay, just realized that one of the options for a homeschool unit study some of my sons are doing is to visit a NASA facility.  With Canaveral practically on our way home from the Fort, I might be talked into a stop there.

My questions are how cheaply and quickly can we do this and still get a good amount of info crammed in their heads?

I think pricey too.  Was shocked a few years ago when I 'treated' the godchildren and parents to a visit to Cape Kennedy.  And it's probably more now.  But, there is a lot to learn there. 

I would plan for most of a day.  It's been 10 or more years since I was there, so you need newer info to use.

Hopefully some fiend here will know how to get passes or discounts.

I agree that the Kennedy Space Center is a budget buster.

And, this isn't a place that you can just zip in and spend a couple of hours and see it all.

The place is massive.  There are many buildings and other sites of interest on the property.  They have buses to take you around, and guided tours if you wish.  There are interactive displays and IMAX movies.

The thing my kids enjoyed the most were the lectures by the astronauts, followed by Q & A with the audience.  I'll bet those guys wish they had a nickel for every time they've been asked how they go to the bathroom in space.

Although it's expensive, it's worth it. There's no place else like it.  Every American should visit there at least once.

TCD

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that the Kennedy Space Center is a budget buster.

And, this isn't a place that you can just zip in and spend a couple of hours and see it all.

The place is massive.  There are many buildings and other sites of interest on the property.  They have buses to take you around, and guided tours if you wish.  There are interactive displays and IMAX movies.

The thing my kids enjoyed the most were the lectures by the astronauts, followed by Q & A with the audience.  I'll bet those guys wish they had a nickel for every time they've been asked how they go to the bathroom in space.

Although it's expensive, it's worth it. There's no place else like it.  Every American should visit there at least once.

TCD

My late assessment of KSC: As a huge space nerd, I second TCD on how amazing it is there....but certainly not cheap. We did manage to make it alittle cheaper by getting a deal on ONE season pass. That allowed us to park for free and get a discount on tickets for everyone else in the party.  General admission also gets you into the Astronaut Hall of Fame which I thought was great, but you need an extra day to see that.  It really is a two-day adventure.

My late assessment of KSC: As a huge space nerd, I second TCD on how amazing it is there....but certainly not cheap. We did manage to make it alittle cheaper by getting a deal on ONE season pass. That allowed us to park for free and get a discount on tickets for everyone else in the party.  General admission also gets you into the Astronaut Hall of Fame which I thought was great, but you need an extra day to see that.  It really is a two-day adventure.

Wow!  Our last visit there was in August 1986, months after the Challenger disaster.  Back then it was a half day adventure.

• 1 month later...