Disney Testing FP+ Only at TSMM Oct 6-9

Am I misunderstanding something??? These tests appear to be testing the feasibility of eliminating the stand-by line. Therefore you can only ride if you have a FP+. This limits you to 3 possibly 4 rides per day.....for $100. Would they eliminate the stand-by line for the most popular attractions only?

I don't know about the rest of you, but with FP+, we spent LESS time in the parks. I planned our rides back to back then we would either ride something with a short wait, grab a bite to eat or go back to the Fort to hang around.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am relieved to hear it will only take a period of almost two years to complete this project. I mean, I am sure it takes twice as long to add another TSMM track as it does to build all of Diagon All

Possible explanation for the test:   http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/toy-story-mania/news/07oct2014-soundstage-1-to-become-home-to-a-third-track-for-toy-story-mania-at-disney's-hollywood-studios.h

TCD   Here is a picture of the ride config.....     You can clearly see two separate tracks for the ride. Almost mirroring each other. They could easily add another load area for the new track creati

On the plus side for most of us, the tests they've done so far have reportedly been miserable failures.

I expect the TSM will be equally disastrous.

I get that they're trying to find a way to reduce wait times for people (at least I think/hope that's what this is about) but I can't imagine eliminating the stand-by lines is the way to go.

I can only see the downside of trying this while still having to accommodate the GAC. The GAC essentially is a FP+ without getting a FP+. Having to get an actual FP+ would defeat some of the accommodation allowed for with a GAC.

I foresee a lot of headaches in the future. CMs are still getting a feel for the GAC (and still getting it wrong, occasionally). This will just make it worse ... and, yes, I bet it will bring out more complaints and eventually a lawsuit.

Disney is one of the better companies for accommodation ... but I see this as a step in the wrong direction.

I can only see the downside of trying this while still having to accommodate the GAC. The GAC essentially is a FP+ without getting a FP+. Having to get an actual FP+ would defeat some of the accommodation allowed for with a GAC.

I foresee a lot of headaches in the future. CMs are still getting a feel for the GAC (and still getting it wrong, occasionally). This will just make it worse ... and, yes, I bet it will bring out more complaints and eventually a lawsuit.

The GAC program is now the DAS program.

What accommodation are you looking for? 

The GAC program is now the DAS program.

What accommodation are you looking for?

I'm not looking for accommodation. Under the current program, mobility issues are not covered - they tell you to rent a wheelchair or scooter if you don't have one already. Theoretically, that will accommodate any mobility issues. Almost all my issues involve mobility, so ...

I belong to several forums dealing with all forms of disability, and some members have had problems with the new system. They have children on all parts of the autism spectrum. Some of them would be totally unable to use a system involving long lines or crowded waits. Some would require several rides in a row to avoid a meltdown. Using the GAC, there were usually no problems. Using the DAS, there are still occasional issues - that are resolved at a higher level ... sometimes. ...

I don't see a FP+ required system being anywhere close to accommodation at the past or current levels. It would be MUCH harder for a CM to find a way to accommodate some of these conditions, and MUCH more frustrating for the ones needing that little bit extra.

Disney has been very good in the past, but I just don't see this as a positive change.

I'm not entirely sure what the goal of the tests are, but I don't really think this "FP+ only" thing is going to fly.  I'm not even sure that's what this testing is about.

I wonder if it's more about tweaking the FP+ system than it is about getting rid of the standby line?  As in, "let's put it through its paces and see how much it can handle and where we might be able to make some adjustments".  By forcing everyone to use it for a test, you probably get as close to maxing out the FP+ system as you might ever see on the busiest park day.

Weird - the link didn't work, but I found it.  Very interesting!

Is Soundstage 1 about to become home to a third track for Toy Story Mania at Disney's Hollywood Studios?

Speculation has been building that a third Toy Story Mania track will be installed in Soundstage 1 at Disney's Hollywood Studios, and this week's FastPass+ only testing seems to all but confirm the plans will soon be put into action.

Since opening in Spring 2008, Toy Story Mania has suffered from long lines, and high demand for FastPass+ allocations. The lack of family rides at the park, and the high repeat ride value of the attraction have all contributed to average wait times of at least 60 minutes, and frequently wait times in 3 figures.

Sitting vacant next door to Toy Story Mania is Soundstage 1, which since last weekend has become a designated construction site, and could soon be home to a third track for Toy Story Mania. The additional capacity is an attempt to reduce wait times and increase FastPass+ inventory for the ride.

This week's test of eliminating the standby line, leaving just FastPass+ available for riders, is a trial run to see just how the attraction can be reconfigured in the future. Once the expansion is complete, park operations will have the option to configure two tracks as FastPass+ and one track as standby, or one track as FastPass+ and two as standby. Using real-world guest testing this week should give designers enough insight to configure the new layout for optimum performance.

Toy Story Mania is not the only attraction that may be receiving an expansion. Another headliner attraction over at Epcot faces a similar problem to its Studios counterpart - a lack of family rides and high re-ridabilty leaves Soarin' with lengthy queues and limited FastPass+ availability. Space behind the pavilion allows for the installation of a third theater, and should the Toy Story Mania expansion work, expect to see Soarin' expanded, possibly alongside the rollout of a new film.

Adding capacity to existing rides is a departure from Disney's traditional approach. In the past, we have seen the addition of new attractions to increase a park's capacity and reduce wait times for popular rides. Adding capacity to an existing ride may be a more cost effective option for Disney, but would guests prefer to have shorter waits for existing attractions in place of building something new, or stay with limited capacity at existing rides and have the option of riding something completely new?

Disney has not yet made any comments or announced an expansion to Toy Story Mania. As always, plans may change and the information presented here should be treated as speculation until officially announced.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/toy-story-mania/news/07oct2014-soundstage-1-to-become-home-to-a-third-track-for-toy-story-mania-at-disney%27s-hollywood-studios.htm

I keep hearing about this so-called third track, and I don't understand it.

In the attraction, there is one track where the cars load and unload.  Then, the track splits, and the cars rotate, and guests shoot at the displays on opposite walls.   How can they put a third track in there?

TCD

I'm assuming the line would split sooner, and one would head to the old soundstage 1.  Perhaps they would have the two existing tracks be FastPass+ only while the third track would be standby.  Of course this could all be a false rumor too.

I'm assuming the line would split sooner, and one would head to the old soundstage 1.  Perhaps they would have the two existing tracks be FastPass+ only while the third track would be standby.  Of course this could all be a false rumor too.

The rumor keeps on being repeated, so there might be something to it.

The old Soundstage is on the opposite side of where the ride vehicles head after leaving the load/unload area.  I can't visualize how they could just add a track that would split off to get to that area. 

I haven't heard anything about a new entrance or loading area, so where is this third track that is part of the rumor supposed to go?

TCD

TCD

Here is a picture of the ride config.....

crop.jpg

You can clearly see two separate tracks for the ride. Almost mirroring each other. They could easily add another load area for the new track creating a whole separate ride in essence. Then they just move the merge points and have two separate sides, one with two track (the current ride) and one with one track. The split would be where Mr potato head is now. Send them left or right depending on capacity.

TCD

Here is a picture of the ride config.....

crop.jpg

You can clearly see two separate tracks for the ride. Almost mirroring each other. They could easily add another load area for the new track creating a whole separate ride in essence. Then they just move the merge points and have two separate sides, one with two track (the current ride) and one with one track. The split would be where Mr potato head is now. Send them left or right depending on capacity.

Thank you, Dave. 

That photo is very cool, and consistent with what I'm saying- there is no room for a third track to be added using the same load/unload area.

Now, splitting the line at Mr. Potato head, and building a complete reproduction of what is there now- that I could see.  Kind of like the two sides of Space Mountain.  But, that isn't adding a third track.  That's duplicating the attraction, and probably adding a third and fourth track.

TCD

Thank you, Dave. 

That photo is very cool, and consistent with what I'm saying- there is no room for a third track to be added using the same load/unload area.

Now, splitting the line at Mr. Potato head, and building a complete reproduction of what is there now- that I could see.  Kind of like the two sides of Space Mountain.  But, that isn't adding a third track.  That's duplicating the attraction, and probably adding a third and fourth track.

TCD

The same thing they did with dumbo. Same attraction, just two sides. So it would be a third track.

Here is another view that may help others,

trk_mgm_toy.jpg

The area where the wording Toy Story Mania is, is the sound stage. The lower right is Mr potato head. They could move the merge point to there and split the guest flow left or right. This could also help with maintenance issues. It will give them reduced capacity but still able to run the attraction as its a separate line.

The same thing they did with dumbo. Same attraction, just two sides. So it would be a third track.

Here is another view that may help others,

trk_mgm_toy.jpg

The area where the wording Toy Story Mania is, is the sound stage. The lower right is Mr potato head. They could move the merge point to there and split the guest flow left or right. This could also help with maintenance issues. It will give them reduced capacity but still able to run the attraction as its a separate line.

Very useful to helping me understand, Dave.  Thank you.

You're right- it is just like Dumbo.

They could make one side FP+ only. They do that with Space Mountain, and they could easily do it here.

TCD

Time for our Toy Story FPs, and the ride is down. We've been hanging out for the last hour waiting to ride it. I hope it starts working soon.

Wow. That stinks!

Please report back if you get to ride it.  I've seen some photos suggesting that the queue is basically empty when you get inside, and that empty cars are being sent out.

I don't understand what they are trying to test.

TCD

Wow. That stinks!

Please report back if you get to ride it. I've seen some photos suggesting that the queue is basically empty when you get inside, and that empty cars are being sent out.

I don't understand what they are trying to test.

TCD

It all worked out. We asked them if we can come back tomorrow and use the FP, and they told us to check at the FP window. We went there and they told us to check at Guest Relations. Since we were heading out, we ran by there and they were great. They gave us a FP for any time tomorrow for all members of our party. Great customer service, Disney!

It all worked out. We asked them if we can come back tomorrow and use the FP, and they told us to check at the FP window. We went there and they told us to check at Guest Relations. Since we were heading out, we ran by there and they were great. They gave us a FP for any time tomorrow for all members of our party. Great customer service, Disney!

Well, that's good.

Enjoy!

I'd still love to hear a first hand report of whether the queues are really nearly empty when you finally do get inside.  Also, if you get any word about the purpose of the test, please share.

TCD