As for the question about whether or not the bathhouse is occupied, I nominate you and DIT to get on up there and investigate.  The 2 of you shimmied up the posts of Pioneer Hall, that certainly qualifies you for this mission!

Did I ever tell you about the time my brother got rabies from a bat?  True story.  I'm not shimmying up the BABH.  

As I am woefully behind on my TR reading, I also missed that letter.  

My first reaction to it was, are you %$# kidding me right now?!?!?

Yes - let's release thousands of bats in an area where people are known to be OUTDOORS most of the time - a campground!

Then, let's caution them not to mess with the dead ones.

Oh, and if by chance you get bitten by one - get yourself to the nearest medical facility…on your own….check with the front desk, they have the info.

What if I am a cabin guest, with no car, and no golf cart?  What if I am tent camping, have no car, cart, and passed out from the trauma of being bitten by a bat?  Am I still supposed to drag my wounded butt to the front desk?

Come on.

My 2nd reaction was the spelling error…did anyone else catch it?

I know, I know TCD…why am I surprised, right?

As for the question about whether or not the bathhouse is occupied, I nominate you and DIT to get on up there and investigate.  The 2 of you shimmied up the posts of Pioneer Hall, that certainly qualifies you for this mission!

Glad you liked it, Cyndee.

I tried to make the letter just plausible enough that it would make the reader wonder if it was for real.  You have to admit that it sounds like how the idiots who run the Fort would handle things.

The spelling error- is it the use of "to" instead of "the" in the third paragraph?  If so, that was already pointed out. I did consider making some intentional errors and inserting some random apostrophes in keeping with typical Fort communications, but that was really an error.  Is there another one?

Really?  Wow, I had no idea.  I've GOT to climb up there and have a look.   :rofl3:

So, when you get to the point of foaming at the mouth.....it is cinnamon roll glaze?

I hope it's not cinnamon roll glaze.  That would present quite a predicament for me.

TCD

Glad you liked it, Cyndee.

I tried to make the letter just plausible enough that it would make the reader wonder if it was for real.  You have to admit that it sounds like how the idiots who run the Fort would handle things.

The spelling error- is it the use of "to" instead of "the" in the third paragraph?  If so, that was already pointed out. I did consider making some intentional errors and inserting some random apostrophes in keeping with typical Fort communications, but that was really an error.  Is there another one?

I hope it's not cinnamon roll glaze.  That would present quite a predicament for me.

TCD

Ahhh, well that is what I get for not staying up late and reading TR's like I used to!  I look forward to reading that one and finding out what compelled you to draft such a lengthy pretend notice from Fort management.  Along with the many others I have missed this year!

Back to the original point you were trying to make - why did they bother with that silly thing?  All of the bats are probably quite comfy in their homes over in RC where no one ever steps foot and wakes them up during the day.

Dave, I am sorry to hear about your brother.  That must have been really scary for your poor mom!

Dave, I am sorry to hear about your brother.  That must have been really scary for your poor mom!

The worst part is that my parents couldn't see him for a while.  He was in the Naval Academy in Annapolis and got bit while sleeping in the barracks, which didn't have screens on the windows or A/C at that time (1979).  He was hospitalized for 6 weeks there, and lost so much time he had to drop out of the academy.  But it worked out for him, as the experience lead him to become a doctor and he's a Colonel in the Army.   

The worst part is that my parents couldn't see him for a while.  He was in the Naval Academy in Annapolis and got bit while sleeping in the barracks, which didn't have screens on the windows or A/C at that time (1979).  He was hospitalized for 6 weeks there, and lost so much time he had to drop out of the academy.  But it worked out for him, as the experience lead him to become a doctor and he's a Colonel in the Army.   

Oh man.  That really sounds awful!  But, I am glad it seems that it all worked out in the end.

One of my best friends was born on a military base in PR.  I can remember her mom telling us about their home on the base and how it had no windows or screens.  Now that I have been there, I cannot even imagine that!

My younger son recently spent a weekend at Annapolis with the Scouts.  They camped there, toured the military museum and went to a Navy game.

• 7 months later...

Well this has been one of the most entertaining threads I've come across. I specifically searched for info on the bat house after seeing it for the first time last month during a carriage ride; our guide pointed it out. Me, I've lived in the country where bats came out at night, and I love them. They eat bugs. That kind of automatically makes you my friend  :P

At any rate, I'm here wondering if, since this thread was first lively last October, anyone has seen bats there or knows how it's going? I was under the impression the bats were living in it, but maybe not? 

Oh, and the letter was priceless. I mean, a real work of art. :bravo:

Well this has been one of the most entertaining threads I've come across. I specifically searched for info on the bat house after seeing it for the first time last month during a carriage ride; our guide pointed it out. Me, I've lived in the country where bats came out at night, and I love them. They eat bugs. That kind of automatically makes you my friend  :P

At any rate, I'm here wondering if, since this thread was first lively last October, anyone has seen bats there or knows how it's going? I was under the impression the bats were living in it, but maybe not? 

Oh, and the letter was priceless. I mean, a real work of art. :bravo:

WELCOME!!!