The Fort's bat house has been complete for more than 6 months now.  I haven't heard any reports of any bats moving in yet.

I thought of the Fort when I read an article in this Sunday's Tampa Bay Times, which featured a visit to the bat houses on the campus of the University of Florida: http://www.tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/gaping-crusaders-help-protect-floridas-bats/2200458

This is the reporter's description of his experience watching the bats fly out one evening:

I arrived 30 minutes before dark. About a dozen people, mostly students but some older folks, had already claimed benches. I took my iPhone and my courage inside the fence and stood in the tall grass a couple dozen feet from the towers.

At 7:35 p.m. I saw my first bat. It was a scout, flapping around frantically as if to check things out before screaming an okay. A few minutes later a few others came out, followed by a dozen, followed by a hundred, followed by many more than a hundred.

Brazilian free-tailed bats, Evening bats, Southeastern myotis bats, looking for moths, beetles and mosquitoes. The 400,000 bats bolting from the towers, I'd read at the kiosk, would eat 3 billion bugs before the night was done. Several thousand pounds.

Bat musk perfumed the air. Bats rocketed past me and over me and everywhere I gaped.

Was it raining? No, perfect weather. Yet I felt drops on my bare arms and neck. I remembered the warning sign on the kiosk: "Beware of Falling Urine and Guano as Bats Fly Overhead."

I shut my mouth.

A photo:

flo_bats100514_13911769_8col.jpg

Sounds like a great thing to be camped next to.

Don't forget you umbrella.

TCD

You can write the official FF news article next time your here. :rofl3:

Are there any bats in the bat house?  Please go out there one night and let us know.

There were so many mosquitoes when I was at the Fort, I wondered if maybe they had stopped spraying for them and were trusting the bats to get the job done.

I saw no bats, hungry or otherwise.  I saw way too many mosquitoes.

If you read the rest of that article, the reporter mentions several bat houses that never got occupied.  Bats don't always move in.

I'll bet the Fort's bat house is still vacant.

TCD

There were so many mosquitoes when I was at the Fort, I wondered if maybe they had stopped spraying for them and were trusting the bats to get the job done.

If it comes down to a little stray bat poo or being eaten alive by mosquitoes, I'll take my chances with the bats!

Wow... we've been really lucky on our visits so far this year (meaning we've seen very few), but it sounds like we'd better be prepared this next week.  Our youngest gets HUGE welts from the bites :(

Please.....don't anyone mention this to INC.  I'd never see the Fort again.  

Yep... I'm (almost) there too.  Get that bats are suppose to be great for eating mosquitoes...but the diseases they can carry frighten me!

The Fort's bat house has been complete for more than 6 months now.  I haven't heard any reports of any bats moving in yet.

WHERE is the bat house located??

I have heard Disney is turning the bat property over to the DVC folks in an effort to market timeshares to the bats.

You need to read trip reports.

You must have missed this from my Spring Break 2014 trip report.

This is a letter I found on my truck's windshield one morning.  It tells you where the bat house is and also gives some safety tips you may want to take in to consideration:

31014008_zps745ac54a.jpg

TCD

I remember the bat house being mentioned...could not remember where it was.  Also, don't remember this letter but that's lovely.... Disney has prepared gloves and "a box" so guests can dispose of dead bats.  Fun stuff.

I remember the bat house being mentioned...could not remember where it was.  Also, don't remember this letter but that's lovely.... Disney has prepared gloves and "a box" so guests can dispose of dead bats.  Fun stuff.

Like I said, trip reports are important reading: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/12250-the-tcd-gang-springs-forward-at-the-fort-a-spring-break-2014-tr/?p=350080

TCD

As I am woefully behind on my TR reading, I also missed that letter.  

My first reaction to it was, are you %$# kidding me right now?!?!?

Yes - let's release thousands of bats in an area where people are known to be OUTDOORS most of the time - a campground!

Then, let's caution them not to mess with the dead ones.

Oh, and if by chance you get bitten by one - get yourself to the nearest medical facility…on your own….check with the front desk, they have the info.

What if I am a cabin guest, with no car, and no golf cart?  What if I am tent camping, have no car, cart, and passed out from the trauma of being bitten by a bat?  Am I still supposed to drag my wounded butt to the front desk?

Come on.

My 2nd reaction was the spelling error…did anyone else catch it?

I know, I know TCD…why am I surprised, right?

As for the question about whether or not the bathhouse is occupied, I nominate you and DIT to get on up there and investigate.  The 2 of you shimmied up the posts of Pioneer Hall, that certainly qualifies you for this mission!