Does Super Geek answer questions like Dear Abby?

Question being asked by my hubs:

Can you bring your own modem to the Fort to access WiFi or do you HAVE to use the ones that come from the Meadows Trading Post?

Not sure where he's going with this, but I told him I'd ask. Plus, when asking a question, I get to use my favorite emoji - - - - :smiley-raising-waving-hand:

Yes, you HAVE to use the Cable Modem that comes from the Meadow Trading Post. Those modems are set up to communicate with their particular service provider. A random cable modem will not be, without contacting the provider and providing them the MAC address of the modem.

Now you CAN bring your own wireless router and hook that up to the cable modem they provide, then you can have wireless in your camper and around your site.

Yes, you HAVE to use the Cable Modem that comes from the Meadow Trading Post. Those modems are set up to communicate with their particular service provider. A random cable modem will not be, without contacting the provider and providing them the MAC address of the modem.

Now you CAN bring your own wireless router and hook that up to the cable modem they provide, then you can have wireless in your camper and around your site.

We do bring a router and that works out great. I know NOTHING about techie stuff. I think he is just trying to simplify our set up.  He knows a lot about networking, so he must have something specific in mind...again, I know nothing about it. It's a miracle I can even type stuff on this board (that might be an exaggeration).

Like others said previously, you have to use Disney's modem and you can use your own wireless router.

Don't see any reasont to want to use your own unless you have a VPN tunnel programmed into it, or he's trying to get everything stowed away neatly.

Why risk damaging your own equipment on the chance of a power surge thru the network connection.

We have a small PUP, and I tossed the modem and router under one of our couches, but left the cushion pulled out a little for air circulation.  They can generate a bit of heat in an enclosed space.

Someone with a larger camper wouldn't have that problem.

At least one way of countering Disney's requirement that you use their modem occurs to me, but it would be beyond the technical expertise of your average person (i.e., you would have to be at least as geeky as me to experience this attraction) and it would be evil, so I will default to Carol's answer and say no, you have to use their modems.

If you want, feel free to ask me any sort of geeky (or non-geeky) question, and I'll answer them in a Dear Abby- type column. There's no way that could go horribly wrong, is there? Of course there isn't.

(If you are interested in actual questions being asked of someone who's far geekier than even I am, try Randall Munroe's "What If?" series at http://what-if.xkcd.com/1/ .)