For the past few years when we go to WDW or the Fort, I always come in the back ways and not thru the main entrance. 

Do they still have the sign at the parking lot entrance that used to say Campsites available tonight, or did they take that down?

I know it's a silly question since it's next to impossible to book a site anymore, but was wondering if they still accept last minute "drop ins"?

... was wondering if they still accept last minute "drop ins"?

I wouldn't think it's a problem IF there's availability... but there's the rub.  If it's a weekend and/or a busy time at the Fort, I'd say your chances are pretty slim.

There were a couple of times we realized on the way down that we'd be able to make it in a night early and we called ahead and were able to add a night.  Both times it was a Saturday night and it wasn't a problem... however that was a bunch of years ago now.

I wouldn't think it's a problem IF there's availability... but there's the rub.  If it's a weekend and/or a busy time at the Fort, I'd say your chances are pretty slim.

There were a couple of times we realized on the way down that we'd be able to make it in a night early and we called ahead and were able to add a night.  Both times it was a Saturday night and it wasn't a problem... however that was a bunch of years ago now.

I've shared this before- but since Travisma is asking a specific question about it, I'll share it again.

I was in the Reception Outpost once when a couple showed up on a holiday weekend with no reservation.  They had tried to check in outside, and were told to park and go inside.  I heard them explain their plight, and the CM handed them a phone and dialed the number for WDW reservations. I am not sure how it ended, but they couldn't get a site.

This is the same thing that happened to me one time when we were at WDW and decided, on a whim, to see if we could spend the night at AKL,  I went to the check-in counter to see if they had any rooms available. The CM on duty couldn't tell me.  She also dialed the phone and handed it to me so I could speak to a reservation CM at the call center and ask.

Bottom line- if you go to the front desk of a WDW resort and ask if they have rooms (or campsites) available, they are going to hand you a phone.  The number they dial is the same one you can dial yourself.  So, there's no advantage to just showing up.

TCD

Bottom line- if you go to the front desk of a WDW resort and ask if they have rooms (or campsites) available, they are going to hand you a phone.  The number they dial is the same one you can dial yourself.  So, there's no advantage to just showing up.

It's been quite a few years since we were able to call ahead and add a night. Back then we called the front desk directly. I think the last time was 2006-ish?

These days, as TCD noted, we'd have to call CRO... and we all know how easy it is to get a one night reservation that way.  :banghead:

I've shared this before- but since Travisma is asking a specific question about it, I'll share it again.

I was in the Reception Outpost once when a couple showed up on a holiday weekend with no reservation.  They had tried to check in outside, and were told to park and go inside.  I heard them explain their plight, and the CM handed them a phone and dialed the number for WDW reservations. I am not sure how it ended, but they couldn't get a site.

This is the same thing that happened to me one time when we were at WDW and decided, on a whim, to see if we could spend the night at AKL,  I went to the check-in counter to see if they had any rooms available. The CM on duty couldn't tell me.  She also dialed the phone and handed it to me so I could speak to a reservation CM at the call center and ask.

TCD

That scenario smacks of a company that doesn't need the business and/or has no interest in accomodating a customer doesn't it?

That scenario smacks of a company that doesn't need the business and/or has no interest in accomodating a customer doesn't it?

Exactly.

The occupancy rates for the Deluxe Resorts is abysmal.  But, they won't lower the prices to attract more guests.  They want to protect the rack rates.  They'd rather the rooms sit empty than fill them with guests paying a lower rate.

The same thing holds true at the Fort.  They used to offer long-term stay discounts to fill the sites in the winter months.  Now, they'd rather the sites sit empty so they can charge locals a jacked-up rate on weekends.  According to what I've heard, that's more profitable for them.

TCD

Exactly.

The occupancy rates for the Deluxe Resorts is abysmal.  But, they won't lower the prices to attract more guests.  They want to protect the rack rates.  They'd rather the rooms sit empty than fill them with guests paying a lower rate.

The same thing holds true at the Fort.  They used to offer long-term stay discounts to fill the sites in the winter months.  Now, they'd rather the sites sit empty so they can charge locals a jacked-up rate on weekends.  According to what I've heard, that's more profitable for them.

TCD

I bet it is, less CMs to pay during the week.  Of course that means CMs not getting 40 hour weeks.

The sign used to be to the right of the parking lot booths where you stop to pay.  I think the far right used to be for campers (it's now the bus lane), but I could be mistaken, the camper lane might've been next to the bus lane.

The sign used to say something like campsites available tonight, or they would flip it over so it said no campsites, like the old vacancy/no vacancy signs on the motels everyone used to stay in before the big chains took over everything.

And until Disney starts to lose money, they are not going to change a thing. 

Some bean counter showed they were more profitable using 1 central  # to do all their reservations instead of allowing the sites to be helpful face to face and fill a vacancy.

The sign used to be to the right of the parking lot booths where you stop to pay.  I think the far right used to be for campers (it's now the bus lane), but I could be mistaken, the camper lane might've been next to the bus lane.

The sign used to say something like campsites available tonight, or they would flip it over so it said no campsites, like the old vacancy/no vacancy signs on the motels everyone used to stay in before the big chains took over everything.

And until Disney starts to lose money, they are not going to change a thing. 

Some bean counter showed they were more profitable using 1 central  # to do all their reservations instead of allowing the sites to be helpful face to face and fill a vacancy.

I always come in through the MK entrance, and I can tell you that that sign hasn't been there for the past 20 years, if not longer.

TCD

Well our first visit to the Fort and the MK was in 77.  Then in the fall of 78 we went to the MK after we moved down here and my first daughter was born.  I remember the sign at that time, and  some other visits.  But I stopped going thru the main entrance years ago after I discovered the back way in, especially after the guard shack was abandoned on Vista Blvd.  We used to keep the old paper passes in our glove box to flash at the guard to get into the Fort parking lot, then take the tram to the Settlement Store and get food and eat on the beach while the kids played and waded.  I wish I could remember dates better. 

I think I have some slides of the Fort back from our 77 trip.  That was my wife and my first trip to FL.  We camped in a van that we had converted.  Went all around the state.  Liked it so much we moved down in late January 78.

I do remember the old guard shack that you're talking about. That was still there when I first started visiting the Fort.  And, in the earliest of those years, there were still guards on duty.  Then it was unmanned, and then it was finally removed.

If you ever find those slides, there would be a big audience for them here on this site.

TCD

I do remember the old guard shack that you're talking about. That was still there when I first started visiting the Fort.  And, in the earliest of those years, there were still guards on duty.  Then it was unmanned, and then it was finally removed.

If you ever find those slides, there would be a big audience for them here on this site.

TCD

I'm not sure how many we have of the Fort.  We took pictures all around the state.  I remember one shot I took from the skycar I think above 20,000 Leagues, and you could count the amount of people walking around easily.  It wasn't crowded at all.

Yup there were guards and they did make you stop.  And you could drive into the parking lot where it's now just an exit.  The shack got damaged during a bad storm/hurricane and was abandoned after that.