I am not talking about the fire with Chip and Dale, but about having a fire at your site.  I know that there are strict guide lines on the type of fire pit you may use at the fort, could anyone point me to those?

Any suggestions on where these fire pits can be obtained?

Are they available for rent?

Fire pits must be screened with a solid top. I know they are available at Wal-Mart, Lowes HD etc. None are available for rent at the FORT. There is a pic (I think) of the approved pits on the forum, but it's location eludes me right now. I'm sure somebody will post the link soon.

I bought this firepit at K-mart, Oh...almost 4 years ago.  It was on sale around Thanksgiving for $28.  It's one of the "approved" ones..it's not huge, but it works.  I only use it at The Fort, and when I'm done, I bring it home, clean it out, put a large black garbage back over it and put it in my shed.  The screen did rust (We live in Florida, everything not in climate controlled rusts) so I spray painted it with heat paint.  I just got it out to get ready to bring it for Halloween, and still looks like the day my DH put it together...Ok, so I'm overly nice to my camping supplies, but it's the best $28 I've spent.  I'll use it over Halloween and when we're there at Christmas, and it'll go back into the shed til next year.

http://www.kmart.com/northwest-territory-portable-outdoor-firepit/p-089W005397384001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I bought this firepit at K-mart, Oh...almost 4 years ago.  It was on sale around Thanksgiving for $28.  It's one of the "approved" ones..it's not huge, but it works.  I only use it at The Fort, and when I'm done, I bring it home, clean it out, put a large black garbage back over it and put it in my shed.  The screen did rust (We live in Florida, everything not in climate controlled rusts) so I spray painted it with heat paint.  I just got it out to get ready to bring it for Halloween, and still looks like the day my DH put it together...Ok, so I'm overly nice to my camping supplies, but it's the best $28 I've spent.  I'll use it over Halloween and when we're there at Christmas, and it'll go back into the shed til next year.

http://www.kmart.com/northwest-territory-portable-outdoor-firepit/p-089W005397384001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Getting a "Fort approved" fire pit is on our wish list.  We nearly bought one of those cool gas pseudo-campfires that Camping World sells but then I had the good sense to check and see if they are on the approved list and discovered they are not.  (!).  Somehow apparently a propane fire burning no real wood is more dangerous than a real fire with a solid top on it.  Whewee, there's a head scratcher. 

Getting a Fort-approved fire pit is on our wish list.  Nearly bought one of those cool propane pseudo campfires that Camping World sells, but had the good sense to check if they were approved for the Fort, and they are not.  Amazingly, a propane fueled fake fire is apparently more dangerous than a real fire with a solid top. Whewee, that's a head scratcher. 

Getting a Fort-approved fire pit is on our wish list.  Nearly bought one of those cool propane pseudo campfires that Camping World sells, but had the good sense to check if they were approved for the Fort, and they are not.  Amazingly, a propane fueled fake fire is apparently more dangerous than a real fire with a solid top. Whewee, that's a head scratcher. 

OK, NO idea how this post just appeared 4X.  Sorry.  I'll return to my cave.

It's happened to me.  You click post and it doesn't seem like it's done anything, so you click again.

What I've found that works (If you're not posting a lot of pictures) is click post.  If nothing happens, copy what you've just typed, then go to the top of the page and click view new content.

If the thread is there with you as the last poster it probably took.  Open it and see if your post is there.  If not, hit reply and paste in what you copied previously.

Copying what you're typing is a good idea also if it's a lengthy post or you have to step away from the pc for a few minutes.  You can copy and paste into a word document or notepad, and pick up where you left off.

Good advise, I do that also.  However I have never had the post not happen as long as I actually hit the post button.  Often it looks like  nothing happened but if I click new content the post is there.  Don't know why that is but that's probably why there are so many multiple post. 

• 1 year later...

So I was over on the PUP site looking at discussions and someone said they just purchased this fire pit

Outland Fire Bowl 820 Portable Propane Fire Pit

81tUhQ0AiGL._SL1500_.jpg

It's propane fired instead of wood (OK, it's not a "real" camp fire), and the person said since it's clean burning and doesn't throw sparks, it can be used during fire bans.

Another advantage is not having to find wood, bring your own, or making sure the wood stays dry.

I know this is a silly question (ask 6 CM's get 6 differing answers), but do you think this is allowed at the Fort?

I think the solid lid wood burning fire-pits are to keep embers from floating around, but this doesn't throw any since there's now wood.

No the propane fire pits are on the not allowed list.

I have no idea why since there is nothing saying you can't have a propane grill. Oh wait I do know, they want to make it as hard as possible so you go to the Fort campfire and buy stuff from Disney while there!

True, but all the pictures approved and dis-approved are for wood burning fire pits.

Here is the approved fire pit flyer, at the very bottom of the list of pictures is a picture of the propane fire pit.

ApprovedFirePits.jpg

THANKS!

I don't think I've ever seen a full color brochure of this, or more than likely I've never paid that close attention since we didn't have a fire pit and didn't plan on getting one.

But the portable propane ones looked interesting, especially if you filled them with the fire glass..... ooh shiny

Doesn't make sense, since they are allowed in campgrounds where there are burn bans and they don't throw sparks.

Maybe they are afraid of someone tossing a flaming marshmallow.

And on another note, Halloween weekend someone in the 2000 loop was giving away an unapproved firepit with wood and charcoal instead of taking it home with them.

I replied to the post we would take it and they even dropped it off at our site since we were at the MK!

This fire pit is on my wish list. Like that it can be used without the top and screen if youre someplace that thats not required, plus that it can be packed up looks travel friendly

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Masterbuilt-The-Grizzly-Cub-Portable-Fire-Pit-and-Grill/11170387

This is what we have. I love it.

Doesn't make sense, since they are allowed in campgrounds where there are burn bans and they don't throw sparks.

They are concerned about sparks and open flames.  The propane campfires have open flames.

The open flames are the reason they ban Tiki torches.

Of course, the grills have open flames.  As do the campfires at the Meadow campfire area.  And, they let group campers have uncovered fires in the open fire pits they provide there.

As you know, the Fort is all about consistency.

TCD