Hot Balls of Fire at Trails End

I totally agree.

While one kiss-up guest (Deb) is getting the royal treatment, what do the regular slobs who paid good money to eat there get?

This reminds me of a recent experience we had at Captain Cooks.  During the remodel, they took away the touch screens.  Now, to order, everyone stands in one line while a CM at the end takes your order. Then you have to take that paper ticket to a cashier to pay.  Stupidest thing I've ever seen.  Anyway, we were there later in the afternoon, and it wasn't too busy.   There were two parties ahead of us in line, so that shouldn't be bad.  Well, sure enough, the lady in the first party didn't know what she wanted, and she had some kind of special dietary needs.  I couldn't hear the whole conversation, but I could hear her complain to the CM taking the orders about her limited choices.  I heard her say "is that all- I can only pick from these three things?"  And then, "may I speak to the chef?".  Mind you, it is very clear that this guest is holding up the only line in the place where the rest of us can order.  Of course, she wouldn't think to step aside so the rest of us who knew what we wanted could order.  Nor, did the CM at the podium suggest it, because that wouldn't be magical.  A couple of minutes later, a chef comes out from back with a big notebook so she could review things with this guest. Fortunately, the chef had enough sense to pull the lady aside and let other guests place orders.  But, what the heck?  This is a quick serve location, not some fancy restaurant.  Does this lady do that at McDonalds?  She's a grown woman. She knows what she can and cannot eat.  There were three things on the menu she could pick from, but none of those were good enough for her.  She needed something special.   All the while making the rest of us wait.  Disney creates this problem, and the bloggers make it worse.

TCD

I wonder what would happen if Disney instituted a policy that ANY deviations from menu required an X% surcharge. While I like to think that paradise in central Florida was erected to make just MY day magical, the business side of me knows better. Like any other business, Disney relies on economies of scale. If x% of your clientele is driving x+1 of your costs, then that "+1" has to come from somewhere. Since managemt is driven to a margin target, you either raise cost for all the "non special request" clientele, or add a surcharge for the "special requests." No matter which side you are on, this is a fairly simple business model. No emotion, just profit and loss. Less special requests equates to shorter wait times for all.

I wonder what would happen if Disney instituted a policy that ANY deviations from menu required an X% surcharge. Since managemt is driven to a margin target, you either raise cost for all the "non special request" clientele, or add a surcharge for the "special requests."

How could they pull that off? I don't think they could charge extra for allergy meals, the ADA covers food allergies as a disability. Wouldn't that be like charging someone who uses a wheelchair extra?

... the business side of me knows better. Like any other business, Disney relies on economies of scale.

I do wonder if that came into play with the decision to move Chef TJ - especially at 'Ohana where the entire menu is built around "we serve a limited number of things in large quantities". 

From some of the posts I've seen on other forums, this guy had quite the following with people specifically stalking seeking him out for his "special" meals - whether they truly needed them or not.

How could they pull that off? I don't think they could charge extra for allergy meals, the ADA covers food allergies as a disability.

I don't think they could, - which might be why it was just easier to move him.

(total speculation based on zero information)

I bet that is why he did get moved. It makes sense from a $$$ standpoint. O'hana doesn't need any help getting people in but TE isn't always packed solid. I'm sure Disney is well aware of his following.

It's also a lot easier for people at MK to hop over to the Poly, where a lot of people might not even be aware the Fort exists, much less would go eat at a CAMPGROUND.  :rofl2:

It's also a lot easier for people at MK to hop over to the Poly, where a lot of people might not even be aware the Fort exists, much less would go eat at a CAMPGROUND.  :rofl2:

The ones that do stoop to coming to The Fort, are likely doing so to go to MBYBBQ or HDDR - not to actually eat with the low life campers at TE.

I had a Cast member ask where we were staying  a few years  back. I said Fort wilderness. She said next  time  we should try staying on disney  property.