A Strange Call with Disney Dining

So, I just got off the phone with Disney Dining. I was attempting to find out the ACTUAL cost of the Trails End Buffet on November 23rd. We have reservations and some friends from the area are trying to decide whether to join us or not.

The girl I spoke with told me that it depended on what I ordered. Now, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it an all-you-can-eat buffet?  As in one price for all?

I told her this. She put me on hold to consult with a fellow cast member. She then came back and assured me that it was based on what I ordered. I know there is al la carte take out, but she had my rez number and it is clearly for the buffet. What am I missing?

I feel like I am in the twilight zone. Am I crazy? (Don't answer that.) :huh:

My main concern was just that I hadn't gone insane. It was just one of those very difficult conversations that make you feel like you are speaking a foreign language.  I even, said, "Breakfast is a buffet, correct." The reply, "Yes."  I say, "And it's all you can eat?" The reply, "Yes."  So I asked, "How then does it matter what I order?".... crickets.

Based on her logic, I must log all the food I eat, as I eat it....and I will be eating the heck out of those cheese grits and mickey waffles.

She put me on hold again, but I had to go to a meeting (because even though my fiend-life seems to the contrary, I sometime have to do actual work) so I hung up and just posted here instead.

I always call and get exact prices for holiday week buffets. I've never had a problem. Just try calling back. I'm sure the next person will know.

Well you're lucky. 

I remember your saying that you do this, so I called the Dining number on our last visit to find out what I would be charged for dinner at the Liberty Tree Tavern.  I called, and the lady in the New Jersey call center looked it up on her computer and told me. When I got the bill, it was more than what I had been told on the phone.  Not much I could do about it then.

That's pretty darned ridiculous. But, as I've noted before, I'm the only one who appears to care about this practice.  The rest of y'all are more than happy to open up your wallets and fork over whatever Disney asks.

Why can't they publish the prices on their stinking website?

TCD

Well you're lucky. 

I remember your saying that you do this, so I called the Dining number on our last visit to find out what I would be charged for dinner at the Liberty Tree Tavern.  I called, and the lady in the New Jersey call center looked it up on her computer and told me. When I got the bill, it was more than what I had been told on the phone.  Not much I could do about it then.

That's pretty darned ridiculous. But, as I've noted before, I'm the only one who appears to care about this practice.  The rest of y'all are more than happy to open up your wallets and fork over whatever Disney asks.

Why can't they publish the prices on their stinking website?

TCD

I agree it sucks.

Why can't they set one price and leave it that way all the time like every other restaurant in the world?

Now that I'm limited to traveling during school holidays, aka peak season, I now assume I will be paying the highest possible rate they show on the website, which is what I usually get stuck with.  If it is less, that's a bonus.

Since we are no longer regulars and can only go to Disney once a year, we don't have a choice but to suck it up and pay what they want or skip it altogether, we no longer have the option to eat there later during an off peak time.

Does it suck?  Yes.  Am I going to skip 'Ohana? heck No!

WBI

Don't lump me into that group!

OK, then it's just you and me, Gwen.

Why can't they set one price and leave it that way all the time like every other restaurant in the world?

They could do that.

But, they don't have to.

They know that guests will pay whatever they charge.  The same exact food could cost $60 one day, and $30 the next week, and they won't tell you which day is which.

TCD

I've always found allearnet to be pretty accurate.  They give a "range" for the buffets, stating that the prices can fluctuate based on the season, etc. so, if I were you, I would just say that it is going to be the highest amount since it's Thanksgiving week as my estimation.

Here is the link- last verified Aug `14:

http://allears.net/dining/menu/trails-end/breakfast

Or you could have asked on a website called Fort Fiends.Net.

Currently they're showing that the price will be the same on the 23rd as it is today, $17.03.

No guarantee that it won't change, but that's what it's showing today.

Trail's End Restaurant Breakfast 

Booked in a la carte, Casual Dining, Buffet, Indoor, American Cuisine, Resort Casual 

Date:  11/23/2014   

Hours: 7:30AM-11:25AM

Prices: Adult: $17.03, Child: $10.64 $$ ($15 to $29.99 per adult)

Payment Methods Accepted: Travelers Checks, Key to the World, Cash, Visa, Disney Dollars, American Express, Disney Rewards Card, Master Card, Diners Club Card, Gift Card, Disney's Visa Credit Card, Discover, JCB, Disney Gift Card, KTTW Package Entitlements, Dreams Reward Card

Price Includes Tax but not Gratuity

Price includes non-specialty drinks such as sodas, coffee, tea, iced tea, lemonade, punch, and milk.

Currently they're showing that the price will be the same on the 23rd as it is today, $17.03.

Booked in a la carte, Casual Dining, Buffet, Indoor, American Cuisine, Resort Casual 

Date:  11/23/2014   

Payment Methods Accepted: Travelers Checks, Key to the World, Cash, Visa, Disney Dollars, American Express, Disney Rewards Card, Master Card, Diners Club Card, Gift Card, Disney's Visa Credit Card, Discover, JCB, Disney Gift Card, KTTW Package Entitlements, Dreams Reward Card

Price includes non-specialty drinks such as sodas, coffee, tea, iced tea, lemonade, punch, and milk.

Look, Moneybags, maybe you don't care if you get charged $15 or $29.99, but some of us do.

We don't have access to the site you have access to.  If one of us made an on-line reservation today, we would be told it might be $15 or it might be $29.99, or somewhere in between.  I'd like to know what I'm going to be asked to pay before I get there, and there's no way for me to do that without calling the stupid Dining Phone number.  And even if I do call the number, there's no assurance that what I'm told will be correct.

What is galling is that they have the information- that's what you're seeing on your magic website- but they don't offer that information to the paying customers.

TCD

Look, Moneybags, maybe you don't care if you get charged $15 or $29.99, but some of us do.

Are you reading the same post that I posted?

Where did you get that I don't care what I get charged?

Here's what I posted.

We don't have access to the site you have access to. 

And that's why I said you can ask on here and I will look it up.

Date: 11/23/2014

Not a dining problem, but a problem with people that know what the heck is going on.

Example Halloween cart parade. Now I was pretty sure it was going down the main road like the 4th of July did. But being a concerned fussbudget, while we were at the dog costume contest I asked one of the CMs. She said the hitch unhitch down the front of the meadow to the settlement area.

So next day, we are down by the Settlemnt for the character meet and greet (another fiasco, no one there knew where the characters were going to be)! On the way down there were tons of people and chairs lined up along the back road by the 1400 down to the intersection. So where is the cart parade going to be?

I called the Outpost, got 2 people that didn't know what I was talking about... Cart parade? Put on hold, let me check, came back uh let me try someone else. This went on for,10 minutes. My wife walked to the Settlement ticket window and confirmed in 2 minutes that it was down the main road.

C'mon people this,isn't rocket science. Keep your notes and information by the phones.

At least HDDR you get the price when you book.