OK, here is one that I have been thinking about. I live in South Florida about 3 hours away from the Fort. I have to believe there are allot of last minute cancellations. What is the likelihood of calling in the morning and getting a same day reservation? Guessing it would be better to call the Fort directly?

Has anyone tried this and is it feasible? Figured if I called around 8 or 9am I could be there by the 11am check in.

Steve

OK, here is one that I have been thinking about. I live in South Florida about 3 hours away from the Fort. I have to believe there are allot of last minute cancellations. What is the likelihood of calling in the morning and getting a same day reservation? Guessing it would be better to call the Fort directly?

Has anyone tried this and is it feasible? Figured if I called around 8 or 9am I could be there by the 11am check in.

Steve

I haven't done the same day, but I did do the day before at like 5 or 6pm back in June. Our kids were traveling remarkably well and we literally ended up a day ahead of schedule for our drive down. The problem was that we couldn't check into the next place without messing up our reservation. So we did an overnight at the fort! (My only fort stay, actually.)

Was thinking similar to regular hotel rooms that even with the charge, things come up and plans change. Over the years I have made many same day reservations during in some cases very busy times. Have called on a Saturday morning after the websites show no rooms and found a room. Thought maybe this would also happen at the Fort. 

Also I know in many cases in order to get the dates you want, you have to book a longer stay and then modify the reservation. 

Most other hotels though let you cancel the day of arrival and not loose the deposit. And for when I book longer periods to get the dates someone needs I drop the extras as soon as I can. Either immediately or as soon as a customer decides on their final dates. 

If you're talking weekends, I'd say the odds aren't in your favor.  The big reason you have to play the "book longer and drop days" game with Fort reservations is particularly because of the weekends.   In mid November (usually a slower time) the weekends were jam packed, even when it was a ghost town during the week.

Still... if you're close enough to go last-minute, can't hurt to call.  :)

I have come to Disney a day early and decided I would stay at all stars. When going up to the check in desk, they picked up the phone, called central reservations and handed the phone to me. Once on the phone, the peeps there then told me that I couldn't have my annual pass holders or Florida discount because I was only making a one night payment. The days where you could drive up and get a reservation at any resort, much less the Fort, are long over. It would probably best for you to call central ressies before you leave and see what is available or even the night before. That way you don't get so aggravated like I did the last time I tried it.

I have come to Disney a day early and decided I would stay at all stars. When going up to the check in desk, they picked up the phone, called central reservations and handed the phone to me.

When we flew down for the 24 hour day, we tried to extend our stay at POP one more night by going to the front desk.  They said we'd have to call CRO ourselves and that they couldn't help us.

I think the problem is that plenty of people are, which is why so many others have a hard time getting reservations.

Weekends at the Fort these days are jam packed, regardless of what time of year it is.

Great if you're close enough to get there for a weekend and smart enough to plan in advance.

Not so good if you only come once in a while and are looking for a couple of weeks and/or don't plan many months in advance.

Nothing available for Saturday on Thursday evening. (web or central res) Operator said cancels are released right away and they have access to them. Also said that during the busy periods I should reserve WAY in advance.

Tent site available on Friday evening. (central res)

4am Saturday morning I had no problem getting a same day Premium site off the website. Drove up and was on site by 11am.

So although is is not reliable or for the faint of heart.. It appears that in this case a same day reservation worked.

I was going to say we have done it.  We went to the Keys and got bored -headed to the fort early and got a site for the days before our resies were suppose to start.  But, I was thinking maybe something changed and you can't do it.  But, I guess it can still be done.  Good for you.  enjoy your trip!

Nothing available for Saturday on Thursday evening. (web or central res) Operator said cancels are released right away and they have access to them. 

Interesting that they told you that. I have always been told by them, and it has seemed to hold true, that sites cancelled release at Midnight. 

Not at the Fort, but one time on our drive down, we were going to stop in South GA, but were making such good time that we called on the drive and were able to get that night added to our All-Star room. This was actually July 4th weekend

We also actually got a same day weekend reservation at the Fort on a Thursday for 3 nights. We were drivng to South Alabama with the camper, and on a whim called reservations and they had a site for the weekend, so we kept driving. This was a random weekend in June, no holiday involved