You must not spend much time in the big toy store at Dowtown Disney.

Has anyone ever finished a game of Monopoly?

TCD

ummm lots of them. Most recently Sunday night. My family was huge on board games growing up. We have played epic Monopoly games but most are finished within 1-2 hours due to the cuthroat way we battle each other. LOL

I need an upgrade I don't have the pop up castle

25 years ago it would've been a big impressive hard plastic castle complete with eye gouging pointy turrets and spires.

Now, sadly it's probably flimsy cardboard that you have to spend and hour trying to insert tab A into slot B before you can start playing.

I would imagine the majority of the people probably never put it together after the first couple of times playing.

Getting slightly off topic (still pertaining to games) has anyone been as disgusted as me with the costs of kids games and the poor quality?

We have been buying games and puzzles for the granddaughters from Goodwill and yard sales for the last few years, so now we have a closetful,  and if we had paid full price it would be over $1000. Yes, we look up the original prices on line either in the store or when we get home

We get the games from $1 to $3 and sometimes will splurge on a $4 one (Deluxe Scrabble with the revolving turntable board).

Some are reissues of old classics, Connect 4, Rebound, Mouse Trap, etc.  All are a lot flimsier, poorly made and a lot more expensive when they were first released.  The newer Scrabble Turntable version went from heavy larger wooden tiles(we still have ours from about 1975), to lighter slightly smaller wooden tiles to now cheezy plastic ones.

A lot of the games are by these smaller companies that are supposed to be educational... they may be or may not be, but what that does is allow them to jack up the prices sky high.

Many of these games are just variations of others they have made, with a different name, pieces, etc.

Since we get them so cheap, we figure even if we play it once or twice and end up hating it, it's not a big loss. We can either take them to the consignment shop or back to Goodwill.

We have found some hidden gems in those odd games that we all enjoy playing. 

We look for ones that everyone can play and also ones that just the adults and our 9 year old GD enjoy.

We have found a few of our childhood games that we used to love, and about 95% of them our granddaughters think are lame!  What a let down.

Rant Over...

We have found a few of our childhood games that we used to love, and about 95% of them our granddaughters think are lame!  What a let down.

This is why when my parents moved years ago, I grabbed ALL the board games.  I've since shared a bunch with my nephew but still have the classics... Clue, Monopoly, Scrabble, Stratego, Battleship...

Does Princess Monopoly count?

Yes!!  :)

Speaking of board games. Spot it! is tons of fun. Adam just got the camping version for Christmas, plus it's small so I can carry it in my diaper bag and we can pull it out whenever. And it's fun for adults and kids.

Funny... Bailey go that gift too.  Is it sad that I actually have to try, in order to beat my 7.5 year old :)   Man she's fast....

Speaking of board games. Spot it! is tons of fun. Adam just got the camping version for Christmas, plus it's small so I can carry it in my diaper bag and we can pull it out whenever. And it's fun for adults and kids.

We've carried and played Spot It for a few years. I agree, it IS a ton of fun. We also just got the camping version but I haven't played it yet.

We've carried and played Spot It for a few years. I agree, it IS a ton of fun. We also just got the camping version but I haven't played it yet.

There's a .... wait for it... FROZEN version available now also!!  Gee who would've thought....

I'm so thankful that my house didn't become frozen infected! My daughter likes it, but isn't obsessed.