Man Overboard on RCCL saved by DCL

Could be fake...then again, if I dared to step on a cruise ship, that would probably be me...woman overboard.  Either that or the ship would sink, catch on fire or everyone on board would catch some horrible disease. 

Yep...that's why I'm not going on a cruise :)

We had a wave go over the flight deck on a carrier and that's 90' up so anything is possible, but?

I bet that didn't happen 8 miles of the coast of Cozumel.

Also. If the seas are rough they don't allow any one on the open decks except the Lido (upper deck).

That's why I added "but?"....

I wonder how credible this source is.  I ran across the story this morning and it sounded fishy so I Googled it and it didn't show up on any news outlets at all, just the Inquisitor site (no idea who they are), "Cruise Law News" (which seems to be a site focused on people going overboard?) and in Spanish on a Mexican newspaper site.

Even now the only regular news source I can find reporting it is one Orlando station and they've only got 4 paragraphs, no details and no source cited.

This stuff usually makes the news pretty quickly, and I'd think especially so if these circumstances are true - man falls off one ship and picked up by another?

I think I call shenanigans.

I'm still not seeing this story on *any* regular news outlets. 

However I did find another interesting story published by The Inquisitor, who seems to have been the first to break this story...

http://www.inquisitr.com/1534453/ufo-sighting-by-carnival-cruise-ship-passengers-spot-suspicious-object-flying-over-florida-waters/

That's the first story I've seen that wasn't just a rehash of the original.

Given ABC = Disney and they actually have alleged first-hand reports, I guess it really is true.

Still really odd to me that the story flew under the radar for so long.

The incident was reported by Brian Williams on last night's NBC Nightly News telecast, complete with the same video footage used by ABC.

The rescue part apparently is true.  The guy getting knocked off the ship by a wave can't possibly be true.

TCD

The guy getting knocked off the ship by a wave can't possibly be true.

Yeah, I still haven't seen a reasonable explanation for that part, and it's interesting there's no mention in the ABC article of how he ended up in the water in the first place.  Maybe they didn't believe it either.  8)

On the way from the port to MCO, the driver from the service we took asked us if our ship followed one from another company often.  I never noticed if it did or did not, but he said there had been several people "fall" off Carnival ships (I think it was Carnival he mentioned, may have been RC).  He even mentioned the joke going around was "What's the easiest way to get a free Disney Cruise?  Book on Carnival and then jump off."  I asked why someone would jump off a ship, as it meant certain death.  He thought most were attempted suicides and alcohol likely played a part....and apparently there is a lot of alcohol consumed on other cruise lines.  After being on a cruise ship I know there is definitely no way someone just falls off, or gets hit by a wave, even on the lowest exposed deck, which is several stories above the water. 

He even mentioned the joke going around was "What's the easiest way to get a free Disney Cruise?  Book on Carnival and then jump off."

Wiow!!

No doubt there is a lot of drinking on cruises, and I wouldn't be surprised to know that was a contributing factor in many cases.

We were on a RC cruise in 2002 and a crew member jumped overboard.  The alarm sounded shipwide very early in the morning (around 6am and it was still dark). Rumors were that he was intoxicated and upset over a girl, but take that with a grain of salt.

Our ship circled the area for a full day, and they brought air support in to search as well.  He hadn't been found by the time we headed back on course.

In addition to the impossibility of a wave, the railings along the side of the ship aren't exactly low.  The wave would have had to come up from behind him and scoop him up and off the ship.

Yeah, I still haven't seen a reasonable explanation for that part, and it's interesting there's no mention in the ABC article of how he ended up in the water in the first place.  Maybe they didn't believe it either.  8)

The story just aired tonight on WESH 2 (Local Orlando NBC affiliate). The did say they were in rough seas.

We had a wave go over the flight deck on a carrier and that's 90' up so anything is possible, but?

That's why I added "but?"....

Well that explains the guy's story then.

Rough seas.

So rough that there was a giant wave that nobody saw and swept just this one guy overboard without anyone noticing. 

OK

TCD

It's all in jest as to how he went overboard. Andrew.

It's all in jest as to how he went overboard. Andrew.

I understand.  I wasn't poking fun at you- I was poking fun at the "news" for reporting that the seas were rough.

Sadly, we don't have journalists any more.  We just have a bunch of talking heads who report whatever they hear.  How hard would it be to consult with a weather service and maybe explain in the news report whether it's possible for a giant wave to appear out of nowhere and sweep a passenger off of the world's largest cruise ship.

TCD

I understand.  I wasn't poking fun at you- I was poking fun at the "news" for reporting that the seas were rough.

Sadly, we don't have journalists any more.  We just have a bunch of talking heads who report whatever they hear.  How hard would it be to consult with a weather service and maybe explain in the news report whether it's possible for a giant wave to appear out of nowhere and sweep a passenger off of the world's largest cruise ship.

TCD

This reminds, I recently saw Ron Burgundy part two, it's dumber than the original, but its all about the creation of a 24hr news channel and about the transition from journalism to the talking head type of news we have now, so that part was pretty funny.  They literally tell him to just speculate on everything.

WBI