Anyone ever stay at a Wal-Mart?

Hi gang,

Was planning our March trip and looking for some stops coming from Pittsburgh. Usually we stop in Va. but are going to try and make it farther this time around. I hope to drive about 7 to 8 hours after working a half day and that puts me in the Columbia, SC area. I spotted a wal mart on Killian road right off of I77. So my question is, have you ever wal-marted? Will my wife feel safe enough to not keep me up all night? Any input appreciated

AP

We have stayed at several over the last few years. (As well as some Cracker Barrels, Flying J's and Sams Clubs..) The first time or two it was hard for me to sleep due to worry, but now it has become somewhat routine, plus we usually are stopping late when we are already tired.    We look for WM's on the list at a website that keeps an up to date check on which ones are OK for ONP (overnite parking).  We also look for other RV's in the lot.  A couple of times we have continued on when it didn't seem right, or if there were new signs up prohibiting RV's.    The only issues we have had so far were loud trucks or street sweepers coming by early in the AM sometimes.

If you can make it just a little farther down the road, there's a Cracker Barrel right off I-26 in Orangeburg, SC.  We always overnight there on the way home from the Fort.

It's easy in, easy out, and very quiet in the evenings.  We usually have several other RV'ers there too.

Yup.  We've stayed in Walmart's lots.  You can tell the kind of area you are in.  There are times that we will go in ask the manager if it is okay. Of course we always have a purchase in our hand,too.  ;)  

Get the next exit-they will tell you which are rv friendly.  You can probably get a 2014 book for less money now- since it's a new year.  check ebay.

For that area, we stayed at the Walmart in Dillon, SC.

I do recommend always asking; even if there are other RVs already in the lot. Either call ahead or go inside.

Make sure to remember that you're parking and not camping. Slides are acceptable if they're where they won't encroach on drive ways but awning, grills, chairs, etc aren't.

Thanks for the replies so far. I like Gwens cracker barrel idea the best so far. I would offer my driveway up as well, but it's a pretty good slope and my 5 er drags a little tail!

I was going to suggest the same.  While I have stayed in WalMart in the past, I would not stay at the one on Killian Rd.  I live 40 mins northeast, so I am familiar with the area.  Orangeburg is a better fit in my opinion.

• 2 months later...

If you can make it just a little farther down the road, there's a Cracker Barrel right off I-26 in Orangeburg, SC.  We always overnight there on the way home from the Fort.

It's easy in, easy out, and very quiet in the evenings.  We usually have several other RV'ers there too.

Gwen, that stop was awesome. Left us only 6 hrs the second day, and we felt much better with other rvers there than a single target in a wally world lot. Only issue- the freight train somewhere near by!

Thanks again

Gwen, that stop was awesome. Left us only 6 hrs the second day, and we felt much better with other rvers there than a single target in a wally world lot. Only issue- the freight train somewhere near by!

Thanks again

Really?  We've never heard a freight train there.  Sorry!

• 2 weeks later...

We have stayed at Walmart and always go on the site to verify that we can park there.  However, the past 2 trips we have stayed at South of the Border campground.  It's only about $25 per night and is easy on and off of I95.  It gives us a chance to turn off the generator and plug in the MH for the night.  It's clean, but not fancy.  Since we are only staying for the night that is all that matters.  We are coming from northern Harford County in Maryland.

I would be vary weary of staying at a Walmart these days. I know the section of town the Walmart is in makes all the difference, but I can't tell you the last time I was in any Walmart and said,"what a nice clean and family friendly store". That kind of Walmart is hard to find these days. I read more and more on how walmarts are becoming the #1 area for police calls these days. Whether it be shoplifters, assault, cars broken into or homeless people causing trouble. I would much rather look for a Cracker Barrel or a flying J. Not that they are 100% safe either