Eating a WDW will cost my family a small fortune.  Christina, momofmany, had the idea of spliting meals between children to save a few bucks. I have also seen some sites claiming that it is better to order a kids meal. The burger might be a bit smaller but the amount of fries are the same and you get juice/milk and some fuit for less than an adult meal.  

So my questions are

1. What are the best places, QS or TS, that give you the most bang for your buck and could be split?

2. What are your thoughts on the childrens meals? Are there places where it is better to order a kids meal?

3. This question is more for Marty but other chime inas well. What have you found to be good bring along lunches? 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The official policy is that you aren't supposed to park at another resort to go to a park.  There are times of the year when they are strict about this, and will only allow guests registered at that r

TCD is referencing Josh... my work here is done! 

I have both of those items. They're only included in the deluxe package, however. 

3. This question is more for Marty but other chime inas well. What have you found to be good bring along lunches? 

We found wraps worked really well.  

BLT's was not so good because after a few hours in the backpack, the tomatoes were more like tomato sauce.  

Another good one was sausage and cheese.  I bought a summer sausage and some bricks of cheddar cheese.  The night before our park day, I sliced those up and put them in bags.  I also brought some crackers, still in the original box.  They weren't too crushed.  

We used Gladware to transport already made sandwiches.  One nice thing with that is I could make each child the sandwich they wanted and then put it in a Gladware and write their name on the top.  We eat a lot of Hillshire Farms lunch meat which comes in Gladware, so I didn't mind throwing them away after we had eaten.

HTH!

Oh, and my experience with kid's meals was hit or miss.  The burgers i got that were kid's meals were cardboard like.  Tasteless and of dubious nutritional value.  However, other kid's meals were much better.

I am posting this question again because I think it got lost in the shuffle.  Would you say I should plan on the same travel times for all the main parks?

Animal Kingdom could be a bit longer, especially if Blizzard Beach is open. It is the furthest actual driving distance, and the buses stop at Blizzard Beach on the way there

Hopefully not hijacking, but while reading thru this thread, I had to chime in to tell all that my wife's nickname is the  "DISNEY NAZI" - that is because she meticulously plans each and every moment of our day months and months in advance and woe be to the poor soul to messes up her careful plan (usually me..)

I missed the first boat from FW to MK only once…..never again…. :th_2mo5pow:  :flush2:

Hopefully not hijacking, but while reading thru this thread, I had to chime in to tell all that my wife's nickname is the  "DISNEY NAZI" - that is because she meticulously plans each and every moment of our day months and months in advance and woe be to the poor soul to messes up her careful plan (usually me..)

I missed the first boat from FW to MK only once…..never again…. :th_2mo5pow:  :flush2:

I'm a semi-flexible planner. Some changes I can roll with... others totally freak me out. If I'm trying to hit RD, missing the boat would go in the second category. 

I'm a semi-flexible planner. Some changes I can roll with... others totally freak me out. If I'm trying to hit RD, missing the boat would go in the second category. 

Obviously I'm a semi-flexible obeyer!  LOL!    She's gotten better over the years, ….or perhaps I've gotten more obedient...

lol Yeah I understand the Disney Nazi.  I  plan down to the minute and well in advance.  If you look at my trip ticker you can see I have a ways to go but Disney is a major trip, If you fail to plan to plan to fail.  That being said MK is the only park I take serious and I am extremely laid back with the others. 

Alright, I tracked down a bad photo of the kid's chicken Caesar salad at Sunshine Seasons. I think it was $6.99. It was a full plate, but it's partially eaten here. It also comes with 2 sides and a drink. It's a lot of food for the price. I tried it, and it was very good. 

IMG_7637.jpg

If you're into that kind of food, the Shwarma platters at the Tangierine Cafe in the Morocco pavilion at Epcot are filling and big enough to share.  They run in the $12-$15 range.

There's a picture of one of them in this thread...

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/758-where-in-the-world/?p=304855

Exactly the kind of info I am looking for. Thanks. We don't plan to eat all our meals out but if we want to splurge I would like to make the meal go as far as I can.

The Mongolian beef I had at SS was also very big. 2 kids or an adult and a kid could definitely share it.

I am glad this thread is helping so many.  

I spoke with Christina momofmany and she said that the size of the meals seems to be shrinking. She said she has not been able to split meals between her children like she used to.  This is disappointing but just means I need to be more creative when it comes to feeding my crew.

Okay new question

I have read lots of different travel guides and their opinions on how to tour AK.  Some say do the safari first thing while others say to save it for the end of the day. What are your thoughts and why.

Second Question:

Is it better to try and do EMH at parks or to avoid that park as it might be much busier that day?

We've never made it to AK for rope drop, so I can't comment on how many animals you see first thing.  We have done a lot of end of day safaris, and they're usually very good BUT... timing is everything.  The reason they can be good is that the animals know when dinner time is and start getting active to go get fed.  For instance we've seen the male lion up and pacing up on the rock outcropping at the end of the day.  I did a behind the scenes tour last year and they told us that the chute that leads down to the kennels is right there, and he's pacing waiting to be let down for dinner.

Similarly, the giraffes start congregating at the gate that's on the left off the road.

However sometimes if the timing is too late, you may miss them because they've already been let backstage. 

There's no hard and fast rule for exactly when that happens, and the keepers told us they actually try and mix it up as much as they can to keep the animals guessing and on stage as much as possible.

Best advice for seeing lots of animals on the safari is to go when it's cool - overcast and even rainy is best.  A lot of the animals will be hiding out in the shade and lounging around trying to stay cool when it's hot out.

My 2 cents on EMH... again we aren't rope drop (or AM EMH) people, but we do PM EMH all the time. If you're staying on property and can take advantage of them, the later the park hours, the more the park empties out and wait times drop.  Some of the best times we've had in terms of rides has been between midnight and 3am.  :)

I agree with Mo- we've had good safari experiences at all different times of the day.  I don't believe that morning is better than late afternoon, or vice versa.  I do believe that morning and late afternoon are better than mid-day.

As for EMH's it only stands to reason that a park with a morning EMH is going to be busier than it would be on a normal morning.  What you have to decide is whether that one hour is worth it.  For me, it is at DHS and Epcot.  You can typically hit the big rides there (Test Track and Soarin' at Epcot and Toy Story and RNRC at DHS) in the first hour before things get crazy.  You could then ride some of the less popular rides before you hop from there to another park and use your FP+'s choices at that second park.  Morning EMH's at the MK are good, but your time might be better spent hitting regular rope drop at one of the other parks. For evening EMH's, I generally only find the MK ones to be of any benefit.  Although we did have a nice experience at an evening Epcot EMH two weeks ago.  But, that was a cold evening during January.  Evening EMH's at Epcot aren't fun or worth it on hot summer nights.

TCD

Unless your kids can stay past midnight, avoid the EMH parks. 

And I'm telling you, follow the cheat sheets on easywdw.com for touring. 

I think I can on everything but MK. There is just a specific pattern that we enjoy and it does not start in Princess Land. lol

Of course I am the mother of mainly boys.

I think I can on everything but MK. There is just a specific pattern that we enjoy and it does not start in Princess Land. lol

Of course I am the mother of mainly boys.

So what I did was take what josh had adapted it for us.  Then, once I have a written plan of what we are thinking, I share it on that forum and here and get feedback.  That was extremely helpful!