Westward Ho! To Disneyland We Go!!!!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I decided to go ahead and get started on this trip report.   Some preamble. We always have wanted to do something special for our 25th Anniversary, and years ago we evened dreamed about visiting the D

After World of Color, we waited on the crowds to disperse, then wandered to DTD for some Earl of Sandwich. I had found a Groupon for $10 worth for $5, and was able to buy two coupons, so dinner was pr

By the way...who is this Westward Ho you are speaking of? :rofl3:

Rick is always car shopping

So is David!

... so we had a few unhappy moments there.

Every vacation we have a huge blow-up within the first three days.  Then all is well.  I don't understand it.

Yeah, it happens to us too, mostly when we both have different ideas of what we should be doing that day

I got really behind but caught up! 

Thanks for reading!

Continuing on....

It looks like we rode Roger Rabbit's Spin.... Pretty dumb, but it's now checked off the list

IMG_1553.jpg

Now, we're wandering again, back on Main Street

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

The light in the window of Walt's apartment

IMG_1558.jpg

Next was Jungle Cruise.....

Most of these pictures were pretty bad, not sure why

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

and then Pirates of the Carribbean

IMG_1576.jpg

these were also pretty bad pictures

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

Then it was dinner time. We decided to go to Plaza Inn. This is another counter service with real plates, silverware, and table busing service. There are lots more of these type counter service at Disneyland than WDW.

IMG_1619.jpg

I had the Pot Roast

IMG_1622.jpg

Rick had the Fried Chicken

IMG_1623.jpg

Check out the receipt..... I should have tried the door and shown them the receipt to see if I could get in :)

IMG_1624.jpg

(I'm guessing Club 33 members get the same discount as AP holders, and they hit the wrong button)

More coming soon

One thing I forgot to mention. I'm pretty sure we left the park that afternoon. According to my ride plan, we picked up FP for Indiana Jones Adventure, for a later evening return time. However, the return time was way earlier than the software predicted, and we didn't get back in time.... Fail :(

Coming next, we're waiting for the Fireworks :)

I was really looking forward to seeing those. I had been bragging about how beautiful they were and how Tink actually flew instead of just barreling down a wire.......

IMG_1627.jpg

Here they go

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

Ooooops.... this was NOT the fireworks show I saw years ago, and Tink didn't fly!!!! I was soooo disappointed :(

Rick was pretty tired by then and headed back to the hotel. We had FP for Fantasmic! and I stayed to see it.

Once again, the packed in like sardines viewing areas are definitely not my idea of fun

IMG_1642.jpg

IMG_1643.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

It is fascinating to see how they integrated the show into Tom Sawyer's Island. The areas where the show is performed are guest areas during the day and you don't ever notice.

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

and that ends another Disneyland day.

Why didn't Tink fly?  Do they not do that anymore or was there a weather issue?

I have no idea..... There were a lot of things that seemed to be on a "lite" mode. As if they were only going through the motions getting ready for the anniversary celebration. Things got even "lighter" after the weekend and Star Wars convention over at the convention center was over. More on that later

We're now to Saturday, April 18th.

Another beautiful morning!

IMG_1691.jpg

Couple pictures from our hotel lobby

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

Today, we are back at California Adventure

Today was also the day for our most expensive breakfast ever, but we didn't take any pictures.

We decided to go to IHOP. Rick ordered an omelet, and just started listing off ingredients, instead of looking for a standard omelet that was close to what he wanted.

They priced it as a custom omelet, and our breakfast along with my entree, our juices and coffee, was almost $60.00!!!

Now onto the park

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

We went through and rode Monster's Inc.

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

I thought it was pretty cute. From what I understand, the previous incarnation of this attraction was reaaaaaally bad.

Well that's close to photo limit.

More later

Many years ago when Sarah was quite young, we ate at an IHOP.  It was a stretch for our budget, so I ordered her water to drink.  The waitress asked Sarah if she wanted lemon in her water.  I start saying no, but Sarah is saying yes.  Then the waitress asks Sarah (she was about 5 at the time) if she wants sugar in there as well.  So she brings the water with a lemon wedge, makes a big deal about stirring a packet of sugar in it, then charges us for a lemonade!  

We don't eat at IHOP anymore.

Dinner looked good! 

Being packed like sardines... not so much. 

We don't like holding down a piece of concrete for anything, and this is the way you see these shows every night in both parks, just not our cup of tea.  I wish I had been on the ball enough to book one of the dinner packages, but even so, I don't think those viewing areas are any less crowded. 

I'm all caught up!

Great pictures!

The omelet story sounds like something CP would do, and then I would get hot and we'd have some of those unhappy moments until I cooled down, lol.

Looking forward to more!

WBI

Yeah, fortunately, I just blew that one off, but OY, that was expensive.

Many years ago when Sarah was quite young, we ate at an IHOP.  It was a stretch for our budget, so I ordered her water to drink.  The waitress asked Sarah if she wanted lemon in her water.  I start saying no, but Sarah is saying yes.  Then the waitress asks Sarah (she was about 5 at the time) if she wants sugar in there as well.  So she brings the water with a lemon wedge, makes a big deal about stirring a packet of sugar in it, then charges us for a lemonade!  

We don't eat at IHOP anymore.

I actually really like our local IHOP. We eat there for lunch pretty frequently at work. They have a chicken/mushroom crepe that's pretty good.  At breakfast though, they cream you on the drinks. By the time you get a juice, milk, and a coffee, your up to $10 each

Continuing on... We're just wandering again.

I do recall we went into the Animation Studio, and the section I really wanted to see that had some classic animation history stuff and this thing that spun with Toy Story characters, was taken over by a Frozen meet and greet. So even the California Animation Studio was a boring bust.

IMG_1741.jpg

Sully during a meet & greet

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

We wandering around near ToT

IMG_1745.jpg

Blue skies and palm trees!!!  Aaaaaaah

IMG_1748.jpg

I'm in line for Tower of Terror. Rick sat this one out

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg

Too bad there are not circles above that boiler... that would be a unique hidden mickey

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

and there I am :)

IMG_1770.jpg

California Adventure has some roaming entertainment similar to Hollywood Studios

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

Some more architecure

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

IMG_1782.jpg

The Big Cheese :)

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

Walt's Original Character

IMG_1794.jpg

Looks like we've exited the park

IMG_1795.jpg

Aaaah, we wandering Downtown Disney

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

Photo limit

IMG_1802.jpg

We picked up some goodies from here to snack on

IMG_1803.jpg

Here's one of these weird California Lawyer signs

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1806.jpg

Yes, there is a Lego Store

IMG_1807.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

and a Rainforest Cafe

IMG_1809.jpg

We probably should have had a meal there, cause it was Rick's birthday month and he probably had a coupon on his rewards card. Fail on that one.

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg

Goofy at the Disneyland Hotel

IMG_1812.jpg

Some wall art

IMG_1817.jpg

Looks like we're heading back to California Adventure

IMG_1818.jpg

Here's the same group from earlier performing again

IMG_1823.jpg

and here is where we had dinner plans

IMG_1825.jpg

But that was later in the evening, so now we're wandering Cars Land again

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1827.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

Now we're wandering Paradise Pier again

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

I decided to go single rider on California Screamin

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

This tank is on the wrong coast

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

and we're at picture limit again.

Coming next, the afternoon parade

Wow, when y'all wander, you really wander!  That was a lot of walking from DCA to Downtown Disney and then back again.

I saw that Pixar parade performed at night in December.  It's interesting to see it during the day.  It reminds me that DHS no longer has a regular parade, which is really dumb, considering how few attractions there are in that park.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your meal at Carthay Circle.

TCD

Wow, when y'all wander, you really wander!  That was a lot of walking from DCA to Downtown Disney and then back again.

I saw that Pixar parade performed at night in December.  It's interesting to see it during the day.  It reminds me that DHS no longer has a regular parade, which is really dumb, considering how few attractions there are in that park.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your meal at Carthay Circle.

TCD

The parade was fun to watch. I actually can't imagine it at night.... no lights

That parade is ... umm ... interesting.

It was cute

Love the look of the parade!

Very bright and fun!

Now, it's time for dinner at Carthay Circle. This place is beautiful!! and full of historic Hollywood and Disney photos.

Here we go......

I believe this was from the original theater

IMG_1957.jpg

The decor in our seating area

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

One of the other rooms

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_1962.jpg

One of the iconic Walt photos

IMG_1964.jpg

another dining area

IMG_1966.jpg

The premier night of Snow White

IMG_1967.jpg

My starter..... It was good, but a bit spicy for my taste, but I can't pass up most soups

IMG_1968.jpg

Rick started with a salad

IMG_1971.jpg

I had the swordfish

IMG_1974.jpg

Rick, of course, had a steak

IMG_1976.jpg

We also ordered a bottle of Fess Parker Chardonnay. Had it at Narcossee's in FL, but this for some reason, didn't taste quite like I remembered.

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

Some more pictures around the restaurant... Walt's famous camera

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

This had a plate that said it was the first picture of Walt with Mickey, and the last picture of Walt with Mickey

IMG_1985.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg

We enjoyed our meal there. It was not cheap, but we expected that. The meal was not "amazing", but it was good, and the history in there was fun to see.

Now we're wandering the park after dark

IMG_1994.jpg

and back in our room

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_2009.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

and thus ends another Disneyland day..... The next couple of days, we go off the reservation, so to speak

Dinner looked yummy!  Or maybe I am just hungry.  LOL

Were the beds very high, or was that a low, small couch?

It was a low small couch that we never sat on. We actually requested a 2nd office chair. It was more comfy to sit in the office chair with our feet resting on the bed :)