Westward Ho! To Disneyland We Go!!!!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I decided to go ahead and get started on this trip report.   Some preamble. We always have wanted to do something special for our 25th Anniversary, and years ago we evened dreamed about visiting the D

After World of Color, we waited on the crowds to disperse, then wandered to DTD for some Earl of Sandwich. I had found a Groupon for $10 worth for $5, and was able to buy two coupons, so dinner was pr

By the way...who is this Westward Ho you are speaking of? :rofl3:

Sorry to hear about the expensive breakfast at Hotel Indigo.

I have to give a plug here to the hotel we stayed at when we visited Disneyland- the Park Vue Inn http://www.parkvueinn.com/

Looking at the photos, Hotel Indigo definitely is a nicer facility, but Park Vue serves a complimentary breakfast buffet.  It's not fancy, but it gets the job done, and it's free.

Plus it's closer to the park entrance.

TCD

Looks like another beautiful day at DL for y'all.

It WAS a beautiful day

I'm sorry about Rick's other knee. Hope the surgery is successful.

Safe travels back today.

Me too. I know he's tired of stuff messing up on him.

The DL pics are great.

Hopefully you all will get to do even more once Rick's knee gets fixed.

Safe travels!

Thanks!

Sorry to hear about the expensive breakfast at Hotel Indigo.

I have to give a plug here to the hotel we stayed at when we visited Disneyland- the Park Vue Inn http://www.parkvueinn.com/

Looking at the photos, Hotel Indigo definitely is a nicer facility, but Park Vue serves a complimentary breakfast buffet.  It's not fancy, but it gets the job done, and it's free.

Plus it's closer to the park entrance.

TCD

As I've said before, this hotel was FREE. If I was spending my own money, I might look elsewhere, but.... traveling as much as I do, staying with the same hotel brand (and rewards program) gives you perks like these free stays, room upgrades, and just general better treatment by the hotel. As a Platimum Elite IHG member, they treat me very well, and I will continue to treat them well with my business. (and as I foreshadowed, this was actually not our most expensive breakfast).

Great photos of you and Rick!  And it looks like the weather stayed pretty much perfect.  :)

Thanks, and it did stay perfect!

We're home now, last load of clothes is in the washer, and since my body is still on Pacific time, I have some time for another update.

The area we're seeing now is New Orleans Square. For some reason WDW Magic Kingdom does not have this land.

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

We rode Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. It is essentially the same here as at WDW

IMG_0625.jpg

Although I don't remember ever seeing this skull at WDW

IMG_0626.jpg

Now, we're taking a ride on the riverboat

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

All of the tiered pathways you see from this picture is where folks watch Fantasmic. I'll have more on Fantasmic later in the report

IMG_0635.jpg

They use the Columbia in Fantasmic also. Sometimes it is circling the Rivers of America, but didn't during our stay

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

Splash! We didn't ride, because the weather while georgeous was not hot enough for getting wet

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

The canoes were not running during our stay either

IMG_0643.jpg

Hungry Bear. WDW doesn't have this either, but probably similar to Pecos Bills

IMG_0646.jpg

Some of the "wildlife" on the Rivers of America

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

That set of stairs you see in the distance is what they set up to load guests onto the Columbia if it's running

IMG_0677.jpg

Next it's time for the Enchanted Tiki Room

IMG_0688.jpg

They sell their Dole Whips right at the attraction. There is a line outside, and a line inside the preshow. Usually the line inside the preshow is much shorter

This location cranks them out QUICK. While small, they have about 5 people inside there. Three are making soft serve and floats as fast as they can, and two at the registers. Their floats are not in the hurricane glasses, just in regular plastic cups, but they do add an umbrella with a cherry on the stick :) They also ONLY have pineapple. They don't have any vanilla soft serve, so no swirled Dole Whips.  Unfortunately, we failed on the picture till much later in the trip.

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

and that is photo limit

More from the Tiki Room

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

Now we're wandering New Orleans Square

This is the door to Club 33

IMG_0715.jpg

Wandering some shops

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

Now we're having lunch at Cafe Orleans. Rick had the Monte Christo, and I had a beef mushroom crepe. Both were really tasty :)

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

Next up is Haunted Mansion

IMG_0728.jpg

The building is completely different, but the ride is very similar, although some of the beginning elements such as the stairs are in the queue at DL, where you are already on the ride at WDW. Of course at DL, you actually go down in the stretching room.

Next up is Winnie the Pooh. At DL, Winnie the Pooh is in Critter Country instead of Fantasyland

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

The ride vehicles are a little different too

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

Next up, It's a Small World

IMG_0756.jpg

The outside is quite impressive

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

One thing I noticed about DL Small World is the water channel is completely seperate from the show elements, whereas at WDW, the water extends way past the channel and you feel like it is all integrated.

DL has added some Disney Characters to the lineup

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

and that is photo limit again, and all for tonite!!

As I've said before, this hotel was FREE. If I was spending my own money, I might look elsewhere, but.... traveling as much as I do, staying with the same hotel brand (and rewards program) gives you perks like these free stays, room upgrades, and just general better treatment by the hotel. As a Platimum Elite IHG member, they treat me very well, and I will continue to treat them well with my business. (and as I foreshadowed, this was actually not our most expensive breakfast).

I understand you can't beat FREE.  I only mentioned Park Vue for the benefit of anyone planning a trip to Disneyland.  The Hotel Indigo may be the nicest hotel within easy walking distance to the park entrances, but it's not the least expensive for someone paying out of pocket.

I can't wait to hear about your most expensive breakfast.

Great job on the last updates!  Y'all really got around!  It's a bummer that you didn't get to ride on the Columbia or the canoes.  And I was surprised to read that you thought Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain was pretty much the same as WDW's.  It makes me wonder if something wasn't working right when you rode, because we found Disneyland's version to be far superior to WDW's in the special effects area.

Also- I'm not sure if this is still the case, but the TCD twins ordered Dole Whip floats at the MK a couple of weeks ago, and were told that they are now only serving pineapple Dole Whip at the MK now.  No vanilla.  The twins spoke to a manager there, and he told them that they had decided to eliminate the vanilla to increase efficiency.  I am not sure if that has continued past that weekend, but the manager told them it was a permanent change.

TCD

Every time I see pics of DL I'm amazed at the differences between DL and WDW.

The differences are remarkable.

I understand you can't beat FREE.  I only mentioned Park Vue for the benefit of anyone planning a trip to Disneyland.  The Hotel Indigo may be the nicest hotel within easy walking distance to the park entrances, but it's not the least expensive for someone paying out of pocket.

I can't wait to hear about your most expensive breakfast.

Great job on the last updates!  Y'all really got around!  It's a bummer that you didn't get to ride on the Columbia or the canoes.  And I was surprised to read that you thought Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain was pretty much the same as WDW's.  It makes me wonder if something wasn't working right when you rode, because we found Disneyland's version to be far superior to WDW's in the special effects area.

Also- I'm not sure if this is still the case, but the TCD twins ordered Dole Whip floats at the MK a couple of weeks ago, and were told that they are now only serving pineapple Dole Whip at the MK now.  No vanilla.  The twins spoke to a manager there, and he told them that they had decided to eliminate the vanilla to increase efficiency.  I am not sure if that has continued past that weekend, but the manager told them it was a permanent change.

TCD

This is true about the price, and if I was searching on my dime and didn't have the IHG brand, I'd look elsewhere also. The one other trip I took, I stayed at the Super 8 next door to the Indigo, and only paid $40 something a night, so yes, there are TONS of options all around the parks. I saw Marriott, Ramada, several independents, etc.

As far as Big Thunder, yes the special effects are probably better, but we haven't ridden WDWs Big Thunder in awhile, and quite honestly when racing on a coaster, I personally don't pick up effects that quickly.

i'm disappointed about the vanilla soft serve being gone, because I actually like getting coke floats at Aloha Isle in WDW, and it sounds like that is no longer a possibility.

I love all your pix. You really get a feel for DL.

Pood forn! Yummy!

Funny story about lunch, which affects our dinner later that evening.... I asked Rick to pick the restaurant for lunch.... in my mind, was thinking counter service, but he picked Cafe Orleans, when it came time for dinner, we were still stuffed, but more to come on that later....

Continuing on... We are still on our first full day

After Small World, we took a spin on the Railroad for a full circuit

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

At Disneyland on the railroad, they have a section of Diorama's that are pretty cool

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

Yes, you can see into California Adventure from Disneyland in some spots

IMG_0890.jpg

There is a lot of "icons" construction going on. This is in the Esplanade. I'm guessing they are adding 60th anniversary signage.

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

You could hear a telegraph typing away in one of those building

IMG_0896.jpg

We had a water stop on our tour

IMG_0897.jpg

Just like WDW you can look into Splash Mountain

IMG_0900.jpg

We then took a wander through ToonTown

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

Need water?

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

They had some great effects when you pulled on doors, pushed buttons, etc.

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

And we're closed to photo limit

Next is dinner, We had reservations at the Blue Bayou, but unfortunately, we were still stuffed from lunch :(

However, we still made the best of it.

IMG_0930.jpg

We ended up splitting the beef dish with a $12 upcharge so that we could each get our own sides and appetizer.

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

And that ends our first full day. We headed back to the hotel.

Here are a few pics of our room

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

This one is pretty dark, but you can see the two big windows we had. We had a perfect view of DL fireworks from our room, but we had a huge fail on getting any pictures.

IMG_0933.jpg

Well, I'm off to do more packing for WWW, more later!

Dinner looked really good.

FYI. The telegraph plays the first few lines of the opening speech walt gave the day DL opened.

“TO ALL WHO COME TO DISNEYLAND, WELCOME. HERE AGE RELIVES FOND MEMORIES OF THE PAST, AND HERE YOUTH MAY SAVOR THE CHALLENGE AND PROMISE OF THE FUTURE.”

I always heard people say that the morse code is "broken" or "incorrect l" but I once heard that it wasn't "morse code" but a version old railroad workers use to use. I'm traveling today so I don't have time to research this.

Your room looked quite spacious.

• 3 weeks later...

More terrific photos, Carol!

Thanks!!

I can't believe how much beef you got at dinner, even after splitting it.  It looks like it could feed a family of four!

It was a lot of food!

Great pics!!

Don't realize how much I love topiary til I see them

They are cool!

And DL has a warehouse full of Trails End fried chicken, biscuits, cornbread, cowboy beans, taters, etc?

That's a warehouse full of awesome right there.

e20ab6903179e77904c2f08f0aae1ae5_zpsh0i6

Wow! I just got the reference!!  GAG in the park, perfect!

Dinner looked really good.

FYI. The telegraph plays the first few lines of the opening speech walt gave the day DL opened.

“TO ALL WHO COME TO DISNEYLAND, WELCOME. HERE AGE RELIVES FOND MEMORIES OF THE PAST, AND HERE YOUTH MAY SAVOR THE CHALLENGE AND PROMISE OF THE FUTURE.”

I always heard people say that the morse code is "broken" or "incorrect l" but I once heard that it wasn't "morse code" but a version old railroad workers use to use. I'm traveling today so I don't have time to research this.

Your room looked quite spacious.

That's some neat info, thanks for pointing it out!

Very late to the trip report, but love it!  The evening photos of Tomorrowland are my favorites so far, and that is saying something when you compare it to the pood forn!

Thanks for reading and reminding me I need to continue on this report!!

Time to continue!!!!

We're up Thursday, April 16th. The 2nd full day of our trip.  Today was a California Adventure day. It was also our only rope drop of the trip. We wanted to ride Radiator Springs Racers, and knew rope drop was the only way.

Just a note about our park choices.... Since we are Annual Passholders and were NOT staying on property, we didn't have access to early entry. Disneyland does it slightly differently. If you have a multi-day ticket, you can get one early entry during your ticket days. Resort guests can do early entry every day. Passholders are left out. However, Disneyland treats their passholders pretty well otherwise.

So here we go..

IMG_0948.jpg

This is an ART bus. Anaheim Resort Transit.  This is a bus system that goes around the various resorts in Anaheim to the Disney Parks. There is a fee to ride. I don't know much other than that as we walked everywhere.

Not many pictures in the first part of the morning as we were hustling towards Carsland, but once we entered the queue we started taking pictures

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

We've now boarded our vehicle

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

The detail everywhere is amazing!!

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

and look at that sky!!!!

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

This is inside 

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

Just before you start racing

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

Our opponent

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

and we're off

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

I honestly don't know if we won or not, but boy this was FUN!!!!

IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

Walking through the exit

IMG_1000.jpg

and that is close to photo limit.

Coming next, we continue our day in California Adventure

After riding the Cars, we picked up a set of FastPasses, but then it was time for breakfast. We tried Flo's V8 Cafe.

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

Here's our breakfast

IMG_1004.jpg

Simple fair, but notice, real dishes, real silverware. That was a trend at most of the DL Counter Service, and they had crews at most of the restaurants clearing tables. AND as a Passholder, we got 15% off our meal.

Mater was wandering by as we ate

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

This was the former icon for California Adventure, now I think they've changed it to Mickey's Fun Wheel

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

Now we're wandering again

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

Now we decided to take a wander through the Grand Californian

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

There is a dedicated entrance to California Adventure from the hotel.  We actually had to wait awhile to re-enter the park, as early in the morning ONLY hotel guests can use that entrance. Which is actually a change from my original visit. It used to be first entrance any time of day had to be through a regular entrance, re-entry could be any time.

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

and that's photo limit