What Does it Cost to be a Full-Time RVer?

In the article they show a list of expenses and they have their truck/rv insurance at $196 a month

But when they do the breakdown and explain what the costs are, they list their truck as $374 a year and trailer as $299 a year, which makes it about $57 a month?

I would love to be able to insure a vehicle for $374 a year.  We pay $300 a month for 2 cars and 2 drivers and we're both 60 with good driving records!

I would love to be able to insure a vehicle for $374 a year.  We pay $300 a month for 2 cars and 2 drivers and we're both 60 with good driving records!

That's definitely a big variable in the "your mileage may vary" department and probably has a lot to do with what state you're vehicles are insured in.

Here in NH we insure 3 cars (although none new-ish), our camper (still new-ish), ATV and a utility trailer, for 2 drivers in our 40s (good records) for about $170/mo.

If we cut that down to just the tow vehicle and camper we'd be in for about $1000 for the year for both.

I would love to be able to insure a vehicle for $374 a year. We pay $300 a month for 2 cars and 2 drivers and we're both 60 with good driving records!

Holy smokes! What the heck are you driving?

I have my DW lexus, my Yukon XL, and my boat insured with full coverage, with a $500 deductible. My work mini van, and seadoo, liability only. And I only pay $150/ month. Clean record and in our 40's. Ok maybe one speeding ticket.

I can tell you full timing at the fort would cost A LOT more! I had a real nice neighbor during our stay at the Fort late March early April- he was 80, nice mid 2000's class A. He had been there since October with a few weeks to go- I Figure he stroked a check to Disney for 15 grand for that stay. The addictive power of the Fort is mind boggling.

In the article they show a list of expenses and they have their truck/rv insurance at $196 a month

But when they do the breakdown and explain what the costs are, they list their truck as $374 a year and trailer as $299 a year, which makes it about $57 a month?

Your rate must have a lot to do with living in Florida. I know my brother's rates in the Orlando area on a single car were about double of what we paid for two cars.  

I pay the full 6 month premium at one time and am too lazy to break it down. Our last bill was $425 for 6 months for three vehicles plus the trailer. 

I went from a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 to a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 back in July and my Insurance went up $600 every 6mo. just from that change. 

That's strange. When I checked with our insurance guy our rate actually went down by about $10 if we added a 2015 F150 and removed the 2001 Explorer and B3000. I think it was like $416 for the F150, Mazda CX5 and the trailer. I know it surprised me as I thought the cost would have gone up.

Holy smokes! What the heck are you driving?

I have my DW lexus, my Yukon XL, and my boat insured with full coverage, with a $500 deductible. My work mini van, and seadoo, liability only. And I only pay $150/ month. Clean record and in our 40's. Ok maybe one speeding ticket.

2000 Durango, 2002 Ram1500 2 door, runs about $270 month. Just added a 95 Corolla which is gong to add about another $70 a month.

We get raked over the coals in Fl and more so in Hillsborough County (Tampa). Supposedly because of all the unlicensed drivers and uninsured cars. So instead of cracking down on the lawbreakers they spread out the wealth to the law abiding citizens.

Wow! That's a huge increase. Same coverage and deductible on both trucks?

Yes sir.

Was with Allstate for 18 years.  No speeding tickets but 1 accident 8 years prior (Brake pedal went to the floor and I used a brand new F-250 as a brake pedal).  I went shopping with every company and settled on Erie.  Moved Both vehicles/drivers, Fifth Wheel and Renters Insurance to them and paying $1500/yr.  The Erie agent felt the increase came about because when they do quotes, they do by address.  With that being said, my parents "own" our house, but we are paying the mortgage as they have an insanely cheap interest rate on it.   They were using the house address as theirs while they were Full-Timing.  They were at a KOA when a micro-burst occurred.  A tree fell down on their Class C and on my dad's 5 day old leased Nissan Altima.  According to the agent, he saw those 2 large claims there and suggested Allstate took advantage of that.  He also knew my parents and knew the address situation so he was able to not include their mess in with our quote.  That wasn't easy as my dad and I have the same name as well.   I'm also paying J.C. Taylor $180/year for agreed value coverage on another vehicle.

How much coffee do these people make "effort to reduce this expense though by changing all of our lights to LED bulbs and getting a low watt coffee pot."

Low watt coffee pot?

I didn't catch that part. Lol. Never heard of one.

I can tell you when I switched all my Christmas lights to LED it made quite a difference in my electric bill for the month of December. It almost cut it in half.

But the coffee pot. Your still heating the same amount of water to te same temperature I would think a low watt pot would just take longer to heat the water therefore end up using the same amount of electricity.

But the coffee pot. Your still heating the same amount of water to te same temperature I would think a low watt pot would just take longer to heat the water therefore end up using the same amount of electricity.

According to the electricity savings flyers that come in our electric bills it uses less electricity to take more time and heat things on the stove at lower temperatures. One thing they are big on is using a medium heat setting to boil water as opposed to high. There are no numbers so I can't say whether this scales down to anything noticeable at the individual level or if it is only noticeable when you aggregate the customer base.

I went from a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 to a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 back in July and my Insurance went up $600 every 6mo. just from that change. 

Yes sir.

Was with Allstate for 18 years.  No speeding tickets but 1 accident 8 years prior (Brake pedal went to the floor and I used a brand new F-250 as a brake pedal).  I went shopping with every company and settled on Erie.  Moved Both vehicles/drivers, Fifth Wheel and Renters Insurance to them and paying $1500/yr.  The Erie agent felt the increase came about because when they do quotes, they do by address.  With that being said, my parents "own" our house, but we are paying the mortgage as they have an insanely cheap interest rate on it.   They were using the house address as theirs while they were Full-Timing.  They were at a KOA when a micro-burst occurred.  A tree fell down on their Class C and on my dad's 5 day old leased Nissan Altima.  According to the agent, he saw those 2 large claims there and suggested Allstate took advantage of that.  He also knew my parents and knew the address situation so he was able to not include their mess in with our quote.  That wasn't easy as my dad and I have the same name as well.   I'm also paying J.C. Taylor $180/year for agreed value coverage on another vehicle.

Ouch!

How much coffee do these people make "effort to reduce this expense though by changing all of our lights to LED bulbs and getting a low watt coffee pot."

Low watt coffee pot?

LOL - I should probably go unplug my coffee pot right now.  8)

According to the electricity savings flyers that come in our electric bills it uses less electricity to take more time and heat things on the stove at lower temperatures. One thing they are big on is using a medium heat setting to boil water as opposed to high.

Well I learned something new today!  :)

Low watt coffee pot?

LED bulbs do make a big difference, but it takes a while to offset the extra purchase price.... unless you are going with the 12V LEDs, they aren't quite as bad as the 110V ones.

I think they are being a little extreme on the coffee maker part.  I could see if they had a Bunn, that keeps the water hot in the reservoir, that would use more electricity. 

Maybe they should try making Sun Coffee like people make Sun Tea!

I'm a little skeptical on the entire article, their figures don't seem to add up.  Don't most RV parks include "utilities" in their daily fee?  If they are in a park that includes electric, why not use electric appliances to offset the propane charges.

I'm a little skeptical on the entire article, their figures don't seem to add up.  Don't most RV parks include "utilities" in their daily fee?

For short stays yes, but for longer stays (like seasonals) many charge for utilities. 

That's actually the one (possibly only) thing you could come out ahead on staying for long periods at the Fort, as they don't charge utilities regardless of the length of stay.

For short stays yes, but for longer stays (like seasonals) many charge for utilities. 

That's actually the one (possibly only) thing you could come out ahead on staying for long periods at the Fort, as they don't charge utilities regardless of the length of stay.

Well if the rent they show for over $1000 a month doesn't include electricity, that to me doesn't sound like a bargain.

They have a paid for piece of property in NC, maybe they should park there.