My dad had a pickup truck with a campershell....so me and my 2 brothers would ride on the mattress he threw in the back of the trip......... this was every vacation growing up..... So when we camped mom and dad slept in the back of the truck on the mattress and threw us kids in a tent....

no tv strapped to anything....just me and my smelly brothers in the HOT bed of the truck (under the shell) playing UNO over and over and over again!  :P

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad had a pickup truck with a campershell....so me and my 2 brothers would ride on the mattress he threw in the back of the trip......... this was every vacation growing up..... So when we camped mom and dad slept in the back of the truck on the mattress and threw us kids in a tent....

no tv strapped to anything....just me and my smelly brothers in the HOT bed of the truck (under the shell) playing UNO over and over and over again!  :P

And now a days your parents would be in jail for endangering minors!

Oh gosh... this was us for a few trips.  I can even remember driving through Death Valley and there was NO a/c in the back of that LITTLE truck (actually, not sure if the cab had a/c either).  My parents were at least nice and drove through the desert at night  :lol:

Oh gosh... this was us for a few trips.  I can even remember driving through Death Valley and there was NO a/c in the back of that LITTLE truck (actually, not sure if the cab had a/c either).  My parents were at least nice and drove through the desert at night  :lol:

Heck, forget the VW Bugs... my parents just told us to count (all) cars ;)   If we were lucky, we would drive a long side a train and we could count the train cars... I still find myself counting train cars (when I'm the passenger of course :rolleyes:  ) and my husband and I still play the license plate/abc game!

After my dad retired from the service we lived in an extended stay motel more a couple of months until our house was finished. The Chicago and Northwestern RR had tracks behind the place. I would get so bored I started counting the cars as they went by.

When I went on car trips you got to listen to whatever AM radio station your parents were listening to and the sound came out of 1 speaker in the dash.

You sat in the back seat and read comic books, regular books, ate, slept and maybe had a couple of small toys with you to keep you occupied.

Yup. We had a cooler between my brother and I to "divide our space" it was my parents attempt to keep is from killing each other. We did have car bingo to keep us entertained. I actually just bought some for Adam from target in the dollar spot.

We didn't travel in an SUV or minivan. We traveled in station wagons. Three seaters, with the center seat collapsed for the kids to play and luggage in the rear. And no place to hang a DVD (a WHAT?) or set a TV. There was a bench seat in front and the smallest kid sat in a car seat that hung over the back of the seat. No seat belts or shoulder straps. When I finally got my first MH(18.5' Class C) we had an AC/DC B/W TV, but we could only use it after we parked so we could connect an antenna I had rigged on a pole fastened outside the bathroom window.

I know all about the station wagon! Our third seat actually faced the back window so my brother and I got stuck in the back. Our entertainment was staring at the driver/passenger behind us. It was awkward. Ha! I tell my husband the reason I get lost easily is because I never got to see where I was going.

Ok you haven't lived till you drove from NYC to Southern California in one of these...

image.jpg1_zpsxqsh0jbd.jpg

When I was 7 yrs old dad got a new duty station in Port Hueneme, Ca. So he flew us to NYC and bought a similar 6-door station wagon and rented a truck and trailer, which his best friend and wife drove, and drove himself, mom, me, and my 6 brothers and sister across our great country. No TV, no seat belts, and thankfully I was to young to remember most of it. But every once in a while one or two of my older siblings will tell a story or two about our cross country adventure.

I know all about the station wagon! Our third seat actually faced the back window so my brother and I got stuck in the back. Our entertainment was staring at the driver/passenger behind us. It was awkward. Ha! I tell my husband the reason I get lost easily is because I never got to see where I was going.

This was me as a teenager. I was so thrilled when my parents got a station wagon like that. My older and younger brother, and the dog, got the middle row and I sat in that seat facing out the back window, surrounded by luggage, and pretending I was traveling with a whole different family. You know, the kind that appreciated me!

We had a used 1938 woodie station wagon.  The middle seat didn't go all the way across so had a small area to get in the back.  I think the back seat was all the way at the back window, not sure about that.  Remember begging Daddy to let me ride on the running boards, lost cause, he was safety minded.  Only child here so entertained myself, but remember songs and counting cars or cows.  Did anyone else play pretend hide and seek in the car?  You picked a place to hide, say the top of front window and the others had to guess where you were.  Also laying flat on the seat and watching the trees and sky go by.

My Dad and my Mother's  cousin's husband rebuilt the body of the woodie using picket fence slats!!