Hello all! My little family is new to all of this and very excited to be making our maiden voyage to Fort Wilderness the week of Halloween. We have purchased a travel trailer a few weeks ago and can't wait!!! Our kids have been to Disney since they were babies but not once have we stayed on property and now we get the best of both of our loves...camping and Disney. Does it get any better than that? :huh: So, as a new Fort family can you give us any advice, suggestions or tips to make this as magical as possible for our kids? I already have been planning some Halloween decorations to bring along.  Will there be trick or treating for them? We are scheduled to check out the 31st and haven't been able to secure Halloween night yet, but have been in contact with someone who is graciously helping us to see what he can do. 

post-10649-0-03721200-1430312274_thumb.j

Thanks for any info and if I did this correctly there is a photo of my little family enjoying our last trip down 2 years ago.

Shelby, Mark, Morgan (Mo), Marissa and Mason

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome!

There are a lot of Fiends that go to the Fort for Halloween so I'll let them give you advice but I do know they have trick or treating at the campsites and it supposedly takes a lot of candy for all the kids.

Other than that you'll love staying onsite for the first time to me its a completely different kind of Disney trip.  Plus as you said you'll be at the Fort so it doesn't get any better than that.

WBI

Welcome!!!!!!!! One thing to help your trip is to get out and use that new trailer so you get used to it and also work out any issues in it, that way by Oct. things should be good. I see you are from Pa. real close to home there are few great places to try it out Oak Creek( we should be there Mother's day weekend) Spring Gulch, French creek state park to name a few. Good luck and keep reading here for plenty of info & help on your Oct. trip

Welcome.

Have you made your reservations yet?

If not, get moving, it might already be too late.

And read the threads about the issues cancelling days if you overbook.  Some new policies are in effect.

Halloween is a blast.  We stayed there last year and had my 2 granddaughters.  There is a lot to see and do that is just done for those few days, pet costume parade, pumpkin carving, site decorating, decorated golf cart parade, special "spooky" movies at the campfire (with a visit by the Headless Horseman) and of course trick or treating.

If you take the kids out, you probably wont be able to hand out candy.

We only took them thru 3 loops before they were too tired to go further.

It was very crowded, and with Halloween falling on Saturday this year it'll be even crazier

Halloween is a "BLAST" to say the least.  Just watch those "characters" that invited you to the birthday party, they've been known to get you addicted to more parties at the FORT.  

Unfortunately, we can't make Halloween this year so, welcomesmileys1111111.jpg

Thank you for making us feel welcomed!

Welcome!!!!!!!! One thing to help your trip is to get out and use that new trailer so you get used to it and also work out any issues in it, that way by Oct. things should be good. I see you are from Pa. real close to home there are few great places to try it out Oak Creek( we should be there Mother's day weekend) Spring Gulch, French creek state park to name a few. Good luck and keep reading here for plenty of info & help on your Oct. trip

We have a summer full of trips planned to get to know this camper. We actually are only a mile from French Creek, and know it well! The kids are excited about a place called Lake in the Woods about 10 minutes from the house.

Welcome.

And read the threads about the issues cancelling days if you overbook.  Some new policies are in effect.

Halloween is a blast.  We stayed there last year and had my 2 granddaughters.  There is a lot to see and do that is just done for those few days, pet costume parade, pumpkin carving, site decorating, decorated golf cart parade, special "spooky" movies at the campfire (with a visit by the Headless Horseman) and of course trick or treating.

It was very crowded, and with Halloween falling on Saturday this year it'll be even crazier

We do have reservations Oct 23rd to the 31st. Just trying to secure Halloween night. I keep checking daily for that night to open up (more like overly obsessing). At this point....can we just park in the parking lot and sleep before heading home Sunday morning? :ph34r: (that's me being stealthy). I would just love to have them be able to trick or treat in the Fort and enjoy all the other days activities before heading home. Maybe they won't mind not doing that anyway....I mean we are in Disney for the week.

Again, thanks for the welcoming messages!

We have a summer full of trips planned to get to know this camper. We actually are only a mile from French Creek, and know it well! The kids are excited about a place called Lake in the Woods about 10 minutes from the house.

Welcome.

We do have reservations Oct 23rd to the 31st. Just trying to secure Halloween night. I keep checking daily for that night to open up (more like overly obsessing). At this point....can we just park in the parking lot and sleep before heading home Sunday morning? :ph34r: (that's me being stealthy). I would just love to have them be able to trick or treat in the Fort and enjoy all the other days activities before heading home. Maybe they won't mind not doing that anyway....I mean we are in Disney for the week.

You may have a problem parking in the overflow lot.

Halloween is one of the days they crack down on non guests getting into the Fort parking lot.

We do have reservations Oct 23rd to the 31st. Just trying to secure Halloween night. I keep checking daily for that night to open up (more like overly obsessing). At this point....can we just park in the parking lot and sleep before heading home Sunday morning? :ph34r: (that's me being stealthy).

Unfortunately they don't allow this and like Mark said above, Halloween is one of the times they tend to be extra strict.  But keep trying!!  Cancellations happen, and you might be able to snag something, even possibly last-minute.

I guess I shouldn't have said maiden voyage. I meant our first camping trip to Disney. Either way, I will continue to try and snag that last night and continue to get very excited with anticipation! Is it bad to already be shopping for Halloween décor???

However, you ARE allowed to stay in Disney until midnight of your checkout day..... So leave the camper in overflow, take the kiddos trick or treating, enjoy the activities at the Fort that day, then after trick or treating drive north an hour or so, then finish the drive the next day.

However, you ARE allowed to stay in Disney until midnight of your checkout day..... So leave the camper in overflow, take the kiddos trick or treating, enjoy the activities at the Fort that day, then after trick or treating drive north an hour or so, then finish the drive the next day.

Oh thank you!!! I didn't know that. I thought we had to be out by 11am completely. That's what we'll do if we have to.  

Is it easy getting around Disney parks using the campground transportation?

Oh thank you!!! I didn't know that. I thought we had to be out by 11am completely. That's what we'll do if we have to.  

Is it easy getting around Disney parks using the campground transportation?

Not too bad. Once you park in overflow, then take an Orange bus to get to the Meadows Pool/Campfire/Bike Barn activities, or take any bus to get to the Settlement area (Trail End/Hoop De Doo Marina, etc.)

If you want to go to a Disney park after you drop the camper, take the appropriate park bus right there by the parking lot, or take any Fort bus to the Settlement, and take a boat to the Magic Kindgom.

I'll add this, and to sum it up- be prepared to visit the nicest campground you will ever see. It is a sure fire way to guarantee that every other CG you go to will leave you wishing you were at the Fort. Wife and I spend a lot of time scheming a way to spend more time there- and it's a 15 hour drive for us.

Oh, welcome aboard.

And get the GAG meal with mac and cheese the first night in.

I'll add this, and to sum it up- be prepared to visit the nicest campground you will ever see. It is a sure fire way to guarantee that every other CG you go to will leave you wishing you were at the Fort. Wife and I spend a lot of time scheming a way to spend more time there- and it's a 15 hour drive for us.

Oh, welcome aboard.

And get the GAG meal with mac and cheese the first night in.

I think my husband is already nervous that I'm looking into annual passes. He said "let's just try and get through this 18 hour drive with 3 kids in the back of the pickup first. If we're all still friends when we get home we'll look into it".