Top 10 places to take the kid(s) before they grow up.

We didn't do much family traveling when I was growing up.

We went to Destin, FL a couple of times

Six Flags a couple of times

Opryland

Lutheridge Church Camp in North Carolina

Baton Rouge, Louisiana once. (I found out much later that dad was actually interviewing for a job down there, and he ultimately turned it down due to possible Hurricanes).

Both sets of grandparents lived locally, dad's sister lived in Birmingham.

Most of my traveling as a kid was Scout Camping Trips, Youth Church Camp, and Band and Choir Trips

Nashville and the grand ole opry is on the list.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She was in a life jacket and on my boat before she was 2 months old Kayaking. Does rafting count? We are blessed that we can send our DD to a wonderful school that gets the kids involved in the comm

We went to Mt. Rushmore a couple summers ago and then made our way around to Colorado Springs. My youngest was only 11 months at the time so I have a feeling we'll end up doing that again when he's older.

We have so many places on our list. Problem is time and money and our oldest is 13 so his years at home are getting shorter.

Washington DC. My husband works for the FAA and goes to DC fairly often. If he goes at the right time in the summer we might be able to go with him sometime.

Coastal North Carolina. We lived there when my husband was a marine and want to take the kids to see it. My oldest was born there but we moved home before he turned a year old.

The Northeast--none of of us have ever been

Then West: Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon in Utah, Yosemite, would love to see the Redwood trees. --again we haven't been there.

Next summer my son's boy scout troop has been invited to Northern Tier a camping trip in northern Minnesota. Never been up that way but I guess we will get to experience it. We'll drive him up to the camp and then find something to do for a week. Then we are going to stop off in St. Louis before heading home. My extended family lives in St. Louis but its been years and years since I've been there. Time to show my own kids all the stuff I did as a kid when we visited family.

Mt. Rushmore is probably the next trip we take after Hawaii. My brother lives in Colorado Springs and we've been there a few times. Garden of the gods is really nice.

DC was really cool. We need to go back. 3 nights 2 days just isn't enough to see it all.

I've watched lots of shows, mainly beachfront vacation homes, about the Carolina coast. It likes really nice.

I'd love to hit all the National Parks west of the Rockies. I've been to Yosemite, Kings canyon, and Grand Canyon but DD has not. If y'all have never been you need to load up the RV this summer and hit the road.

The northern Midwest part of our country is beautiful. Just don't go in the winter time. Lol.

I've been lucky and have been around this country a lot growing up camping. There are a few places that definitely need to be visited, but I feel anywhere that is different than what you're used to and anyplace you can experience different foods and ways of life. Also don't forget what is right by you. We live 40 minutes from Philadelphia and we have never toured there yet with the kids. We do go to Christ Church on 2nd which is where Betsy Ross and Ben Franklin attended Church and are buried, so they know about Philly's history, just not all of it.

Best Regards,

Norm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely want to take her to Philly. There's so much history there and cheesesteaks and the Beckers clan.

Depends on what you are looking to do.

Nature

The NE is a good choice, Maine is impressive with it's shoreline and wooded areas that go for miles. NY Catskills and Adirondack mountains, Hudson Valley, Vermont in the fall/winter for the maple processing.

Colorado Spring with The Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak

Florida Everglades

History

Hudson Valley in NY

Washington DC. You can spend a week there easily and still find new things to do

Boston

Museums/Kids Centers

DC see above. Smithsonian and the mint we a lot of fun.

NYC

Boston Seaquarium... one of the best we've ever seen

Oklahoma City has a big science/kids museum

Omaha has a great kids discovery place. The zoo in Omaha blows away the others we've been to. Great art museum and historical museum also.

Kennedy Space Center

Houston has a good zoo and a kids place

Fun Places

Hershey PA

Nashville especially if you like country music

Memphis

Cabbage Patch Land/Hospital

Sesame Place in PA

LEGOLAND

But the biggest thing is go where they are having fun/showing interest.

An old farmhouse/historical site may get you giddy, but if the kids are bored to tears, it's time to move on. Give them little doses of whatever and see what sparks their interest.

All great suggestions. Thanks

My boys are now teens. Over various summers we've done East Coast driving trips with a few days each in Charleston SC, Boston, Philly, NYC and DC (one city each trip; not all at once). Most of these were combined with visits to family. Our visits include a lot of walking around experiencing the city and a major tourist attraction or two. We've done a road trip from Panama City Beach along the coast to New Orleans. We've done Williamsburg several times, the last time combining it with Busch Gardens (week long passes to both places where we did mornings in Williamsburg and evenings at Busch Gardens). Another time we combined it with Jamestown/Yorktown. We've done the Outer Banks in early June (a great time to visit). We've done the width of Tennessee -- Dollywood/Oak Ridge/Nashville/Memphis. Last summer we did a driving trip to Maine (Bar Harbor)/New Brunswick/Nova Scotia/Prince Edward Island. We drove approx. 4000 miles over two weeks and had a blast. While we like to camp, on these trips it's just been easier to stay at motels (basically we camp in a motel room; I'm pretty good at getting a good rate for a basic motel room). I couldn't really make a Top 10 list because I've enjoyed them all.

This summer my boys are going places without me so I'm so glad we traveled so much when we did.

Sounds like y'all have made some great memories. I. Hoping we can also.

Thanks for sharing.

My parents used to take us to Old Sturbridge Village when I was young.  I have many happy memories from there.

My father bought an album sold there. I think I still know most of the songs. :)

I went there with my family a couple of times. I also remember a couple of field trips with school.

Our girls always liked going up to Yosemite when they were younger when we were still living in CA. It was only an hour drive from our house so we had  lots of opportunities for day trips.

I would also suggest any of the museums or the aquarium in Chicago. With the exception of the Museum of Science and Industry all are within  walking distance of each other along the lake shore. While you might think of the Museum of Science and Industry more of a male oriented place both of the girls liked it a lot. It has a great tour of a captured WWII U-boat along with all of the other science'y stuff. 

If you are looking to come out east and like the history stuff there are a number of things in Virginia like Williamsburg, the James Town excavation and a couple of Presidents houses. Rene and I also like Charleston, SC with Fort Sumter all of the other historic things in town and a nice aquarium.  

D.C. Check.

Gettysburg and Williamsburg I think is making the list.

St. Augustine? Haven't thought about there but I bet it is really pretty and historical.

Boston is a must do.

Thanks

I spent a week in St. Augustine last summer, enjoyed it but don't think it would be a good attraction for a youngster. A lot of history and not tailored for younger people. But every adult should go at least once.  

Antietam is a great battlefield as well, and a little more easier as a battle to understand. Gettysburg is huge and there was fighting everywhere, at different times etc. we have been to Chicamauga as well and enjoyed it there as well. Our next trip is Fredricksburg. I have been trying but something keeps coming up.

Best Regards,

Norm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent a week in St. Augustine last summer, enjoyed it but don't think it would be a good attraction for a youngster. A lot of history and not tailored for younger people. But every adult should go at least once.  

I agree.  Definitely an adult destination.  I'll have pics later in my WWW trip report.

Cumberland Island, Ga - went Wilderness camping with the Boy Scouts...lots of bugs, wild horses, no electricity or running water and miles of deserted beaches.  You can do a day trip and see the ruins of rockefeller mansions without camping. It's on the St Mary's exit on the GA/FL line...so can be done on way to FW!

Myrtle Beach, SC - everyone should go to the Redneck Riviera at last once!!!  

DC, NYC, Nashville, Williamsburg are all great places. 

I wish I could say I've taken them out west, but that may have to wait for grandkids!

Cumberland Island, Ga - went Wilderness camping with the Boy Scouts...lots of bugs, wild horses, no electricity or running water and miles of deserted beaches. You can do a day trip and see the ruins of rockefeller mansions without camping. It's on the St Mary's exit on the GA/FL line...so can be done on way to FW!

Myrtle Beach, SC - everyone should go to the Redneck Riviera at last once!!!

DC, NYC, Nashville, Williamsburg are all great places.

I wish I could say I've taken them out west, but that may have to wait for grandkids!

All great suggestions.

Redneck riveria. Lol!

I thought that was South Padre texas.

But myrtle beach is someplace I'd like to visit.

How about Key West, anyone?

Key West is another adult place, a lot there that kids do not need to see. Other places in the Keys are more kid friendly.

I've been to Key West a couple of times and really enjoy it.  But I definitely wouldn't take kids there.