Hi guys, I've managed to save enough money(I think) to buy my 1st travel trailer. I have about $7,500 saved and I'm looking at hybrids/expandable travel trailers in order to keep the weight down, my tow vehicle only has a gvwr of 5000lbs. At 7,500 I'm obviously looking at something used. Do any of you have some tips for a first time buyer like myself? Are there any brands or models I should stay away from and how old is too old when it comes to buying used. I'm hoping to find something that I can have for the next 5+ years or so. Right now my family is just me, my wife, and 2 year old girl, so I don't need anything big, but we do plan on having another kid or two so i have to keep that in mind also.

Thanks in advance.

Oh BTW what ever I buy I'll have it at the fort in Aug!

First off:-gif.gif

JAYCO and STARCRAFT both make something under 5,000 and they are both good quality units. Finding something used should not be a problem. As Carol said besure to check the canvas and also check very closely for signs of any leak.

If you would buy during an RV show you may even find something new for around $10/$12k so with what you have saved the payments would be very small and you have the full 2 year warranty.

Happy shopping

Can't help a lot on brands but can on what to inspect.

On a used RV water damage is the most common problem. Look for water staining along the walls, behind/under the cabinets, bed platforms and so on. Look for soft sub-floor areas. These are indications of past leakage that could point to a current problem. I would also get up on the roof and check all of the sealant for cracks or peeling away. Again these will indicate possible water damage. Give all of the plumbing you can see a look while under pressure to see if they are leaking.

Check the tire manufacture date. Very few trailers will wear out the tread before they age out at around 5-6 years after manufacture (not installation date). 

Check RVTrader, craiglist and other RV specific boards to get an idea of what is out there.  Be patient and don't settle for something just because it's a "good deal".  You'll be spending a lot of time in it (hopefully!) so be as picky about the floorplan as you are about the weight.  

As others have said above, check the roof and look for any signs of past or present leaks or mold and mildew (use your nose when you first walk in).  Any good RV dealer will do a leak check for a small cost.

Jayco, Starcraft (owned by Jayco), Winnebago (started making trailers again a couple of years ago), Airstream, all are generally good quality if they are maintained well. Other makes are hit and miss for the most part. 

There have been a couple of good threads on Fort Fiends recently about others search for the perfect trailer, so again, quoting others above: Do your homework.  :)

Alright guys, you've all basically said everything that I was thinking and what I've read previously. I looked at over a dozen used RVs at camping world in Harrisburg and every single one had damage. I'm actually surprised how bad they for the price they are selling at. One had a big wavy side, another had multiple soft spots on the floor and others had the pop outs cracked or rusted ugh.. So after that I headed to meet a private seller. He has a 2005 Jayco Jay Feather 21J for sale. For the age it seems to be in incredible shape. I did the same check I did at the dealer and it passed with flying colors I even stood on the roof checked the culking and felt for soft spots, the roof is rock solid.

The only thing I found wrong is underneath the kitchen sink the wall paper has bubbled a little. I'm thinking either a window go left open during a storm or the sink had a leak once. I tested the sink and it doesn't leak and the window's calk seems to be in good shape. I even tested the wall from inside and outside and its solid, so is the floor there. Do you guys think this is a deal breaker? I know this is fiberglass trailer so how hard is a repair?

Shouldn't I be able to remove the wall paper, disinfect the area and then repaint and seal the area and I should be good or is it more complicated than that?

I mean everything else on this trailer looks as good as new and I found not other water issues anywhere, also there is little rust underneath also. The guy is asking 7, 500 and Ive already talked him down to 7000 do to the water spot I found. Since I said i'd need to fix it. Its was inspected last month and the tires are a year old. Oh and did I mention that he is throwing in a anti-sway hitch with it.

My gut is saying this is the one but I wanted to see what you guys thought about that water spot before pulling the trigger on this. Personally I can imagine finding another trailer in this good of condition for this price.

Thanks for all the help!

If you push on the wall area if it's still solid (paper only moving and not the underlying wood) all should be good, but definitely look on the outside in the same area for any wave or bubble in the FILON.  What may have also happened is condensation on that window/window frame that ran down.  It could have also been a bad spot in the paneling when it was manufactured and do to it's location it got shipped.

JAYCO makes a very good unit. We are on our 3rd(had sister products STARCRAFT before that) our son has the  17' hybrid and our daughter has a 2001 STARCRAFT hybrid with the 3 bunks and it is still going strong.

If it were me, based on your comments I'd say "GO".

There is also a JAYCO OWNER"S FORUM that you may want to join, lot's of info about JAYCO over there.  

http://www.jaycoowners.com/

The NADA RV guide  ( http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs )   shows that the low retail for that is 6700 and 8100 avg retail in good condition (that's here in NE, your zipcode might give a different price), so he is asking a fair price esp with the add ins.

Is he getting out of camping? If so, what else will he throw in?  What does he say about the wallpaper damage?  He should have some idea what happened, esp since he is willing to come down 500 dollars right away....

Don't forget to have him show you how every onboard system works, water, heat, AC, 110 electric, 12v electric, propane, lights etc etc.  Get all paperwork, esp owners manual.

If you do get this one take it out to a local campground right away and allow lots of time to familiarize yourself with how everything works and start your first "to do" list.....  LOL

And most important, is this a camper that all of you will be comfortable in?  If the floorplan fits your needs, there's no real water damage, the roof is solid and the running gear is in good shape, then all that is left is to agree to a price :)

So the guy is retiring to FL with his wife and they just don't see away that they can take the trailer along with their two cars and a uhual down in one trip. So they decided to put the trailer up for sale.

When I pointed out the damage under the sink he was surprised and proceeded to do the exact test I did early like checking the wall strength and making sure the floor wasn't damaged. He said never had a leak and the wall under the window does looks good so I tend to believe him. We tested the sink and all of the water throughout the trailer. The water pump only came on when I needed water and stay off the rest of the time so that a good sign of no leaks. He then walked me through all the mechanicals and electronics.

I also goto see all of the manuals and he ever explained how to winterize the trailer and how all the hookups work. He was very thorough throughout the process.

As for the layout its perfect for my growing family and I can see us spending many nights in it.

And he didn't exactly drop by 500 right away but before I headed out I asked he was firm and he said not to the right buyer and explained that the reason he priced at 7500 was because he was offering the 500 anti sway hitch as part of the deal. Well long story short he is giving it all to me for 7000 and that includes the hitch and the winter cover all the leveling blocks and the TV inside along with filled propane tanks and even the hoses for the hook ups. Basically I'll have everything I need to go camping right out of the gate.

I'm going to head back this afternoon and do one more check on that panel and if its all good than I'm going to accept the 7000 offer. I'll let you all know how it goes!

It does sound great, and with the price drop if there is a minor problem or two (there always is!....) you'll have the money to have it fixed, or for the parts to start the DIY projects.  :)

1.  As soon as possible schedule a couple of days/nights in the camper with all the manuals in front of you, even if it's in your own driveway. Better to find something that needs attention close to home.

2. Keep a notebook and pen in it at all times to keep to-do and shopping lists. Write down things as they come up.

3. Make sure you get very familiar with the hitch/tow setup before you go too far, don't let anyone distract you while hitching/unhitching.  Check all connections, cables and nuts/bolts at EVERY stop.

4. Before you pull out always check your tail lights and trailer brakes, if either is not working do not be tempted into taking a chance before they are fixed.

I apologize if this is too basic, you sound like you have been studying and that's good!  :)

Steve thanks for all the suggestions. I was thinking about camping in the driveway first just to get a feel. But before I do that I need to go buy my class 3 hitch and my electric break hook up and then get them installed so I can bring this thing home. I plan to have them installed this week and I hope to bring home the trailer next Saturday.

Looks great!  Jayco makes good use of the space in their trailers. Nice tub/shower combo for the kids.  I had 2 pop-ups years ago and I still miss the open-air feel of the canvas and screens but I don't miss having to crank the roof up!

In many ways the hybrid is the perfect trailer, open air of a pop-up, hard walls and full bath of a trailer.  And in a pinch you could leave the beds up in bear country or boondocking at Walmart and sleep on an air mattress or 2.

Speaking of boondocking did you check the date and the water levels on the battery? Always have a good Deep Cycle battery on board for lights and heater fan, fridge controller, break-away, etc. It's also good that it has 2 propane tanks, it stinks to run out on a cold night or in the middle of cooking dinner..... LOL

When you have the brake controller installed make sure to read the instructions carefully, I know the old ones were finicky and had to be re-adjusted each time you hitch up. I hear the new ones are much better but be sure you know how to use it, especially in an emergency.

And BTW, you won't be the first person here who has had the whole family camped in the driveway the first night or two after bringing it home    ;)