This past weekend, we took a trip up to Hiawassee, Ga (about 20 minutes outside of Helen).... and I have to say, I think I've found a great spot for a GG!  SUPER sweet campground, with FULL hookups; we paid $32/night.   Adam (stockboys10) and family joined us = great fun!! :)

The campground has a pool, small playground and a nice cabana (with kitchen facilities).  It's owned by a family and is really well maintained.  If I had to guess, I would say that at least 1/3 of the current spots (I say current as they are expanding and adding 50 more sites this summer) are long-term tenants.  These tenants take great care of their sites.  We will DEFINITELY go back... we really enjoyed ourselves.   Location wise, it's about 20 minutes from Helen (small German town with cute little shops and tubing... yay!!).  Warning:  it's a steep winding drive down the mountain to Helen.  I'm guessing it doesn't bother most people, but it did bother me.  I do better when I'm driving... so Tom will need to take a "back seat" next time.  The town of Hiawassee itself (they have a really nice, large, lake) is only about 10 minutes away.

Nice, wide, street:

PART_1433760805662_20150606_200134_zps61

Cabana (with kitchen facilities):

PART_1433760836116_20150606_195924_zpsm0

View from the front out our campsite, out towards the entrance of the CG:

PART_1433760987992_20150606_080851_zpsvu

Our campsite on the right, stockboys10 on the left (love the morning fog :) ):

PART_1433760974817_20150606_080911_zpshb

Random sites:

PART_1433760826514_20150606_200028_zpshl

A few pull-through sites... VERY long (I think you could fit two Class A coaches in these!)  You can see their expansion in the background :

PART_1433760776711_20150606_200341_zpsnp

Playground:

PART_1433760752042_20150606_200417_zpsoh

Bathhouse sink (bathhouse has two toilet stalls and two showers).  I think there was only one set of showers on the property (there may have been one up by the pool, I forgot to check... I'm guessing toilet, yes, just not sure on showers).  I believe that most people use their RVs to shower.  Tom took a couple of showers in the bathhouse and he said that he only saw one person:

PART_1433760845759_20150606_195755_zpscd

Town of Helen:

PART_1433760905332_20150606_115307_zpsy5

See the restaurant (with flags) over the river?  That's where we had lunch and yes... we did tube down this river :) :

PART_1433760926027_20150606_114740_zpsck

View from our table (sorry... no food pictures!):

PART_1433760890064_20150606_125859_zpsag

Company we went tubing with, it was $5 per tube (Brandon rode with me, so it was only $5 for our tube) and that was for the "short" ride, which was about an hour:

PART_1433760864380_20150606_132422_zpsx0

Adam was nice and took his water-proof phone/camera with him... thanks Adam!!  This was SOOO MUCH fun!!

20150606_144856_zpsr2i6k2o4.jpg

20150606_144853_zps3cg5cpau.jpg

While our truck had a very tough time getting up the mountain (going back we chose a different/easier route and we now know about downshifting), all in all it was an AWESOME weekend!   So, come on Fiends, keep this one in mind!  As I said... GREAT location for a GG!   :)

Awesome!! Tubing on the Hiawassee is lots of fun!! Memorial Day would probably be too early in the season, cause even in July that water is COLD!!

I had to jump in the water a couple of times to maneuver our tubes around rocks (we hooked ourselves together) and the water was not too bad.  It was pretty shallow where I got out so, you didn't get the full effect :)  But... keep in mind, we're only 2 weeks past Memorial Day so... just sayin' :)

Yes... and please note, I found you one with FULL hook-ups :)

But we have to go through the mountains to get there ... ugh.!!  As a child I used to hide in the floorboard of our 1950 Olds Delta 88 until we got down off the mountain.  As an adult I don't do much better.

Thanks for inviting us along we had a great time. Would have been great to see balloons but weather didn't work out. The boys were ready to go back even before we had the trailer unpacked. 

The campground was really nice, we have already re booked for fathers day weekend. It really would be a great place for a gathering based on the conversation I overheard while we were booking our return in a few weeks the owners are happy to accommodate larger groups. 

The drive up was a bit steep and winding more suited to a convertible (Oh how we miss ours!) or a harley but the boys loved the "twisty ride" and were annoyed I kept slowing down. 

The visit to Helen was wonderful, reminded us of our younger years when we were first dating.... and of course our favorite Mountain car our 68 MGB....RIP old friend..... 

omextreme_adam_s.jpg

But we have to go through the mountains to get there ... ugh.!!  As a child I used to hide in the floorboard of our 1950 Olds Delta 88 until we got down off the mountain.  As an adult I don't do much better.

Ahhh.... I understand that.  We went back home a different route so that not only would it be easier on our transmission, but also easier on me! :)

Thanks for inviting us along we had a great time. Would have been great to see balloons but weather didn't work out. The boys were ready to go back even before we had the trailer unpacked. 

The campground was really nice, we have already re booked for fathers day weekend. It really would be a great place for a gathering based on the conversation I overheard while we were booking our return in a few weeks the owners are happy to accommodate larger groups. 

The drive up was a bit steep and winding more suited to a convertible (Oh how we miss ours!) or a harley but the boys loved the "twisty ride" and were annoyed I kept slowing down. 

The visit to Helen was wonderful, reminded us of our younger years when we were first dating.... and of course our favorite Mountain car our 68 MGB....RIP old friend..... 

omextreme_adam_s.jpg

Great car!! :)

Have fun over Father's Day!

Ahhh.... I understand that.  We went back home a different route so that not only would it be easier on our transmission, but also easier on me! :)

What was that route? From home we have to go I-40 over the mountains in Asheville.  I don't think I could handle that.

So.....who is taking the lead on making this a GG destination event? And when?

We'll be there Labor Day weekend... if you want to come over for a "mini"  GG... or as Mike (Mikeypro) would say, a "gg" :)

What was that route? From home we have to go I-40 over the mountains in Asheville.  I don't think I could handle that.

We live in SW Atlanta, so we took 515 through Elijay.  Much easier.   SR515 turns into 575 then I75.