Legoland and South Florida with DramaMama and Thrill Shakespeare

Well, I had planned to do a little trip report on our 2 day trip to Legoland on our way down to be with family in South Florida, but I have taken so many pictures that it may not be such a little report.  Oh well......

My MIL wanted to treat us to Legoland Florida this summer.  Our boys are 10 and 7 and are fiendish about Legos. The park is really set up for families with children aged 2 - 12 years of age.  Ever up for new fun experiences we were happy to accept the treat.  We headed down on to meet the in-laws on a Friday at a hotel about 20 minutes away from the park.  Our plan was to do Saturday and Sunday (two day tickets aren't that much more than one day and just $15 more gets you the waterpark) and then drive down to the in-laws house Sunday evening.  We enjoyed ourselves and have an overall good review of Legoland.  

I know many readers here have been to Legoland.  I would love your input!  There were things we loved, things we were a little surprised by, and things we felt they could have done better.  Let's face it:  Disney has spoiled us.  We tend to expect more in a theme park.  We spent a good deal of time quietly talking in ride queues about how "at Disney....." and then admitting that having more visitors and more money should allow a place like Disney to provide more training for their employees and implement more successful load areas.  So..... I can see both sides of it.  Feel free to chime in with your opinions, too!

On to the photos!  Warning - they include lots of pics of our boys.  After all, the trip was all about them.  I don't have any pics of the water park areas but I will discuss them later on.

IMG_2312_zps6rnebgfp.jpg

IMG_2262_zps3lzlo3ai.jpgWe immediately met up with a Chima character for a photo op.  The pic doesn't show it, but the costume needed some love.  And a washing machine...

IMG_2266_zpsyferkdbo.jpgThere are many seriously cool Lego creations like this all around the park.  Of course Thrill had to go and point out how the loaf of bread in his apron could be considered a bit, um, off color.  Thanks, dear...

Next up was a jousting ride.  Our oldest was a bit big for it, but he enjoyed the theming.  It was really cute.

IMG_2272_zpsdnrkvq1h.jpg

IMG_2270_zps2n7lqyye.jpg

There are several play areas where kids can climb and bounce and blow off steam.  The roller coasters are about the thrill level of Disney's MIne Train or Primeival Whirl.  There is an indoor ride with an Indiana Jones feel where you can "blast" red dots kind of like the Buzz Lightyear ride.  

Interesting observation here: 

MANY of the rides require you to put your bags, hats, glasses, etc. in cubbies to the side.  Even when I showed them I could loop my backpack through my leg and there was no way it could fly out they made me exit the ride and put it in a cubby.  This was ok on the rides where they only ran one train and no one else would be near the cubbies until we returned.  However, sometimes the cubbies were in the queue line with other guests.  Not that I don't trust my fellow man, but.....   A few times my in-laws waited with the bags while we rode.  

You may be thinking that this was an example of them being super safe.  Perhaps.  But we got to noticing that when they were supposed to be checking our seat belts or harnesses some employees just tapped the buckles or looked at them.  That doesn't cut it with MY kids, people!  

And while I am being safety picky:

IMG_2349_zpsqkkzndlr.jpg

While we were in line for the "boating school" we had a nice looooonnnggg time to watch their load/unload operation.  This particular ride allows guests to enter a small boat while on a conveyor belt and then have control of it once it goes off the belt.  The guests can steer and press the gas pedal to move through a fairly wide water course.  If you are lazy or a truly inept driver you can spend a long time out there.  We had about 4 of these boats out there while we were in line.  Some were just out there happily turning in circles while the rest of us waited in line.  No consequences.  Anyway, back to the loading process.  Once the boat comes back to the load house 2 "model citizens" (no cast members here) use ropes to bring the boat to the conveyor belt.  The guests in the boat are expected to exit and new guests enter before the boat goes off the conveyor belt.  It doesn't stop.  There are no handrails.  There are workers there but they do not assist.  I am mid 40s but am a little balance challenged at times.  My in-laws had sat this one out.  Thank goodness.

IMG_2302_zpsrnh9rimj.jpg

IMG_2300_zpsbmvytxol.jpg

As I was saying, strict with some things; loosey goosey with others.  

We went on the the "driving school" for 6 -13 year olds.  They get a video driving lesson and are then taken out to a mini driving course.  I would love to have access to this for bike riding or playing.  It would make a neat addition to a city playground.  The kids buckle up and drive the little cars all around while the parents stand behind a fence and encourage or hide their faces.  The only bad part of this experience was that the load and unload was longer than their time to actually drive.  The kids get blank drivers licenses or you can buy one with their pic on it for $17.  

IMG_2296_zpsecravyqo.jpg

I'll pause here for now.  Lego safari pics coming up.  

And fewer complaints.

I promise.

I live about 20 miles from LEGOLAND and have been several times with GKs. I think I enjoyed it as much as the GDs, especially like the miniature scenes and the gardens. Island in the sky is an enjoyable ride.

I live about 20 miles from LEGOLAND and have been several times with GKs. I think I enjoyed it as much as the GDs, especially like the miniature scenes and the gardens. Island in the sky is an enjoyable ride.

We all enjoyed it.  More on the gardens coming up later.  Island in the Sky provides beautiful views and is so relaxing!  We hoped to get in a second ride the second day but didn't have time.  If you live close you probably have annual passes.  They would be a great deal for locals!

I am in!

My kids are older, but I would love to go to Legoland at least once. Maybe when my brother gets back to the states I can convince him to take his little ones and I'll help out with childcare.

Welcome aboard!  I am sure you would enjoy it with your brother's family.  The neat thing about this trip was that it was for the kids.  I had no agenda for what rides I wanted to do.  Unlike our Disney trips.....    :P  

We had APs the first year they were open. We went quite a few times.. My granddaughter won 1 of the Halloween contests, got a nice prize pack and 4 one day tickets that we used after our passes expired. It is geared for a younger set, some of those rides are tight to fit into. You are right about the wait and load times. The jousting one is especially long for the length of riding time.

They just came out with a couple of new passes which are great deals.

Overall it's a fun park and they have a lot of fun specials each holiday.

We went once back in 2011.  I can't remember when the park opened... but I think it was fairly new at that point.  Our daughter was 5 at the time and she had a lot of fun however, as I commented on a different post, we thought it was "funny" that the part she seemed to like the most (and a lot of other kids, judging by how busy it was) was the playground area.  Could have taken her to a local park for free, haha :)    Even so, we had fun the one day we were there.... of course, nothing compares to Disney ;)

Time to add a few more pics before we head to church this morning.  

The safari ride is a slow meander through lego animals.  For small kids, they will love pretending they are driving the jeep.  Older kids - not so much:

IMG_2293_zpszxbsyyfn.jpg

What I liked about it were the Lego re-creations of the animals.  I was amazed at the detail.  

IMG_2292_zpsowuspemo.jpg

IMG_2290_zpsxukbsul7.jpg

IMG_2287_zpsj5zr2ojo.jpg

IMG_2285_zpswe5kofri.jpg

IMG_2283_zpstqusevtg.jpg

Also the first day we ate lunch at the Market Restaurant which had a few different and healthier options.  It was pretty good.  There is also a fried chicken restaurant and a burger place that smelled really good from the outside.  Larger group = restaurant with options.  I was hungry.  Food was a good thing.   ;)

We had researched and heard that the Apple Fries were the signature dessert at the park.  Yes, I can vouch for them - amazing!!!

The skies were threatening storms so we went to one of the 4D short movies at the theater - a Clutch Powers adventure.  (For those not familiar with Clutch Powers, he is a Lego version of an Indiana Jones type character that has land and space adventures with other Lego characters on his team. "Team" is a loose term as they are each always trying to be first and eventually realize they have to work together.)  

There was thunder and lightening for a few hours which shut down rides and the ski shows so we shopped and decided to call it a day.  Just as we were leaving they opened Island in the Sky.  It is a larger circular enclosed disc with bench seating that rises high above the park and rotates slowly giving you a spectacular view of the park and surrounding areas.  Nicely done.

We headed out of the park, ate at a Sonny's for dinner and collapsed at the hotel.  Our youngest was asleep in about 10 minutes - a true record!

The Sky ride was pretty cool..... BUT, they required you to remain seated, and there was small netting/cage obstructing your view, so you couldn't even stand up to put a camera lens against the netting to get good pictures of that spectacular view :(

I was actually able to get decent pictures on Island in the Sky by leaning forward and positioning my lens through the net.  DramaMama was worried that I would drop my phone down to the ground, but the phone was actually still inside the ride.

Here are a few...

randompix~~element70.JPG

The water skiing stadium in the distance.

randompix~~element71.JPG

The Legoland Hotel.  Cool rooms, waaaaaaaay too expensive.  I'd sooner stay at Disney.

randompix~~element72.JPG

A view of one area of the park.

randompix~~element73.JPG

The new Lego Friends themed area that is set to open later this month.  It looks like they have a LOT of work left to do.

On with the report:

I took this photo of my FIL.  He was such a good sport.  He decided it was more fun to sit by a Lego man that made snoring sounds than stand around while his grandkids (and kids - let's be honest) created mini-figures in a store.

IMG_2310_zpsz50prhxm.jpg

The second day was very full.  We rode some rides we didn't get to the day before.

This is Technic.  I think.

IMG_2337_zpsomw13en9.jpg

Then there were the air boats in a circle:

IMG_2341_zps4dtq1bcg.jpgWhile the guys were riding I snapped this photo.  Sometimes you just have to take a pic if you already have a caption in mind.  

It just calls for "Sucks to Be You".  These divers are having a bad day.

IMG_2344_zpsjklmn2k5.jpg

There were a few other rides that day as well, but no photos of them.  We headed over to the Imagination area.  One of the sections lets kids use a car base and build their own vehicles to race.  We were here a good while - lots of fun for our guys.

IMG_2351_zpsp8ljzopa.jpg

IMG_2350_zpsndwsppwy.jpg

IMG_2347_zpsg3ytk0i1.jpg

IMG_2354_zpsh2or83hg.jpg

We took some time to wander around the Lego towns.  The detail in the areas are impressive.  You may not be able to tell from the pics, but there are various cities represented like New York, DC, Las Vegas, and Miami Beach, as well as sections about race cars, pirates, and Star Wars.  

The Star Wars ones are obviously the newest ones.  They look shiny and new and are displayed more creatively.  Sadly, many of the older models are dirty and need some love (figures fallen down, boats on their sides in the water, algae growing on the ones with water).  It is an outdoor display and will show age quickly, but I hope they can find a way to clean them.  It is such a neat area!

IMG_2315_zpsyhgrvj7c.jpg

IMG_2316_zpsl6grj40r.jpg

IMG_2317_zpsnj0a44ia.jpg

IMG_2318_zpsao4hhaee.jpg

IMG_2321_zps1ndcprfo.jpg

IMG_2322_zpsao5tjtfp.jpg

IMG_2323_zpsgmbqwluo.jpg

IMG_2327_zpsdvotolt8.jpg

IMG_2333_zpsje2rs4iz.jpg

I am probably close to the photo limit so I will continue later!

That's the one thing we noticed about the park on the last visits. Faded blocks, broken displays. I think they underestimated the ferocity of the Florida sun.

They have added quit a bit since they opened. The Chimera land was new and so was the farm building and water park.

The hotel is a major addition and looks impressive.

I'm in!

We've been on the fence about venturing over to legoland (we fly down so it would be a hassle really). But for what it would end up costing, it's probably not worth it.

Your son's face on the safari ride is hilarious and so is your FIL sitting with the old Lego man.

Great job so far.  The photos are great, and the commentary is even better- there's some funny stuff there!

Thanks for writing this report. I've never been to LEGOLAND, and I don't anticipate any reason that I would visit there in the immediate future.  It looks like a great place for families with young children.

I'm looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip.

TCD

If you lived in the area, this would be the way to go

The Merlin AWESOMERPASS.

$149 YEAR INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING

LEGOLAND

LEGOLAND Water Park

Orlando Eye

Madame Tussands Orlando

Sea Life Orlando

LEGOLAND Discovery Center Atlanta

Collectors Edition Welcome Kit

Free Parking

10% off retail, dining LEGOLAND Hotel Stay

Bonus Brick Time (early entrance starting May 16 )

Newsletter

$15 off guest tickets to LEGOLAND (up to 6)

I will jump back in tomorrow evening. We did the 10 hour drive home today from South Florida. I am tired but glad to be home. More pics coming!

Glad to hear you made it home safely!

If you lived in the area, this would be the way to go

The Merlin AWESOMERPASS.

$149 YEAR INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING

LEGOLAND

LEGOLAND Water Park

Orlando Eye

Madame Tussands Orlando

Sea Life Orlando

LEGOLAND Discovery Center Atlanta

Collectors Edition Welcome Kit

Free Parking

10% off retail, dining LEGOLAND Hotel Stay

Bonus Brick Time (early entrance starting May 16 )

Newsletter

$15 off guest tickets to LEGOLAND (up to 6)

We would probably do that.  With kiddos 3 and 8... it would be a good fit for us.

Glad to hear you made it home safely!

We would probably do that.  With kiddos 3 and 8... it would be a good fit for us.

Considering a day pass is about $90 (of course there are always deals) and the regular AP is $99 without parking, this is definitely the way to go, plus you get the new International Drive attractions.

There are almost always discounts for LEGOLAND. I think MickyDs has buy 1 adult and 1 kid gets in free offers right now.

Yup, usually during the year, Coke, Pepsi, Wendys, and Lego itself run specials.

We are taking a 2 week road trip up to NY in July, and if we return with any extra funds, we might get these passes.

It's a more relaxing type of park, not all of the crazy running around trying to see everything in a day atmosphere.

BUT, they do need to figure out how to get the line queues to move faster.

Considering a day pass is about $90 (of course there are always deals) and the regular AP is $99 without parking, this is definitely the way to go, plus you get the new International Drive attractions.

Now we just need to figure out a way to move to the Tampa area! :)