Just my observation when I was researching our purchase of a 2009 6.4 & following the various diesel forums, the 2008 6.4s were horrible on radiators when they first came out.  David

PS, we need someone to change my tag.  Santa brought the cable reel.  I now need a new diesel RAM 3500 dually Laramie Long Horn fully loaded. :)

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes... we're having a lot of fun :)

I think it's a great color, just not for a truck :D Go Vols!

To me, a buyback is the same thing as a lemon. Will they disclose the reason for the buyback? Also, if it is a buyback, it probably will decrease its resell value. Just a thought. For GMC, I have not

Drove a 2013 F250 that was a "buy back" (Ford bought it back from the first customer, so they could fix some things); it has just under 18k miles and Ford is offering a warranty. ..would a buy back make you nervous?

We also found a 2009 GMC 2500 with 85k miles.

Price difference of $11k between the two.

Thoughts??

To me, a buyback is the same thing as a lemon. Will they disclose the reason for the buyback? Also, if it is a buyback, it probably will decrease its resell value. Just a thought.

For GMC, I have not seen a lot of GM tow vehicles being used. Maybe that is just me but my brother in law commented on it when he bought his ram 1500. He replaced his Silverado with concerns about longevity with towing. The funny thing is that he is a die hard GM guy and switched to ram for towing reasons. He never explained all of them to me but he just says that the ram tows better than the silverado.

If it were me personally, I would stick with ram or ford. I am a mopar guy but will give ford credit for their larger trucks (don't get me started on my ranger experiences).

If it has warranty on it and you can buy the extended warranty on it and get them to tell you what the issue with it was. Then yes I would buy it. If you have the Vin# you can go to any Ford dealer and get a oasis report on it and that we'll tell you everything ford has ever done to it.

Drove a 2013 F250 that was a "buy back" (Ford bought it back from the first customer, so they could fix some things); it has just under 18k miles and Ford is offering a warranty. ..would a buy back make you nervous?

We also found a 2009 GMC 2500 with 85k miles.

Price difference of $11k between the two.

Thoughts??

I would be a bit leery of a buy back, but if they could tell what it was for and show the work that was done it might ease my mind some.

Question on the 2 trucks - is there a difference in trim level or "bells and whistles" between the 2? That might help with a decision of one does have something you want and the other does not have it.

I would be a bit leery of a buy back, but if they could tell what it was for and show the work that was done it might ease my mind some.

Question on the 2 trucks - is there a difference in trim level or "bells and whistles" between the 2? That might help with a decision of one does have something you want and the other does not have it.

We're still waiting to hear why Ford bought it back.

Here are the two listings:

http://www.mandmautosuperstore.com/view/JH2047/Tan-2009-GMC-Sierra%202500-in-Lithia%20Springs-GA

http://www.covingtonford.net/used-inventory/details/?lang=en&vehicle_type=Truck&sort_by=price_asc&view=list&vin=1FT7W2BT8DEA39329&index=17&count=24&offset=16&limit=1

If you are going to look at the GM twins, look at the 2011 and up due to the ungraded/updated frames and suspension.  Here at the auction building, my truck squats less then the 2009 F-250, 2007 E-350, & 2015 F-250 King Ranch Diesel.  For heavy tounge weight loads, they pick my truck to tow the trailers as I have the most payload of them all.  For loads with all the weight on the axles they'll used the use the King Ranch which has lots of less payload then me.

If you are going to look at the GM twins, look at the 2011 and up due to the ungraded/updated frames and suspension.  Here at the auction building, my truck squats less then the 2009 F-250, 2007 E-350, & 2015 F-250 King Ranch Diesel.  For heavy tounge weight loads, they pick my truck to tow the trailers as I have the most payload of them all.  For loads with all the weight on the axles they'll used the use the King Ranch which has lots of less payload then me.

Honestly... I don't want to look at any of them, I'm over it.   Yes... I have a bad attitude today, sorry  :unsure:     It's just a lot to take it in; going into this, we had hoped to find a diesel truck for $30k... now we're finding that this just isn't going to happen and we'll probably end up spending closer to $38k which is really tough to swallow.  If that wasn't enough, it seems like all of it is a big risk. We think, do we go older/cheaper and take our chances and/or try and modify?  Or, do we spend more...but what if that more, still ends up breaking down (a lot) or the gas mileage isn't what we thought it would be??!  This is one car purchase, that is just really frustrating.   Looking at the campgrounds, I see more Fords and Rams (a few GMCs), which leads me to believe that we should really stick with those two brands.

Ahh... I feel better ranting (thank you :) )  I just want us to make the right choice.

Not to put more on your plate, but this is the time to decide if you think you want to ever go to a fifth wheel.  If you do, forget about the 250/2500 if you want a diesel.  Head straight for the 350/3500.  I wish I would have went with the 2500.  I will be adding the 3500 rear springs to my truck and going to the 18" wheels and tires that the 3500 come equipped with.  I see so many of the 3/4 ton diesels going down the road with fifth wheels hooked up and their headlights up in the air.  Mostly Fords look like this from what I've seen.  I don't know if it's because of mushy suspension and low payloads or the fact that the drivers think just because they have a diesel they can hook up a 15k pound 5th wheel - or both.  We use Chevy and Ford and sometimes John Deere for towing here at the Auction service.  Once upon a time we had a 2009 2500 Dodge but after 2 tranny rebuilds it got auctioned off.  Here in Gettysburg the state police have been pulling over trucks and campers that look like this. 

Honestly... I don't want to look at any of them, I'm over it.   Yes... I have a bad attitude today, sorry  :unsure:     It's just a lot to take it in; going into this, we had hoped to find a diesel truck for $30k... now we're finding that this just isn't going to happen and we'll probably end up spending closer to $38k which is really tough to swallow.  If that wasn't enough, it seems like all of it is a big risk. We think, do we go older/cheaper and take our chances and/or try and modify?  Or, do we spend more...but what if that more, still ends up breaking down (a lot) or the gas mileage isn't what we thought it would be??!  This is one car purchase, that is just really frustrating.   Looking at the campgrounds, I see more Fords and Rams (a few GMCs), which leads me to believe that we should really stick with those two brands.

Ahh... I feel better ranting (thank you :) )  I just want us to make the right choice.

It gets frustrating looking for vehicles. I have always bought new. My take is since I keep a vehicle 10 years or longer I rather go into it knowing everything that will/has happened to it with the expectation I will have some repairs that I can plan for as it gets older. Given this I still think you are better off getting something as new as you can afford unless you can find one of those elusive barn queens. I also have to say buying vehicles so infrequently I always end up spending more than I want and have just come to expect sticker shock. 

As far as brands I stay away from GM products anymore. After having owned some of their 70's and 90's products I have a bad taste in my mouth. I also have an ex-inlaw who was a GMC dealer until the GM bankruptcy who told me he thought Ford had the better overall truck (this was before losing the dealership). I'm sure there are other folks out there who have had different experiences with GM so take what you will from my opinion when added with $5 will by you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I really don't think so.  Our kiddos are still little, so we don't really need that much space.  The only time I could see us changing, would be 7 or 8 years down the road when our kids are much bigger and (with as much as my husband drives for work) we would probably need a new truck at that point anyway.

It gets frustrating looking for vehicles. I have always bought new. My take is since I keep a vehicle 10 years or longer I rather go into it knowing everything that will/has happened to it with the expectation I will have some repairs that I can plan for as it gets older. Given this I still think you are better off getting something as new as you can afford unless you can find one of those elusive barn queens. I also have to say buying vehicles so infrequently I always end up spending more than I want and have just come to expect sticker shock. 

As far as brands I stay away from GM products anymore. After having owned some of their 70's and 90's products I have a bad taste in my mouth. I also have an ex-inlaw who was a GMC dealer until the GM bankruptcy who told me he thought Ford had the better overall truck (this was before losing the dealership). I'm sure there are other folks out there who have had different experiences with GM so take what you will from my opinion when added with $5 will by you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

See... I feel better with Ford.  Maybe it's because that's what my dad had, but just sitting in them.... I feel more secure.  They feel like a more capable (towing) vehicle.   Of course, that's probably silly for me to say as I've only test drove a few... not towed, but we have stopped and talked with several Ford owners at CGs and they have ALL been happy with their truck.

I hope you can find something out there that will suit you, and fit into your budget, and I hate to say it, but I think Keith hit the nail on the head.

You are getting frustrated, and you've already upped your looking price a couple of times.

I think in the long run, if you can swing it without going bankrupt, you will be better off buying new.

I bought my 2002 Ram new.  It was a simple 2 door 6 cylinder, and I just got rid of it 2 months ago.  I knew what was done to it, what went wrong, how it felt and sounded while driving.

I bought a used 2006 Ram 4 door from a friend.  I am the 3rd owner, and I knew the original owner also, and they both took care of the vehicle.

But, I've already repaired the A/C, replaced the sway bar links, and am trying to get used to the way it rides and it's noises.

Does the engine sound right, what's that clicking sound at startup, what's that whining sound slowing down etc. It's enough to drive you crazy.

I was talking to a guy at a site I visited Friday and he was going to get his truck out of the shop ($2K) and it was a diesel that had been bulletproofed with the "Blue" springs, etc.

He said he's spent a ton of $$ keeping it running.

I think you would be better off purchasing new, and trying to keep it for 10 or 15 years.  At least you know it's history.

Hang in there. You are going through the same thing I just did. I ended up with a new truck for the reasons you are pointing out. I got lucky on my trade in and my employer discount really knocked a lot off of the new truck.

It's frustrating but you will get through it.