Tim, payload isn't just what is "put back there". Payload includes all of your passengers and any contents you will load in or on the trucks including a dog if you go that route too :). Tongue weight of your TT also is factored into payload.

As for the eco boost you will gain almost nothing from it over your armada. A 2500/250 of any mark will tow and handle much better then any 1500/150. Bigger/sturdier frames and brakes on the bigger trucks will make your towing experience much better. You know how sometimes tractor trailers blow by you on the highway and it kind of pushes you around as he does? Don't have that problem anymore with the 3/4 ton. It also stops a hell of a lot easier. Also being a heavier truck i had an easier time in the snow this past year. We had more snow then previous years but i only had to put the truck in 4wd once. And that was to get out of a parking space at the hospital i was plowed in around as I was there for 18 hours. I didn't need it driving around as long as I took my time. Couldn't say that with my previous trucks. I live at the foothills of the Appalachian mountains. My truck can maintain its speed (it might have to downshift) with my 5er around the mountain passes here. Like i stated earlier, according to my ex-bil, my 6.0 gasser out pulls his 6.0 diesel in his excursion. But there is no doubt a reliable diesel will run circles around me.

Sent from my iPhone

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes... we're having a lot of fun :)

I think it's a great color, just not for a truck :D Go Vols!

To me, a buyback is the same thing as a lemon. Will they disclose the reason for the buyback? Also, if it is a buyback, it probably will decrease its resell value. Just a thought. For GMC, I have not

Thanks for the input. As I have read several people have said they had gas 3/4 tons and saw 3/4 diesels go past them like it was nothing up a hill. My question then becomes how noticeably different is going up a hill in a gas? Most of our towing will be flat land and probably periodic up hills or in the mountains but we don't know if next year or the year after we may do more up in the mountains. I don't want to spend money and then say geez I should have gotten the gas or geez I should have gotten the diesel. I know some people will say get the diesel but finding one is a major pain. 

One more thing with the F250 or 2500 gasser I hear the diesel does better on mpg. 

Generally that is true. It depends also on how and where you drive. I get 10-11 mpg towing my 29' 5er at 8-9k lbs. that picture i posted hooked up to that car trailer. That is an 18' box and weighs almost 3k lbs empty. I only get 8mpg towing that. Why? My guess is the aerodynamics. As you see it is nothing but a nice big tall rectangle. In town driving which is a lot of my driving, i get 13. On the highway i get 17-18. My boss says he got 11-12 towing that same trailer and he says he got 14-15 towing an open car trailer with a car on it. He has the king ranch F250 i talked about a few posts ago. When we last talked about mpg averages his computer was showing 13 point something as his average. He does not tow anywhere as much as i do though. He has maybe 500 miles combined towing.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks for the input. As I have read several people have said they had gas 3/4 tons and saw 3/4 diesels go past them like it was nothing up a hill. My question then becomes how noticeably different is going up a hill in a gas? Most of our towing will be flat land and probably periodic up hills or in the mountains but we don't know if next year or the year after we may do more up in the mountains. I don't want to spend money and then say geez I should have gotten the gas or geez I should have gotten the diesel. I know some people will say get the diesel but finding one is a major pain. 

Yes I have had diesels fly by me going up the hills. I was already doing 60. The speed rating of All trailer tires are 65mph max. I learned my lesson twice about going over 65 with trailer tires. Will my gasser do 60 in the Rockies or Sierra Nevadas? Nope but I don't need it to as I don't plan on doing that.

As for the mpg going up the hill.......well that is ugly. Going over south mountain i get 5-6. Going up the mountains on interstate 81 in coal country i got 3-4 but I maintained my speed.

Sent from my iPhone

If you want up hill pulling power get the 2011 ford diesel or the 2013 ram diesel. On our last trip I set the cruise at 75 (which is the speed limit in Texas) and it pulled the trailer up hill like it wasn't there. Now my 6.0 diesel most gas trucks could out pull it. Body panel replacement on the Ram wouldn't bother me if it looks good and doesn't rattle.

If you want up hill pulling power get the 2011 ford diesel or the 2013 ram diesel. On our last trip I set the cruise at 75 (which is the speed limit in Texas) and it pulled the trailer up hill like it wasn't there. Now my 6.0 diesel most gas trucks could out pull it. Body panel replacement on the Ram wouldn't bother me if it looks good and doesn't rattle.

Thanks Lone Star. I am not afraid of an accident. I have been around the car industry for a long time so as long as no frame damage and the work was done right I am ok with that. The price on the Ram was excellent but I have to drive and see in person. Outside of that difficult to find anything to look at. 

Ditto on the body work if it was done right. I wish I could afford to buy a dually diesel crew cab Ram or GM (not the ford as it has the smallest back seat area) and keep that just for towing. I don't want one for a daily driver. This truck now is too large sometimes for daily driving. As for new gassers the GM twins have the lowest stats (hp/torque) on paper but reports say they get better mileage even paired with a 4.10 rear as mine is.

I know I have decided to buy a 6.0 gas engine and computer from a salvage yard to build up and drop in my Monte Carlo SS. I have also heard that the newer Ford diesels get the worst mileage out of the 3 but seem to feel like they have the most power but I never looked into it to verify. But now that I think about it if you look at my mpg numbers with my gasser 4.10 rear then you look at my boss's king ranch diesel numbers with his 3.73 (I think) rear that is really not that great. If my truck had those same gears, my mpg would improve and our two trucks would almost have the same non towing mpg. In fact the gasser might do better with 3.73s. I do own a Ford though......a 1947

dc816c4fee8613b1aa1334aa6b271d39.jpg

I had to make it reliable and drivable so its sitting on a 79 Z28 sub frame and chevy 350 hp 350 engine w/chevy 3.08 rear for cruising mileage and rear suspension from late 90s dodge caravan.

Sent from my iPhone

I wouldn't get hung up on the mileage difference between diesel and gas. While I can't speak to trucks I have run numbers for small cars between gas, hybrid and diesels. To make up the difference in cost and maintenance I found I would break even between 10 and 15 years if I went with a hybrid or diesel. This was based on the better in fuel mileage savings, service cost above the base price for a gas engine and difference in selling price. The result is the break even point is about how long I keep a vehicle anyway so was no real savings If I drove the car all of the time like I did when I was a field engineer 40 years ago the break even point was closer to five to seven years but then again the car was worn out by then too. I suspect the results would be similar for a truck.

As I said in another post I would make the decision on whether to go with a diesel or gas engine based on what it does to meet your towing requirements and not worry about the mileage difference. If I were to do a lot of driving into mountains like the Sierras or Rockies I would definitely look at the diesel for its better torque and towing ability. Going up into the Appalachians and driving all over the Piedmont like I do around here I'm not so sure I would really need a diesel. I'm not one to worry about flying over the mountains at 70 mph which is hard to accomplish even in a car with the amount of semi's sharing the road. If I can keep to the posted speed limits without stressing the engine I'm fine.

Well, all this truck talk has me seeing stars. And it mayyyyy have had an effect on my wife, or maybe it was breaking down twice on the last trip. Therefore, I present the new to us 2008 f250 v10 with 4.30 gears. The dodge cummins was fun and all, but it's really neat to be able to talk to each other while driving- and I forgot that radios weren't just for showing the time. 114k on the clock, was a work truck of sorts, but the price was right and I don't mind a little tlc. I search the entire country for a good looking v10 with the 4.30 gears and I could only find one, and it happened to be about 40 minutes from home. She is pretty. And the trucks not bad either.

20150711_130047_zps06cc8165.jpg

Well, all this truck talk has me seeing stars. And it mayyyyy have had an effect on my wife, or maybe it was breaking down twice on the last trip. Therefore, I present the new to us 2008 f250 v10 with 4.30 gears. The dodge cummins was fun and all, but it's really neat to be able to talk to each other while driving- and I forgot that radios weren't just for showing the time. 114k on the clock, was a work truck of sorts, but the price was right and I don't mind a little tlc. I search the entire country for a good looking v10 with the 4.30 gears and I could only find one, and it happened to be about 40 minutes from home. She is pretty. And the trucks not bad either.20150711_130047_zps06cc8165.jpg

Nice truck a v10 f250 is a rare find my work truck is a 08 f350 drw v10 4:30. I have 130,000 miles on it and it still runs good. As for a loud dodge I remember our 01 dodge diesel it was a fun truck but it was loud.

Well, all this truck talk has me seeing stars. And it mayyyyy have had an effect on my wife, or maybe it was breaking down twice on the last trip. Therefore, I present the new to us 2008 f250 v10 with 4.30 gears. The dodge cummins was fun and all, but it's really neat to be able to talk to each other while driving- and I forgot that radios weren't just for showing the time. 114k on the clock, was a work truck of sorts, but the price was right and I don't mind a little tlc. I search the entire country for a good looking v10 with the 4.30 gears and I could only find one, and it happened to be about 40 minutes from home. She is pretty. And the trucks not bad either.

20150711_130047_zps06cc8165.jpg

Nice truck.

I hear you on all the truck talk gets you thinking. I've fortunately been able to stop and decided to lube the slip yoke and replace the u-joints on the Explorer and wait until next year or the following to replace it.