So... this 2013 Dodge Ram that Tom has been talking to this owner/dealer (not a "dealership" just a guy who flips them really) about, well they've been talking for 3 or 4 weeks now and the entire time the price was set; today he tells us it's going to be $6k more.  He says he had to do more work on it than expected, but my guess is he's received several calls expressing interest and decided to push the price up...

Irritating and incredibly frustrating....

I would offer him the original price and if he won't take it move on. 6 grand is a big jump.

I would offer him the original price and if he won't take it move on. 6 grand is a big jump.

Agreed

Same here. If he doesn't agree to the original price, move on. Remember, it has had a lot of work done to it to put it back together.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes... we're having a lot of fun :)

I think it's a great color, just not for a truck :D Go Vols!

To me, a buyback is the same thing as a lemon. Will they disclose the reason for the buyback? Also, if it is a buyback, it probably will decrease its resell value. Just a thought. For GMC, I have not

It's hard to do, as Tom really likes the interior of this truck, but I think we may move on.  I don't believe the seller will come down to his original price.... so the search continues.

Is it the Longhorn edition?

Let's discuss again....  2x4 vs 4x4.  There is a part of me that really wants a 4x4 because I feel like there is a small chance that some point we might need it... but Tom points out that we are not towing a boat (so, no boat ramp issues) and most of the campgrounds we go to (I would say 95%) are either paved or rocks.  Only a couple of them have grass spots, but still rock or paved roads around the CG.  

What about the mountains?  Don't think we'd travel in the snow... but, what if we did??

Cost saving of around $2k if we purchase a 2x4 over a 4x4.

Let's discuss again....  2x4 vs 4x4.  There is a part of me that really wants a 4x4 because I feel like there is a small chance that some point we might need it... but Tom points out that we are not towing a boat (so, no boat ramp issues) and most of the campgrounds we go to (I would say 95%) are either paved or rocks.  Only a couple of them have grass spots, but still rock or paved roads around the CG.  

What about the mountains?  Don't think we'd travel in the snow... but, what if we did??

Cost saving of around $2k if we purchase a 2x4 over a 4x4.

Probably not a big deal when you are towing, but the extra weight will cut down on you MPG slightly if you are utilizing the truck for everyday use.

Plus that's just more stuff that can break.

Unless you are going to utilize 4X4 on a regular basis I wouldn't go for the extra cost, unless it's already on your dream truck.

I lived in NY and had a Jeep CJ-5.  I could probably count on 2 hands the time I used 4WD in the 4 years I owned it.  Probably count on 1 hand the times I really needed to use it and just wasn't playing around.

And not to cause trouble and be nosey (well maybe nosey) but who will be the main driver of this truck?  Will your husband be driving this daily, while you just go in it when you head out camping?

What draws you to the F 250 so much? 

Is it the looks, or the mechanics of it?  

Does it fit you and your family better? 

What makes your husband lean towards the Dodges?

Does it "feel" better to him?  Does he like the mechanical build of it better than the Fords and Dodges?

I hope you can agree on something soon.

Unless you are willing to buy new, I doubt you will find a used "dream" vehicle with all the features you want on it.

Tom will use it as his daily vehicle; he drives around 18k - 20k  miles per year.  I will use it, every once in while, when driving the Armada is easier on him for work (if he's out on appt, the smaller truck might be easier), plus the family (of course) will use it for camping. 

As for Ford vs Dodge, I think the Ford is a smoother drive.  Plus, grew up with my father having Fords... so I guess there is a comfort level there.  I also prefer the look of it, but (honestly) Tom could choose the Dodge and I would be okay with that... just frustrated with the one Dodge as I think it should have been handled differently.    

Yep... no dream vehicle out there, just hoping to get somewhat close ;)

I'll give you my .02 on the 4x4 vs 4x2. Short and sweet....if the 4x2 doesn't have a limited slip differential, you will really wish you had that 4x4. The 4x4 in my 1500 bailed my rear out a few times when it kept slipping one rear wheel backing into spots on a slight uphill slope. My 1500 didn't have limited slip in the rear and the 4x4 was the only thing getting me up into the spot.

I use the 4x4 almost every time we are out. Mainly to get my camper back into my drive which also has that same minor slope with gravel.

If you go 4x2, make sure it is limited slip in the rear otherwise you may be unhappy with it quickly in some situations. Not to mention that limited slip will help rear tires wear evenly vs one wearing faster than the other.

Unless you actively 4 wheel, plan to tow on a lot of unimproved roads or tow a boat I see no reason to buy a 4X4. If I lived up north I would consider it for winter driving but here in the south where everything stops when it snows I see no advantage. In fact my experience down here has been 4X4's give people a false sense of confidence and the ability to go a lot faster than conditions allow. The sad part is they don't realize this until they have to stop where the type of drive you have doesn't really matter. I haven't owned a 4X4 since living out west where we would drive on mountain fire roads in the national forest to camp. We would also go up into the mountains during the winter and having four wheel drive meant I didn't have to deal with tire chain restrictions. Since moving here I have stuck with 4X2 and haven't found a need for a 4X4.

Also, don't let your one experience with the one ram sour your experience on the brand. In your case it is the seller screwing you.

On a side note, I have that same interior but it is all black in mine. Dealer tried to talk me out of the laramie and I told him that I wouldn't buy without the leather interior in the laramie. I think the sales guy was not happy he got no commission on my sale. My work discount brought the truck 1% under invoice plus my trade in. They are getting less than $1k after they sell both trucks. Most of that had to be put into the certifying of the old one so they didn't make squat.

I've had to use 4x4 all the time on my previous trucks.  Especially in the rain while pulling out from a stop sign on an incline.  This 2500 with the locking differential I don't need to anymore.  Also, I believe the added over-all weight of the truck  has helped.  I've had this 2500 now for 54 weeks.  I've had to used the 4x4 function 4 times.  Once was in South Carolina back in March as I was pulling into a pitch black campground after 10 pm and I cut the corner too short as I was pulling into our pull through site.  I sunk the road side tires of the 5er hub deep in mud.  I probably could've stayed in 2wd to get it out but I didn't want to tear up anything with my rear wheels and it was easy as pie to just turn the knob to 4wd and it walked the camper out of the mud.

I've had to use 4x4 all the time on my previous trucks.  Especially in the rain while pulling out from a stop sign on an incline.  This 2500 with the locking differential I don't need to anymore.  Also, I believe the added over-all weight of the truck  has helped.  I've had this 2500 now for 54 weeks.  I've had to used the 4x4 function 4 times.  Once was in South Carolina back in March as I was pulling into a pitch black campground after 10 pm and I cut the corner too short as I was pulling into our pull through site.  I sunk the road side tires of the 5er hub deep in mud.  I probably could've stayed in 2wd to get it out but I didn't want to tear up anything with my rear wheels and it was easy as pie to just turn the knob to 4wd and it walked the camper out of the mud.

Yep it's one thing you don't need all the time but when you need it you really need it.

Yep it's one thing you don't need all the time but when you need it you really need it.

This point can't be overlooked. I've needed it half dozen times in 4 years. Not sure what I would have done without it. Calling a tow truck or a buddy has has a cost, and so does the value of my precious little vacation time being wasted. I haven't used my rv insurance, but won't hit the road without it. GO FORD

I couldn't agree more. 

We were at a festival of some sort a while back and parked in grass, headed downhill just a bit. When it came time to leave I put the truck in reverse (old truck that wasn't a dually) and the tires just spun, I wasn't moving an inch. This wasn't a large incline with wet grass, just a slight downhill and without 4WD I would have been at the mercy of someone helping me to back out.

Lifted vs leveled... is there a difference?  My first thought is, "no".  But when I asked the dealer if the car had been lifted he said, " No...it's been leveled".  

Here is the truck:

http://www.jimellisbuickgmcmog.com/used/Ford/2011-Ford-F-250SD-04732e050a0e0ae706656535e218826b.htm

We've got them to a price of $33,900 before taxes and fees (so around $36,500 out the door).  We will put on different tires at a cost of about $1000.

Okay.... we've got the black one listed below and two others.  Here are the stats:

1)  2011 F250 with 112k miles price about $37.500 (includes us buying news tires).  Tom's color preference:  Black on Black.   No warranty.

2)  2011 F250 with 62k miles price $43,000.  Exterior is white, not Tom's favorite   This one is certified, so there is some warranty left on it.

3)  2013 F250 with 72k miles price $45,000.  Black on Black with navigation (the other two above did not have this option).  Because of the year, some warranty left on it.

4)  2012 F250 with 31k miles price $48,000.  Grey on Black with navigation and a sunroof.   Here was the text on the ad: ruck comes with ford extended factory warranty 7 years 125k. And 45k mile ford maibtanxe contract. Truck has been serviced at for every 5k miles on the nose. Truck was bought in November of 12, so warranty good till 11-19.

Thoughts on these four??   Keep in mind, budget is an issue.

A leveling kit is basically a 2" to 3" lift kit installed on the front of the truck only to make them set level. F250 sits level so they may have added a 2" block to the rear of the truck so it won't sit higher in the front. Mechanically a leveling kit won't hurt you I have had 2 f350s done this way. Down side to a leveling kit when towing is when you hook up to your trailer the back of the truck now looks really low because the front of the truck is higher. Are the tires on the truck bad? If you put the factory size tire back on the truck it will look silly now that it has been leveled .

As far as which truck I would go drive them and see what fits your budget best. Less miles and warranty is always better. But savings $10,000 between the first truck and the last one could pay for some repairs. Warranty only last so long but the truck note will be there for years.

Okay.... we've got the black one listed below and two others.  Here are the stats:

1)  2011 F250 with 112k miles price about $37.500 (includes us buying news tires).  Tom's color preference:  Black on Black.   No warranty.

2)  2011 F250 with 62k miles price $43,000.  Exterior is white, not Tom's favorite   This one is certified, so there is some warranty left on it.

3)  2013 F250 with 72k miles price $45,000.  Black on Black with navigation (the other two above did not have this option).  Because of the year, some warranty left on it.

4)  2012 F250 with 31k miles price $48,000.  Grey on Black with navigation and a sunroof.   Here was the text on the ad: ruck comes with ford extended factory warranty 7 years 125k. And 45k mile ford maibtanxe contract. Truck has been serviced at for every 5k miles on the nose. Truck was bought in November of 12, so warranty good till 11-19.

Thoughts on these four??   Keep in mind, budget is an issue.

Be aware that there was an issue within a specific manufacturing window on the 2011 Fords in which the glow plug tips would break off and fall into the engine, causing major damage.  I'm only aware of this because TN22 has a 2011 F250 and told me about the potential problem as his was built during this window.  He got a great deal, so opted to take the chance. You might reach out to him.  That being said, at 112K, I'd highly doubt this would be a problem. Like Lone-Star said, the 10K difference in price would cover the cost of a lot of repairs, but - Less Miles and Warranty is always better, amen!

Me personally, anything past 40k in that year and I would start looking at new. Your first one looks great. My neighbor has a very similar tire on his 04 f250. They are noisy and ride like crap. You won't like them for long trips.

Be careful with the leveling. Depending on how it was done, your extra weight from the trailer could cause you issues with getting your hitch adjusted correctly. I have not seen issues personally but have heard that you could run into them.

Sounds like you are getting close. We are getting ready to take the TT and the 2500 on it's first trip tuesday. Going about 400 miles and over Jelico mountain. Should be a good trial run. Will let you know how it goes.