• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes... we're having a lot of fun :)

I think it's a great color, just not for a truck :D Go Vols!

To me, a buyback is the same thing as a lemon. Will they disclose the reason for the buyback? Also, if it is a buyback, it probably will decrease its resell value. Just a thought. For GMC, I have not

We made our maiden voyage this past weekend to SC (around 400 miles each way); I found the ride to be a bit bouncy, but that may be because we need to adjust our WDH a little more. Plus a good portion of the rode was very bumpy cement :wacko: But as for towing, all I have to say is... yes, boys... size DOES make a difference! :P It was AWESOME to step on the gas and truck actually pulled! Getting on the freeway on-ramp and then up to speeds of 60mph?? NO problem!! Going up hills was nothing for this beast... the cruise control was set to 68 and it stayed there (without strain). So yes, we're doing our happy dance

Congrats! So glad you guys were able to find something that suits you. Now you can start looking at bigger campers!

Now, I'll be the party pooper.. your tires on the camper are likely only rated for 65mph. It can be tough, but I stick to 62-64mph because of that.

Nacole/Tom,

Congrats on finally finding something. Don't worry to much about those reatraints for the long twrm. Before you know it, the kiddos will be in boosters and those won't be needed anymore.

I second the 65 mph deal. I searched my tires sidewalls and couldn't find my rating. I think it is 65 though. We just got back from a similar distance trip with some Appalachian mountains. The power is great but the speed limit due to tire rating sucks.

On the other hand....did you get to try out the truck side of any truck stop. Did for my first time and it is a night and day difference. So much more comfortable pulling into the truck side of the station. Lots of room to work with. We only stopped 2 times, once down and once back. We were averaging about 14mph with the 6.7 cummins. I was shocked to see it that high. Get further on a single tank than the hemi.

What were you getting in the f250? Really curious.

Nacole/Tom,

Congrats on finally finding something. Don't worry to much about those reatraints for the long twrm. Before you know it, the kiddos will be in boosters and those won't be needed anymore.

I second the 65 mph deal. I searched my tires sidewalls and couldn't find my rating. I think it is 65 though. We just got back from a similar distance trip with some Appalachian mountains. The power is great but the speed limit due to tire rating sucks.

On the other hand....did you get to try out the truck side of any truck stop. Did for my first time and it is a night and day difference. So much more comfortable pulling into the truck side of the station. Lots of room to work with. We only stopped 2 times, once down and once back. We were averaging about 14mph with the 6.7 cummins. I was shocked to see it that high. Get further on a single tank than the hemi.

Hey...

Yes, we did use the truck side of the truck stops.  SO much easier!!  I'm pretty sure the truckers were laughing at me, but I don't care :)   We were at 12 mpg this trip.  I'm not surprised that your RAM got 14 mpg, we almost went with a RAM for that reason (research Tom had done showed better gas mileage).   I think your tank is also larger... I want to say that ours is only 26, which stinks. 

I agree about the tire rating being a bummer however... probably not a bad thing as you get feeling too comfortable and have to remind yourself, "oh yeah... I'm pulling something"  :rolleyes:

Nacole/Tom,

Hey...

Yes, we did use the truck side of the truck stops.  SO much easier!!  I'm pretty sure the truckers were laughing at me, but I don't care :)   We were at 12 mpg this trip.  I'm not surprised that your RAM got 14 mpg, we almost went with a RAM for that reason (research Tom had done showed better gas mileage).   I think your tank is also larger... I want to say that ours is only 26, which stinks. 

I agree about the tire rating being a bummer however... probably not a bad thing as you get feeling too comfortable and have to remind yourself, "oh yeah... I'm pulling something"  :rolleyes:

Yeah I caught myself at 75 a few times and thinking holy %*#!. I ended up setting it on cruise and turning on the tow mode and engine brake. I let the truck do the work.

26 gallon is pretty small. I would see if there is an option to put a larger tank in there.

Glad everything worked out for you guys. Maybe one of these days we will get to see the truck in person if we are ever at the fort at the same time.

We made our maiden voyage this past weekend to SC (around 400 miles each way); I found the ride to be a bit bouncy, but that may be because we need to adjust our WDH a little more.  Plus a good portion of the rode was very bumpy cement  :wacko:   ....

Congratulations. I'm sure you will like it.

Trucks tend to be a harder ride so some of the bounce is just getting used to it. I am so used to it I can't drive in cars that have softer suspensions.

My owner's manual says it is based on weight in the seat. 150 lbs and it automatically activates itself.

That sounds very high to me. We had issues with a new car where it would not detect my wife when sitting in the passenger seat and would deactivate the passenger airbags. It was a 2013 model and at that time the NHTSA specs said it needed to be activated for passengers weighing 90 lbs or more.

My owner's manual says it is based on weight in the seat. 150 lbs and it automatically activates itself.

That sounds very high to me. We had issues with a new car where it would not detect my wife when sitting in the passenger seat and would deactivate the passenger airbags. It was a 2013 model and at that time the NHTSA specs said it needed to be activated for passengers weighing 90 lbs or more.

I could be wrong about that number. I guessed...

Congrats on the truck. I will miss this thread. I was also surprised when I bought my 2012 that it wasn't set up with the latch system. But I just used the seat belt and it worked fine. Now we're on to booster seat so it doesn't matter. Your fuel tank should be 28 gal. Also when ever your DEF falls under half a tank make sure you feel it all the way full. The sensor only reads empty, half, and full. No Def and the truck will shut down. Also you will burn more Def when towing. Also I don't know if you bought from a Ford dealer or not but back around March there was a important computer update done make sure the truck had it done. Enjoy your 3/4 ton hot rod.

Check your tires to see if they have the ST designation.  The text below is from tirerack.com

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=219

Special Trailer (ST) Tire Speed Ratings

Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.

However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.

Do not exceed the wheel's maximum rated pressure. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).

The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.

Congrats on the new truck!

Check your tires to see if they have the ST designation.  The text below is from tirerack.com

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=219

Special Trailer (ST) Tire Speed Ratings

Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.

However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.

Do not exceed the wheel's maximum rated pressure. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).

The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.

Congrats on the new truck!

10 psi more who knew

In fueling at truck stops on the truck side please take time to learn the fueling procedures, most use a credit card so no biggie but if paying cash, after your done fueling pull forward just past the pumps to allow the truck behind you( If there is one there) to pull up to the pump then go inside to cash out or have the co driver inside already. These drivers are on a schedule and everything helps us to stay friendly with them. Also another word of caution after your done wherever you are parked & whatever you are towing always, ALWAYS check your hitch connections to make sure no one has tampered with them. This ends our PSA, thank you.

In fueling at truck stops on the truck side please take time to learn the fueling procedures, most use a credit card so no biggie but if paying cash, after your done fueling pull forward just past the pumps to allow the truck behind you( If there is one there) to pull up to the pump then go inside to cash out or have the co driver inside already. These drivers are on a schedule and everything helps us to stay friendly with them. Also another word of caution after your done wherever you are parked & whatever you are towing always, ALWAYS check your hitch connections to make sure no one has tampered with them. This ends our PSA, thank you.

Thanks Rennie.... really great tips!! 

Yeah I caught myself at 75 a few times and thinking holy %*#!. I ended up setting it on cruise and turning on the tow mode and engine brake. I let the truck do the work.

26 gallon is pretty small. I would see if there is an option to put a larger tank in there.

Glad everything worked out for you guys. Maybe one of these days we will get to see the truck in person if we are ever at the fort at the same time.

Yes... our tank is small :(    It would be nice to get a larger one, but can they do this without taking up space in the back of your truck (we saw a Ford for sale that had an extra gas tank in the bed of his truck)?

Hopefully we will meet up at the Fort one of these days!  We'll start the 12 month period of our annual pass at halloween and (with that trip) we have 6 trips planned for the "year"  (Oct, Christmas, April, Memorial Day, Labor Day and Oct) so hopefully it will happen! :)

Yes... our tank is small :( It would be nice to get a larger one, but can they do this without taking up space in the back of your truck (we saw a Ford for sale that had an extra gas tank in the bed of his truck)?

Hopefully we will meet up at the Fort one of these days! We'll start the 12 month period of our annual pass at halloween and (with that trip) we have 6 trips planned for the "year" (Oct, Christmas, April, Memorial Day, Labor Day and Oct) so hopefully it will happen! :)

What days do you have planned Oct 2016? I am probably booking tonight for the last week of October and the first week of november. Still trying to figure out how my son's school schedule comes into play.

What days do you have planned Oct 2016? I am probably booking tonight for the last week of October and the first week of november. Still trying to figure out how my son's school schedule comes into play.

We're scheduled for 10/8 - 10/16... looks like we'll just miss you :(

We're scheduled for 10/8 - 10/16... looks like we'll just miss you :(

Again????:(

Congrats on the new truck finally!

I feel your pain with the missing LATCH system, I'm used to using the belt and anchor behind the headrest now.

Titan ( I think thats the brand) makes fuel tanks to replace the stock one and if I remember right its around 50 gallons. Give them a look if you are wanting to spend the $$ on a larger tank.

I hope you got a discount on the truck for that hideous front plate  :P

I'll second that GO VOLS! from GradyBunch  :D

Congrats on your purchase!!!

You have now entered the world of the Ford Powerstroke Diesel. 

Might I recommend a little wandering around the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ford-powerstroke-scorpion-6-7-2011-forums/

I have been very happy with my 04 Powerstroke Lariat, but I must admit through the years I have spent thousands on the engine.  Now, mine is a 6.0 and I'm hoping Ford/International learned from their mistakes with the 6.0

Congrats on your purchase!!!

You have now entered the world of the Ford Powerstroke Diesel. 

Might I recommend a little wandering around the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ford-powerstroke-scorpion-6-7-2011-forums/

I have been very happy with my 04 Powerstroke Lariat, but I must admit through the years I have spent thousands on the engine.  Now, mine is a 6.0 and I'm hoping Ford/International learned from their mistakes with the 6.0

Thanks for the link!

Congrats on the new truck finally!

I feel your pain with the missing LATCH system, I'm used to using the belt and anchor behind the headrest now.

Titan ( I think thats the brand) makes fuel tanks to replace the stock one and if I remember right its around 50 gallons. Give them a look if you are wanting to spend the $$ on a larger tank.

I hope you got a discount on the truck for that hideous front plate  :P

I'll second that GO VOLS! from GradyBunch  :D

Okay... you and GradyBunch stink  ;)     On the fuel tank...we'll take a wait and see on that.  The larger tank would be nice but, we still have little ones so an extra stop on the way to the Fort isn't the worst thing for little legs and little bladders :)  The rest of the time, we're pretty local with our camping.  Silly that Ford put in such a small tank (I think the extended cab is larger?).

Thanks for the link!

Okay... you and GradyBunch stink  ;)     On the fuel tank...we'll take a wait and see on that.  The larger tank would be nice but, we still have little ones so an extra stop on the way to the Fort isn't the worst thing for little legs and little bladders :)  The rest of the time, we're pretty local with our camping.  Silly that Ford put in such a small tank (I think the extended cab is larger?).

Just remember, a bigger tank is added weight when full, which will affect your MPG slightly.