• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It takes me 20 hours to get form my home in South Bend Indiana to the Fort. 1150 miles give or take a few. I always run 31 to 465 east to I65 to I24 to I75 then the Fl turnpike. the only mountain in this route is mount eagle and it is not an issue just slow down and you will be just fine it is only 55mph at that point anyway. The trucks have to use the Atl bypass you don't and it will save you time to stay on I75 and go straight through ATL. but don't do that in Macon once you get there the Macon Bypass is the faster route. I have made this trip with my camper in as little as 18 hours but I was alone and didn't stop much. I have found that anytime past macon is a great place to stop for the night. I you stop before Macon the computer traffic sucks the next morning. Most of the trip I run 65mph and get between 11 and 14 mpg depending on the wind speed and direction Im pulling the picture on the left but run diesel. hope this helps. Keep in mind once you get to the warmer climate it is hell on your TT's tires make sure they are inflated properly and that they stay cool. It really sucks changing a tire on I75. 

Andrew thanks so much. You are in my neck of the woods so your input is very helpful. 65mph wow you are flying. I get nervous with anything over 60 but we are still very new to pulling the TT.  

You won't be alone on the roads at 60 mph towing until you get to Florida. Im not sure what happens the moment you cross that line but once you enter florida on I75 the drivers fly and scare the hell out of me. The trucks are no exception just be on your toes and don't worry about mount eagle it is no big deal just stay at a lower speed and don't start back down it above 55mph and you will be just fine

Okay I will look into the temp gun, better safe than sorry. Our children travel pretty well. They seem to have massive bladders so that is helpful. I think the critters are staying homw this trip but that is still up in the air. We are thinking about stoping in Manchester, TN at the KOA there, any reviews?  We also are looking at a place just south of Lake City.

The by-pass is 475.  It is quick and the roads are in better condition that I 75 through the city.  If you need gas or food the Zebulon Road exit is a good place to stop.  (Also has a Wal-mart, Kroger, Lowe's (east side of the interstate), and -I believe- an auto supply store (west side).    

475 is the Macon bypass. That is a good bypass to take.

Does anyone use an infrared thermometer to check their tires?

Yes, each time we stop I will go around and hit all 10 tires. I'm not sure what "normal" is off the top of my head, I mainly look for drastic differences in temperatures.

A thought re: trailer brakes

Not a bad idea to find a good hill and take it out for a trial run.  I don't know if they're all the same, but our brake controller is adjustable and can go from really "grabby" to not grabby enough.  First big trip out each season we usually have to tweak the setting a bit. Plus that way you'll have a good idea of how to handle the braking situation before you hit the mountains.