I grew up camping at the Fort with my mom and dad, and now that I have 2 sons(2 and 4 in August)  of my own i went out and purchased my very first camper.

Were starting out small, gotta make sure the wife likes camping, so we got a 2016 Rockwood Premier 2516G, Its still at LazyDays getting some accessories added on to(a/c) it and a full detail 

While I am not new to camping, I am new to owning a camper.

My TV is a 2007 Nissan Xterra 4x4,its got the 4.0 v6 with decent power, 275 hp and 285 ft/lb tq.   

Last year when i was to go camping as a family we found my dad's hi-lo had water damage and so the extras i put on the Xterra like the P3 brake controller and Riderite airbags were never used.

I have not camped at the fort for at least 7 years, and no one in my family has owned a pop up so I am in uncharted territory with the Canvas tent material.

I do plan to park it in my garage when not in use, to extend its life, my dad didn't do that with the high-low as it was too big and well it went unused for over a year and that's when we found all the water damage...

What I do want to hear back about are tips or tricks for a new owner, especially for those that own pop up's

I have no experience backing the trailer up, and have done some reading about it but its always good to hear it from others.

So far were booked into the fort for this December 11-14 just a long weekend to get away, and I was looking to book in to 2016 but wont be able to do that til tomorrow when they open up the booking for 2016

Thanks for checking in!

Welcome!!! There are many popup owners on here that will give you really good advice about owning a PUP, but thanks for joining, enjoy the fun we have here, and just keep posting!

Oh, and as far as future Fort reservations, "Jason's the Man", :) a member here, and will take care of everything as far as booking the Fort for you!

Welcome  :welcome2:

The most common mistakes I see with new popup owners are: putting the stabilizer  jacks down before raising the roof,  trying to use the stabilizer as a means to level the camper, Putting the camper away with damp tenting.  Even if you have to pack up in the rain you should always set back up at home and let the tenting totally dry be for putting the camper away. It's better to leave the camper set up for days in the rain to wait for the rain to stop and allow the tenting to dry.

For all campers

Having the awning set up level where it can pool water to the point of the awning frame collapsing.  You should always have one end lower so the water will be sure to drain off.  

Welcome!!! There are many popup owners on here that will give you really good advice about owning a PUP, but thanks for joining, enjoy the fun we have here, and just keep posting!

Oh, and as far as future Fort reservations, "Jason's the Man", :) a member here, and will take care of everything as far as booking the Fort for you!

I have read about him already... does he charge for his services?

with the exception of the fort, I would say I am an expert at booking hotels at Disney, we did 27 nights in 2014 with the kids... the money I saved by not going in 2015 did the down payment on the PUP....  As i told the wife, we can stay 1 night at the Lodge or 2-3 nights at the camp ground.... she saw my side of things

When I had my travel trailer, I used a little trick to help me remember which way to turn the steering wheel when I was backing the trailer. I'd put my right hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, and then whichever way I wanted the trailer to go, that's the direction I'd move my right hand. I hope this helps you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No Jason does not charge at all!! To me it's much simpler. A single email any time of day or night, and things are taken care of. He also does dining reservations for those he has booked, so once again an email to Jason, and he does the watching for 180 days out.

Jason, also watches on a daily basis for any discounts that he can apply to your reservation, and looks for those elusive nights that are hard to find.

Now, that doesn't stop me from playing with the Disney website on a regular basis :)

I have read about him already... does he charge for his services?

Everything Carol said is correct. I do not charge any fees. I can help with dining, booking activities and even ust a sounding board when something doesnt seem right in your head. I have had some clients too run into trouble on the way there and with a message to me I get on the phone and inform the Fort of arriving a day late, cancelling dining if needed to try and save you any fees, things like that. Basically Concierge service fr the same price you would pay anyway. 

Everything Carol said is correct. I do not charge any fees. I can help with dining, booking activities and even ust a sounding board when something doesnt seem right in your head. I have had some clients too run into trouble on the way there and with a message to me I get on the phone and inform the Fort of arriving a day late, cancelling dining if needed to try and save you any fees, things like that. Basically Concierge service fr the same price you would pay anyway. 

just sent you a message!

Welcome to the Fiends, and welcome to Pop Up camping. Every time I think about a TT, I open all the flaps on the PUP...it is like living in a screen house, and I love it!

Putting up the PUP wet is sometimes unavoidable, but I want to double up on the advice to open it back up as soon as you get home and let it dry out. Also second the advice to lower stabilizers AFTER you crank the top up. Level the PUP, raise the top, lower the stabilizers.

As I recall, the canvas on a Rockwood needs to go thru a couple of wet dry cycles before it is 100% waterproof. Check with your dealer, but I'm pretty sure you need to open it up and wet it down with a hose/let it dry/repeat.

Backing up a PUP is a bit more "wiggly" than a longer TT. Practice at a local parking lot. You will see that small corrections are better than flinging the wheel back and forth. I also use the hand at the bottom of the steering wheel method and always just use the mirrors.

Another tip is to run your A/C fan on high speed - it helps with air flow so that it doesn't freeze up as easy. PUP's aren't as well insulated as TT's...

Welcome.

As a proud owner of a vintage 86 Coleman PUP welcome to the PUP club.

Other people have given you good advice, but let me add one thing. Make sure you fold up the pup before you retract the stabilizers. I forgot one time, climbed into a bunk end to grab something, and flipped the pup up a couple of feet. Look into a BAL leveler if you have a single axle pup. You might not need it at the Fort since most lots are pretty level but it'll come in handy at other sites. I got wheel chocks and the tri level leveler blocks off of Amazon at a great price, which I don't need at the moment since I purchased a BAL afterwards.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the advice!

So far I have the following:

wheel chocks qty 2

25ft drinking hose

15 amp to 30 amp adapter

stainless steel water pressure regulator

brass 90' elbow for water inlet

grey water 90' drain connection

grey water sewer port/cap 

scissor jack drill adapter 

carpet for the step

I know i still need a grey water hose ( 25+ foot should work)

I was looking at surge protection, Thoughts on that? I have seen a $40 Camco and a $70 one from another brand on amazon.

I am interested in the BAL Leveler saw it for $77 so its not so bad.

I was also looking a a folding table, I saw one that was an aluminum roll top and folded like the camping chairs for $40 at target

we already had camping chairs for the family, and a Coleman stove, lantern ( gas and 2 battery operated)

As for comfort stuff, bedding and such I have not tried out the bed, but I would imagine that its going to be significantly worse that my Prana Sleep bed, so ill be hunting for a mattress topper, I do plan on getting a set of the Malouf Z pillows as they are what we already use in our home and love them and then bamboo sheets, if you haven't tried those pillows or sheets they are great! well worth the added costs

Welcome  :welcome2:

The most common mistakes I see with new popup owners are: putting the stabilizer  jacks down before raising the roof,  trying to use the stabilizer as a means to level the camper, Putting the camper away with damp tenting.  Even if you have to pack up in the rain you should always set back up at home and let the tenting totally dry be for putting the camper away. It's better to leave the camper set up for days in the rain to wait for the rain to stop and allow the tenting to dry.

For all campers

Having the awning set up level where it can pool water to the point of the awning frame collapsing.  You should always have one end lower so the water will be sure to drain off.  

the setup for Rockwood says the opposite, they want you to put the stabilizers down after the unit is leveled and prior to raising the roof.

Whats the reason for not putting them down?

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the advice!

So far I have the following:

wheel chocks qty 2

25ft drinking hose

15 amp to 30 amp adapter

stainless steel water pressure regulator

brass 90' elbow for water inlet

grey water 90' drain connection

grey water sewer port/cap 

scissor jack drill adapter 

carpet for the step

I know i still need a grey water hose ( 25+ foot should work)

I was looking at surge protection, Thoughts on that? I have seen a $40 Camco and a $70 one from another brand on amazon.

I am interested in the BAL Leveler saw it for $77 so its not so bad.

I was also looking a a folding table, I saw one that was an aluminum roll top and folded like the camping chairs for $40 at target

we already had camping chairs for the family, and a Coleman stove, lantern ( gas and 2 battery operated)

As for comfort stuff, bedding and such I have not tried out the bed, but I would imagine that its going to be significantly worse that my Prana Sleep bed, so ill be hunting for a mattress topper, I do plan on getting a set of the Malouf Z pillows as they are what we already use in our home and love them and then bamboo sheets, if you haven't tried those pillows or sheets they are great! well worth the added costs

Watch out for the thickness of the mattress topper.

Another site was talking about their topper was so thick that they had a hard time getting the roof latched.

They suggested doing a tissue box crush test.  Cut the box down to the thickness of the topper you want, put it on the bed and close up the pup.  If the box is crushed then you need a thinner topper.  Of course, if it's memory foam, it'll eventually compress down, but it may strain everything until it does.

Throw some pieces of wood into the mix for putting under your stabilizers in case you have soft soil.

Without the BAL, how are you going to level side to side?  You will need tri level blocks, lego levelers, pieces of wood, etc. 

Check Craigslist for the BAL, I got one for $40 from someone that moved up to a twin axle TT.

In line water filter?

Extra extension cords for lamps, decorative lights, crock pots, coffee makers etc.

Flashlights

Themacell systems for mosquitos

Good ice chest or two.  We use Coleman extremes, they are more $$ than the regulars, but a lot less expensive than a Yeti or Bison !

Not to take away from this site, but check out popupportal.com.  Lots of good info on everything pop up, but they are not as fun loving as the Fiends!

the setup for Rockwood says the opposite, they want you to put the stabilizers down after the unit is leveled and prior to raising the roof.

Whats the reason for not putting them down?

This is from the Colemans owners maual.

They have in there in 2 places

Caution, Do not lower the stabilizer jacks prior to raising the trailer top as this can place undue stress on the trailer frame and lift system.

Do not use the stabilizer jacks to take the weight of the trailer off of the tires except when changing a flat.  The jacks are to stabilize only.

Now if your manual says otherwise, follow those instructions.

I have a bunch of MagLites, 3-4 of the LED ones,  I forgot to mention I have 2 thermacell mosquito things.

I have a 35 qt engel cooler (costs more than the Coleman, less than the yeti), thing holds ice for days and days in the Florida heat

I am planning on getting the BAL for sure, I have checked craigslist and have not found any yet

I have tried to register on popup portal but never get an activation email, so forget it,  Ill just post things here as you all have been very helpful.

I have a bunch of MagLites, 3-4 of the LED ones,  I forgot to mention I have 2 thermacell mosquito things.

I have a 35 qt engel cooler (costs more than the Coleman, less than the yeti), thing holds ice for days and days in the Florida heat

I am planning on getting the BAL for sure, I have checked craigslist and have not found any yet

I have tried to register on popup portal but never get an activation email, so forget it,  Ill just post things here as you all have been very helpful.

I'm in Tampa.  Before we got our BAL, there used to be one in Ft Myers, but I didn't want to drive that far.  That was sometime last year so I'm sure it's long gone.

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, check out the multi bulb LED lights they have.  They were free with a coupon up until yesterday.

We have a couple of them.  They are like an oblong hockey puck and have a magnet and a hook on them.  You can use it like a little flood light, or push again and it has a single bulb in the end to use as a flashlight. We keep them next to the door to use to go to the bathroom at night.

DollarTree carries a bunch of battery operated LED string lights.  Usually 5 or 6 on a string with a battery pack on the end.  I loop them over the bunk end tension rod, and use them as a night light for the granddaughters.  They have flowers, dragonflies, stars, and now red solo cups.

Make sure you get 2 different color hoses so they do not get mixed up and use your water hose to drain. As far as backing sometimes you might do better if you unhook and push the camper into place just make sure your not on a big slope or get as close as you can  with the tow vehicle then push, plus with a pop up you can always turn it for the best view.

Make sure you get 2 different color hoses so they do not get mixed up and use your water hose to drain. As far as backing sometimes you might do better if you unhook and push the camper into place just make sure your not on a big slope or get as close as you can  with the tow vehicle then push, plus with a pop up you can always turn it for the best view.

I do a poor job of backing.  We pull up as close as possible, drop it off the hitch and roll it into place, just like a big stroller.

Of course, it helps that the Fort has the paved pads and packed sand.

Don't know what I'll do if we go to "real" campground!

White hoses for input water.  Any other color for output.