Right now there are all level of sites available Monday- Friday even with FL res. discounts.  So except for the weekends which are always tough to get there is availability.  I would rather they do a whole loop at a time rather than it always seeming like they are working everytime I go.  Even if they are just trimming the trees and leveling the sand pads. It would be tough to do without impacting guest.  Not to mention the added burden of safety of the kids that are going to want to watch the work.  This is one of the few cases that I think management is right.   

Right now there are all level of sites available Monday- Friday even with FL res. discounts.  So except for the weekends which are always tough to get there is availability.  I would rather they do a whole loop at a time rather than it always seeming like they are working everytime I go.  Even if they are just trimming the trees and leveling the sand pads. It would be tough to do without impacting guest.  Not to mention the added burden of safety of the kids that are going to want to watch the work.  This is one of the few cases that I think management is right.   

Good point about the maintenance.  But they certainly could pick up the pace, and get stuff done on the weekdays, and not tie up loops for this on the weekends.

TCD

Good point about the maintenance.  But they certainly could pick up the pace, and get stuff done on the weekdays, and not tie up loops for this on the weekends.

TCD

Hey, it takes a long time to add a yard of sand and smooth it out!

Don't forget they have to tastefully trim the trees, they cant just do it willy-nilly!

And if they have to replace a circuit breaker on a power pole that's at least a 3 day job.

Then they have to wait for brown paint guy to arrive.

There's another reason why Fort bookings can be hard to get during what would be considered a not busy time.

They shut down whole loops during the slow times for maintenance:  http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/16409-800-loop-closing-for-maintenance/

It seems like a better business practice would be to do maintenance year-round.  But, the Fort management doesn't concern itself with better business practices.

TCD

If they are doing heavy duty maintenance, ripping up roads, breaking up pads, etc., then I could see shutting down an entire loop.

If they are just refurbing the sites, adding sand, trimming trees, they should just close a site and the ones on either side of it so people aren't disturbed, then roll down to the next one and on and on.

Might take a little planning on their end, but it would be doable.

This all sounds good if it's minor or routine maintenance, but if it's elec upgrade, water line repair, road repair, pad repair etc that is usually an outside contractor. If so, then they are given a window in which to get the work done, not a specific date to start the job.

This all sounds good if it's minor or routine maintenance, but if it's elec upgrade, water line repair, road repair, pad repair etc that is usually an outside contractor. If so, then they are given a window in which to get the work done, not a specific date to start the job.

That's a valid point.  And, we've seen loops closed for long periods of time relative to the amount of work actually done.  The most recent example I can think of is the 900 loop being unoccupied for a week or ten days in June, when all they did was replace a drainage pipe near the loop entrance.  That job probably could have been done in two-three days.

But, you know how road crews work, right?

TCD

Not to mention that some of these items will likely require a government inspector who will add an unknown amount of delay to the project.

That's a valid point.  And, we've seen loops closed for long periods of time relative to the amount of work actually done.  The most recent example I can think of is the 900 loop being unoccupied for a week or ten days in June, when all they did was replace a drainage pipe near the loop entrance.  That job probably could have been done in two-three days.

But, you know how road crews work, right?

TCD

Yep, it's bid by the job, so they could have two or three jobs going at the same time in different locations. As long as they meet the deadline in the contract that's all that counts.