More DVC rumors for the Fort and other resorts

From the Disney Gossip blog...

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A few Walt Disney World hotel Rumors

As the Art of Animation Resort opens look for some of the other resorts that offer 5 person rooms to stop making those rooms available. I'm not sure why they would want to force all larger families to AoA when they can offer different experiences and different price points at resorts like Port Orleans French Quarter. But that's what hotel managers were told at a recent meeting.

Another function of the Art of Animation coming online, is that the extra capacity will allow Disney to close down parts of the Polynesian hotel for a long needed upgrade. Apparently construction in the 70s still used Asbestos and Disney needs to address this. Due the way the Poly was constructed, they won't be able to refurbish in place and instead will be erecting all new buildings.

The plan was to do this over time, but the whole resort might close down while they work on the main building with Ohana's and check-in. Look for Disney to shift as many existing reservations as they can to DVC properties like OKW and Saratoga Springs which are always under booked. Work continues on a new pool for Saratoga which should help it attract a few more guests. A new night-show at Downtown Disney could also help Saratoga, as long as you don't mind fireworks going off at 11pm nightly.

As you may have heard the Grand Floridian will be getting a DVC building, spoiling the official 'front' of the hotel, but you can't see it anyway due to the trees. This is going to tax the GFs already limited parking situation. Things get quite crazy when there is a convention and wedding scheduled during the busy season. Don't even think of parking there during Golf tournaments.

The next DVC to be announced will be at the old River Country site. No name or design announced yet. The announcement date depends on the Grand Floridian sales numbers. Disney has no idea how long they'll be able to ride the DVC wave, but they plan to ride it to the shore (and probably a bit into town).

Much like Downtown Disney, Flamingo Crossing continues its holding pattern. They can't get 3rd parties to build there either. That should be a lesson to Disney, don't count your chicks before they hatch.

http://www.disneygossip.com/2011/04/few-walt-disney-world-hotel-rumors.html

Internally, nothing has shown up regarding any new DVCs or Poly refurbishment. Not that there isn't anything in the pre-construction or planning stages, but I'll wait for the official release. It would be unusual in these times for Disney to go ahead with everything that is being rumored.

It makes good reading for the Disney junkies though. 

IF you have the money to 'buy in' without financing DVC, it is a 'deal'.  Overall, you come out a little bit better on 'bang for your buck' in CERTAIN circumstances based on the number of people traveling; number of days you stay per year; yada yada.  There are spreadsheets breaking it down.  It ISN'T for everyone, but some people do get a better deal using DVC.  Camping at The Fort is NOT one of the ways to break even - or get a better deal.  IF (or when) DVC comes to The Fort, it MIGHT be a deal for some of us.  Even I would look into that  :argh:

We almost went DVC in 09 because we were smushed into POR and we had the PUP at the time and were smushed in that!  Our problem with DVC is that we don't need a fancy room, if we could get good discounts through DVC on tickets, we would definitely buy into it.  It's not the hotel room that kills our bank account, it's the park tickets, and I still have one child under 3!

We almost went DVC in 09 because we were smushed into POR and we had the PUP at the time and were smushed in that!  Our problem with DVC is that we don't need a fancy room, if we could get good discounts through DVC on tickets, we would definitely buy into it.  It's not the hotel room that kills our bank account, it's the park tickets, and I still have one child under 3!

There are Annual Pass discounts with DVC - but that only works if you make multiple trips in a year ... which is one of the points I made.  IF you make multiple trips, etc it MIGHT be a deal.

Not sure if anyone else will remember this but in 1992 OKW was offering 4 free annuals a year - for the next 8 or 10 years until 2000something - if you bought in. 2000 seemed like such a long time away back then, now it's like ancient history.

Even though the last of those passes would have expired years ago, I'm still kicking myself for not taking advantage of it. To be fair tho, there were tons of timeshares everywhere, and the maintainence fees were equal to what we paid for ten days at the BC or Poly back then, so OKW just didn't excite us.  Wish I'd known then that the DVC tide would shortly grow into a tsunami that encompassed mickey's world... :rofl2:

We own DVC for now, but we take advantage of the $100 discount on annual passes and schedule our visits within a 12 month period to save.  We're doing it this year, buying June and then going again in the beginning of December.  So our costs will only be gas, in a small car, and food.  That saves a bunch of money for us.  After that we may sell it due to our upcoming retirement.  We like camping better anyway.  Using DVC for the premiums is not really a savings for us.

We have owned our DVC membership since 1996 and for most of those years I feel like we got our money's worth out of it.  Now that we have the motorhome, our daughters and their families use it more than we do (which is fine with us) to go to the Hilton Head resort or to visit WDW.  We've used points several times for the Fort and I feel like it is a good deal.  I'll admit though that I would sell at least some of our points if I could get my husband to agree to it...he loves our DVC!!! 

We own (since 1992) and just purchased more last month.  For us it works wonderfully.  At least every other year, if not back to back years, we trade points for a Disney cruise.  Saves us a ton.  In fact, we don't sail Disney (except for FF Dream cruise) unless we can use points.  They are just too expensive if paying cash, so we go Princess.  Anyway, we use at the Fort when it's peak season & sites are $100 a night.  We can take trips with kids or in-laws at OKW in the 2-bedroom & it saves a bundle.  It isn't for everyone, it is for us.

For folks that have used their DVC @ the Fort how far out did you book we have tried to use ours for the Fort but did not hve good luck. I got all excited when we could start to use our points there and once figured out we could have been there for 11 weeks on our points  :rofl2:

Usually we book 6-11 months out.  We called just last week to book the week after Easter (as in a couple of weeks away) & low & behold they had sites!  Unfortunately for us we were within 4 months of use year & this is a trade, so we couldn't book it  :argh:  We ended up with studio at OKW instead.