Updated 10/22 They're Here Sort of Purple Magic Bands!

Sort of...

SOM7959141.jpg

Retail MagicBands for Haunted Mansion and Disney Villains
Two new retail MagicBands are coming to Walt Disney World Resort on October 9. The Disney Villains MagicBand is open edition while the Haunted Mansion-themed MagicBand is limited release. You may notice that both MagicBands are printed on a much requested purple-colored MagicBand.

Just as an aside on this thread.....  Did you know, if you are friends with someone in MDE you can buy a retail Magic Band in their name and activate it immediately in their account?

On our recent trip my nephew found a retail Grumpy band and bought it for his father, activating it at the same time.

So, all he needed was his fathers PIN and he could have charged up a storm.

I'm not a big fan of this way of doing things.

Just as an aside on this thread.....  Did you know, if you are friends with someone in MDE you can buy a retail Magic Band in their name and activate it immediately in their account?

On our recent trip my nephew found a retail Grumpy band and bought it for his father, activating it at the same time.

Was the dad staying at a WDW resort at the time of the MB purchase?

TCD

Was the dad staying at a WDW resort at the time of the MB purchase?

TCD

That's what doesn't make sense to me.

You can add a charge card to a MB only if you are staying at a resort, and you still need a PIN to use it.

Why can't you have a charge account attached to your passholder MB, especially if you need a PIN to finish the transaction?

Would make it simpler to purchase items like food/drink at the Food and Wine Festival without having to dig your charge card or cash out at every booth (and I know they are selling those nifty gift cards on a string).

That's what doesn't make sense to me.

You can add a charge card to a MB only if you are staying at a resort, and you still need a PIN to use it.

Why can't you have a charge account attached to your passholder MB, especially if you need a PIN to finish the transaction?

Would make it simpler to purchase items like food/drink at the Food and Wine Festival without having to dig your charge card or cash out at every booth (and I know they are selling those nifty gift cards on a string).

That's why I asked.

MB's can only be used for charging to "the room," which requires the MB owner to be a registered guest of a WDW hotel at the time.

TCD

Slight edit:

That's why I asked.

MB's can only be used for charging to "the room," which requires the MB owner to be a registered guest of a WDW hotel (who elected to have charging privileges) at the time.

TCD

I understand, but I can't figure out why the restrictions on these do it all devices of the future.

If you really wanted to make them useful that is one of the things they should be able to do all the time.

I understand, but I can't figure out why the restrictions on these do it all devices of the future.

If you really wanted to make them useful that is one of the things they should be able to do all the time.

I have to figure it's less of a concern to have the charges posted on the account of a registered hotel guest, as opposed to letting anyone with a MB and MDE account charge whenever they want.  On a room charge, they only actually charge your card periodically- not for every individual transaction.  It seems like it would be much more complicated and time consuming to extend MB charging to everyone.

TCD

Just as an aside on this thread..... Did you know, if you are friends with someone in MDE you can buy a retail Magic Band in their name and activate it immediately in their account?

oh I wouldn't be a fan of selling anything with my name on it. I would take a very huge magnet to the thing. Plus I have a super geek on staff to wipe the thing clean. At the least I would double check with Disney peeps to see that it was blank before I sold anything. No one needs to have my pass info.

Well, I've been on the road for the last 4 hours. The SC/GA/NC Highway Patrol take a dim view of me posting and driving.....

Yes, my brother was on site at the time. His son gave it to him while we were at dinner, he took off his old one, put on the Grumpy one and used it for the rest of the night charging and opening gates/doors.

I just think it's a hole in their security system to allow someone else to activate a band for me.  Just because someone is a "friend" on MDE with me does not mean I want them to be able to get a key to my room by just buying a $15 magic band.

Love the haunted mansion one! I'm too cheap to actually buy one...but it is pretty awesome!

I think your quote is an oxymoron when you have the pic of your 5th wheel and a motor home below it.....LOL

oh I wouldn't be a fan of selling anything with my name on it. I would take a very huge magnet to the thing. Plus I have a super geek on staff to wipe the thing clean. At the least I would double check with Disney peeps to see that it was blank before I sold anything. No one needs to have my pass info.

There is no personal information on the MB.  It only has a number that is associated to your account when you activate the MB.  Your MDE account is where all the actual personal information is held. If you deactivate the MB it is no longer tied to your account. The new owner can then activate the MB tieing it to their account and their information.  The MB itself is just a random number that means nothing until tied to an account.  

HPHI890895-613x613.jpg

Mo posted this in the MNSSHP Thread also

New ‘Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular’ Items Coming to Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party in October

I loved seeing the “Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular” a few weeks ago during Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom Park. If you plan on attending an event in October, I invite you to look for a few commemorative items inspired by this new show.

We have an event T-shirt featuring the Sanderson Sisters and Disney Villains from the show such as Dr. Facilier and Maleficent.

Guests attending the events may also find artwork for select mobile phones at the new D-Tech on Demand area inside Tomorrowland Power and Light Co. at the exit of Space Mountain. We offer cases for iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5S, iPhone 5C, iPhone 6/6+ as well as Samsung Galaxy SIII, Samsung Galaxy 4, Samsung Galaxy 5 and Samsung Galaxy 6.

Finally, we will offer a limited release retail MagicBand starting October 9.

The best place to look for the event shirt and retail MagicBand is Emporium on Main Street, U.S.A.

The retail MagicBand may be found in additional locations such as Box Office Gifts on Main Street, U.S.A., Big Al’s in Frontierland and Tomorrowland Power and Light Co. in Tomorrowland

• 2 weeks later...

Newest info from Inside The Magic pages

New custom made “On Demand” MagicBands coming to Walt Disney World, purple MagicBand finally here

http://www.insidethemagic.net/merchandise/new-custom-made-on-demand-magicbands-coming-to-walt-disney-world-purple-magicband-finally-here/

In Walt Disney World, the MagicBand is an important accessory for guests and now a new option has premiered to personalize your MagicBand even more.

A new MagicBand On Demand location has opened inside the Tomorrowland Power & Light Co. location near Space Mountain in Magic Kingdom Park. This system takes its roots from the D-Tech On Demand system were you can custom-make your own phone case.

For the new On Demand MagicBand. Disney will offer your choice of eight different MagicBand colors including, for the first time ever, the color purple.

There are also approximately 40 graphics to apply to your custom MagicBand. Some graphics will be specific to the location like the classic Magic Kingdom Park attractions and icons graphics seen below.

In addition to artwork, the retail MagicBand can be personalized with a name printed on the outside.

Once designed, the retail MagicBand is printed on location quickly and efficiently.

For the final step, the custom retail MagicBand can be either associated to your My Disney Experience account, or you can give it as a gift to friends or family who may be visiting Walt Disney World Resort soon.

Retail for a custom retail MagicBand is $21.95 while a personalized retail MagicBand is $29.95.

dmbsbp3841-613x393.jpg