What are your thoughts and feelings about a Tow vehicle

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thoughts? overbuy…you will only regret the first payment… my 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax/Allison has 250,000 miles on it and is just broke in….I get 21 mpg on highway loaded without a towI get 9.5

sorry to hear so many of you are afflicted with fords….lol

Don't know if it's the front of your van, but I see it a lot out the back window of my truck. It appears to get smaller as it slowly falls back...

Good point Mike.

I will say that just because someone says that a truck can handle a certain weight, that doesnt take into account the "profile" of what you are towing. A load that is only cab high on a short small trailer will not tow like a 5er. I have hauled weight similar to my old travel trailer with my 1/2 tons and the difference is night and day without the huge profile of the trailer. All of the manufacturers are playing one upmanship with towing capacities and in my opinion are putting people into trucks that they will ultimately beat into the ground if they tow a lot. It always pays to buy more truck than you really need.

I have towed before - just not a 5er.  The 5er really is small & light - 29' and aluminum framing, etc.  Various forums have people talking about towing with a 1/2 ton series truck and having no problems - other than having to switch off the overdrive in the mountains.  Florida doesn't have too many of those.  :rofl2:  It's about 300 miles to Disney World, and 90% of it's interstate - and that's about all we're going to do other than some 'local' runs.

The F150 I'm going to get a look at on Monday is 'supposed' to have the Max Tow pkg - which would give it around 11K towing and more than enough GVW/Axle rating to handle to pin weight of the 5er.  If it doesn't have that, I'll probably go with the F250.  The F350 really is overkill - especially on the wallet :popo:

Do not forget that the tow rateing will also apply to the brakes as well, I am sure a 250 will have a better brake system maybe larger brake pads to assist with towing also don't forget added suspension. We have had rather large 5th wheels for about 10 years now and started with a single wheel 1 ton because everyone said that's all you need,well after gettig the duelly I would not go back to the singles it is so more stable in turns now.

I see your points as well but just don't cut things to close a little overkill will benifit in the long run, just my opinion.  :)Good luck on your choice >:D

I really am thinking it over.  The F150 is a 'New" 2010 - so it's at a really great price ... but if it doesn't have the max tow ratings, it's still a no go even with the deal.  It's one of the few 2x4 crew cab trucks they have - which is crazy, but ...

Short diversion, but not complete thread hijack:

What is the difference in a 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton truck?  The terms are used alot and I just get the confused glazed look in my eyes. :-\

Is a 150 a half, 250 a 3/4 and 350 a ton?  Same with 1500,2500,3500?

Thanks in advance.

>:D

Back to the normally scheduled topic.

Short diversion, but not complete thread hijack:

What is the difference in a 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton truck?  The terms are used alot and I just get the confused glazed look in my eyes. :-\

Is a 150 a half, 250 a 3/4 and 350 a ton?  Same with 1500,2500,3500?

Thanks in advance.

>:D

Back to the normally scheduled topic.

Long, long ago those were the actually load ratings on trucks - give or take.  Now they are sort of meaningless ...

The 150/1500 are the "1/2 ton"; the F250/2500 are "3/4 ton"; and yes, the F350/3500 are "1 ton" ...

Long, long ago those were the actually load ratings on trucks - give or take.  Now they are sort of meaningless ...

The 150/1500 are the "1/2 ton"; the F250/2500 are "3/4 ton"; and yes, the F350/3500 are "1 ton" ...

Thanks. :rofl2:

I get more edumukated here than other institutions I attended.  Can I get a Fiend Diploma? >:D

A lot has to do with personal preference.  I have a couple of kids, which is why I got the crew cab on my F150, and now my F250.  Trying not to sound like a paid representative from FORD, but this thing rocks.  It can haul ridiculous weights, yet I got a hand calc'd 20.4 MPG on an unloaded trip this weekend.  The Turbo Diesel on this thing is awesome!  Now I'm sure it's overkill for my 30 foot TT, but it's worth it to me.  Again, it's just a personal preference thing.

• 1 month later...

thoughts? overbuy…you will only regret the first payment…

my 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax/Allison has 250,000 miles on it and is just broke in….I get 21 mpg on highway loaded without a towI get 9.5 to 11.5 with current TT in tow…

I have yet to replace the original brakes…I just replace the original shocks a few months ago…I replaced tires with original 10 ply LT's everytime….60K miles average

I have pulled a lot of things with it….never a second thought given to it…

If you underbuy….you will be replacing all of those wearable items…often…and you and your truck will part a long time before 250K miles

the extended cab was a little cramped with me, my daughter, my son in law, and their two children for twelve hours…..crew cab would have been nice…

but, the extended cab was big enough for two adults and a maltese or two….

I have always been a believer in buying a little more than you really need. It worked out well for us when we upgraded the trailer. Sometimes I wish I could get away with a small 1/2 ton for my day to day but my truck has done everything I asked of it and more and is easy to drive with a big trailer, our 18 y/o son has driven it several times while towing our 32 ft TT and he remarks about how well it tows.