Lets hope 1 week is not too long in a small camper.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my review of the fort.

Check-in:

Since I arrived early, there was no one at the gates to check-in, so I parked at the gates and then walked into the lobby.  Very helpful and explained everything.  Even checked for me to make sure they knew I added on a day and that I would be on the same site.  Told me to come in on the day before I had to check-in for the other reservation.  Did that and no issues.

Site:

We were at site #347.  I think it was the only site that had no easy angle to back into.  It was about 1 site away from a walking path to the comfort station.  However, at night, you could barely see the entrance to comfort station.  No lights at the entrance, just about ⅔ way down the path.

The site was nice and we liked the location.  Big area behind, then the 200 Loop.  Wish we got a premium site with no sand.  Just too messy for me, but I do not like the beach because of the sand.  However, the dogs liked the sandy area, so I am mixed.  Definitely enough trees for shade.

I definitely liked the sink area at the site.  It made doing dishes a lot easier.  I have to remember a little table to put stuff on next time.

Golf Cart:

We got our golf cart from Steve.  He was great.  Delivered the cart to our site and picked it up from our site.  Very nice.  I would use him again.  I know everyone raves about Kenny, but I prefer to do stuff by e-mail, just makes my life easier and Kenny wanted me to call him.  My DD loved the GC and would definitely rent one again.  It takes way too long to get around without one.

Dog Park:

My dogs loved the dog park.  They are never on leash at home, except when we have to go someplace.  So for them to be couped up in the camper or even the little expen area that we have for them gets them stir crazy.  They enjoy walks, but love being off leash.  They definitely love playing Frisbee.  We ended up having to go during the hotter part of the day because my BC is a little too obsessive over her stuff so she will get into fights over her stuff.  Would like to see more shade and even the one of the watering stations over by where they have the picnic table.  However, them having water stations is great.  I loved all the Poop Bag spots that they have.  Although we always have them with us, it is nice to know that you are not far from getting one.

Comfort Station:

Although we have not camped at many private campgrounds, definitely the cleanest that we have been to.  I definitely did not have any issue showering or going to the restroom at these comfort stations.  A little pricey for the Washer and Dryer, especially since one of the dryers really did not dry.

The ice machine did not work the whole time I was there.  Although it was cheaper to get ice at the Settlement Trading Post, for those without GC, very inconvenient.

Pool:

The pool was definitely nice.  It was definitely very crowded on the weekends, but during the week it was very reasonable.  My DD loved the spray ground, but did not like it when the hard spray was on the steps.  Had to keep turning that part off.  Unfortunately parents do not make their kids follow rules and many of the older kids kept walking up the slide or running and almost knocking my daughter over.

The hot tub was warm, but not so hot.  Pool temperature a little chilly at first, but felt great.

Canoes:

We rented a canoe and took my DD out.  She did not know whether she liked it or not.  Very reasonably priced and although we were out for about 35 minutes or so, they still only charged us for 30 minutes.  I would not have complained if they charged me for the full hour.

Trading Post(Both Settlement and Meadows):

Although overpriced with most things, the ICE was not (At the Settlement).  It was 10 cents more then a 7-11 but the cost to go out and drive out to the 7-11 would have been more then the 10 cents.  It was also cheaper when you have an Annual Pass (10%), Premium Annual Pass (20%).  So after tax for me it was $2.48.  The people were very nice.  We even had one lady named Toby, give my DD her first Pin.  Did not want anything in return, was just being a typical Disney cast member and making the trip even more special for my DD.

Sing-a-long:

It was fun, but not as nice as the one they do at Hilton Head.  It was definitely nice to have Chip and Dale walk around and interact with everyone.

Trails End Dinner:

I thought one of the better buffets for the price.  You got the same food(meats and stuff) and you paid less then the other dinner buffets.  I paid more for lunch at some of the other restaurants, then I did for Dinner.

Trails End Takeout:

The Giddy Yap and Go was definitely worth the money.  We were able to eat leftovers and still had to throw some of the stuff out at the end.

Bus Transportation:

It seemed buses were coming all the time up and down the Yellow Route.  We did not have to wait long the one time we took the bus to the Outpost to catch a bus to DHS.  The buses to the parks seem to be hit or miss.  Sometimes the wait would be very little or we could be there for 20 minutes.  We saw a few buses from 1 park and then none for the others.

Playground:

The playground was definitely nice.  Just can not go down the slides when it is hot outside and the sun is beating down on them.  I guess that goes for all slides, not just the ones at Disney.

I think that covers everything.  We would definitely do it again.  I would like to have a bigger camper, not just for me, but for my dogs and we were very lucky with the weather.  Thanks for reading along.  Once again, hopefully pictures will come soon. Still need to find all the data cards and get some of the pictures off the phones.

1 week was definitely not long enough.  We could have stayed another week or even more.  I do not know if my dogs would have liked it.

Jon - Great report, and great review section! (most of which I agree with :grpwelcome:) Hope you can get your pics up. Sounds like you all had a good time. I agree that there's NEVER enough time at the fort!  :'( Any return trips planned?

Jon - Great report, and great review section! (most of which I agree with :'() Hope you can get your pics up. Sounds like you all had a good time. I agree that there's NEVER enough time at the fort!  ??? Any return trips planned?

No return trips planned to the fort.  However, that does not mean 1 will not come up.  However, I am coming down in a month to stay at the OMNI at Championshipgate, Boardwalk Villas, then the Beach Club Villas.  The OMNI is for work and then I added on the Boardwalk for a night.

jon

Great report! Thanks so much for posting.

How was the drive to/from? Any notable stops along the way? Can I ask what you spent in gas?

We've got two long trips planned this summer - one to the fort & another to WI. Between tolls, stops, and gas prices though, they're still in the reserved but not entirely definite yet stage...

Great report! Thanks so much for posting.

How was the drive to/from?

The drive was not too bad. Other then the traffic form people looking at tornado damage it was not that bad.

Any notable stops along the way?

Not really.  I liked to stop at the Travel Centers, the TA's and even the Flying J's were nice.  Although the TA around exit 70 off I-95 was very busy, but I think that was because of the traffic.

Can I ask what you spent in gas?

We stopped about 4 times spending about $60 in gas.  So probably for the whole trip close to $500 or a little above.  My car was getting about 9 miles per gallon.

We've got two long trips planned this summer - one to the fort & another to WI. Between tolls, stops, and gas prices though, they're still in the reserved but not entirely definite yet stage...

Definitely understand.  I am doing the drive again in May, but this time my work is paying for the miles and I do not have to pull a trailer.

I just talked to Steve, and I reserved a six seat cart for 8 days for $300, is anyone looking for a rental from Kenny?  I have one reserved with him (4 seat) that I'll hold on to for a few days in case any fiends need one, thanks for the lead Jon!  oh yea, my dates are 10/29 - 11/6

Campfire

DSC_2902.jpg

DSC_2903.jpg

DW and DD eating a Mickey Ice Cream Cookie

DSC_2906.jpg

DSC_2909.jpg

DSC_2918.jpg

More of the campsite, you can see it behind the trees

DSC_3037.jpg

DSC_3039.jpg

DSC_3040.jpg

Behind the campsite

DSC_3041.jpg

DSC_3042.jpg

Fruit on the ground.

DSC_3056.jpg

Last bit of construction pictures - You can see they are putting up an erosion barrier

DSC_3051.jpg

DSC_3052.jpg

DSC_3053.jpg

DD Sleeping on GC

DSC_3076.jpg

That is all folks.

I hope you enjoyed it.

Great pictures and report! It is not as easy as one would first think to write a trip report, so thank you for taking the time to let us live vicariously through your family! I loved hearing about your daughter's experiences. She is just too cute! The picture of her asleep on the golf cart is pricesless!

• 2 weeks later...