• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pay just like any other resort guest at Disney World - I shouldn't get sub-standard service just because I'm at The Fort.

When you couple non-existent rules with higher costs for campsites you highlight the double-standard that Disney has for its FW "Guests"......

A great example is the Pool. When we were there during the late stage of the pool construction I asked some CM's why the pool wasn't being expanded when they had the chance?  The answer was telling. They said the only reason the pool was being renovated was to eliminate the deep end for liability reasons. The CM (nameless for obvious reasons) said that the hoopla over a "new pool" was just to cover the fact that the pool needed some serious work done to it and the bean counters would only spend money at the Campground if they removed the deep end while they were at it.

The up side is that we got a new slide, a hot tub (finally), and a new child area.

But the downside?  SAME exact pool size and a too-small Hot Tub.

All that "new" construction and we were still short-changed compared to other resorts....

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :banana:

I pay just like any other resort guest at Disney World - I shouldn't get sub-standard service just because I'm at The Fort.

When you couple non-existent rules with higher costs for campsites you highlight the double-standard that Disney has for its FW "Guests"......

A great example is the Pool. When we were there during the late stage of the pool construction I asked some CM's why the pool wasn't being expanded when they had the chance?  The answer was telling. They said the only reason the pool was being renovated was to eliminate the deep end for liability reasons. The CM (nameless for obvious reasons) said that the hoopla over a "new pool" was just to cover the fact that the pool needed some serious work done to it and the bean counters would only spend money at the Campground if they removed the deep end while they were at it.

The up side is that we got a new slide, a hot tub (finally), and a new child area.

All that "new" construction and we were still short-changed compared to other resorts....

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :banana:

hmm,... good point,...makes sense!

:D :rofl2: :( :( :(

I have to agree that I didn't understand why they did not enlarge the pool and totally re-theme it like what was done at the PR & CR a few years ago.  When the Meadow pool was built you could still swim in the lake - so naturally those guests that wanted a beach experience would go to the lake.  Now that no swimming is allowed in the lake it would have been nice of them to double the size of the pool.

When you stop and think about it, I wonder just how much impact non-guests have on pool usage?  There are something like 800 campsites and 410 cabins.  Do the math.... If the Fort was at full capacity with 10 ppl per site & 6 per cabin, you could have 10460 wanting to use the pool at one time!!! 

Just imagine all the pee in the pool!!!

Jeff Martin appears to be moving on. His official title is Front Office Mgr, but for the Aulani resort. He's still at the Fort though.

When we talked in January he was hoping to eventually be involved with the new "Shanghai Disney" maybe this is his first step towards that goal.

You'll never find me in the FW pool or hot tub.

Hey Bob, forget the FW pool, you're welcome in my pool. Fifteen minutes away and I know there is no pee in it, unless Buddy falls in it,  because we're never in it. Gail just likes to look at it.

You da MAN LOU!

When we talked in January he was hoping to eventually be involved with the new "Shanghai Disney" maybe this is his first step towards that goal.

Let's see, China, Hawaii, sounds like a no brainer to me.

Aulani's first phase is scheduled to open in late August so if Jeff is the Front Office Manager, he should be leaving the Fort soon.

I've heard some not so good things about him, but in my efforts to do what I do on the side, he was most helpful. I couldn't have done it without him. Guess I'll have to find out who his replacement is going to be.

Let's see, China, Hawaii, sounds like a no brainer to me.

Aulani's first phase is scheduled to open in late August so if Jeff is the Front Office Manager, he should be leaving the Fort soon.

I've heard some not so good things about him, but in my efforts to do what I do on the side, he was most helpful. I couldn't have done it without him. Guess I'll have to find out who his replacement is going to be.

He was involved with Hong Kong Disney and really enjoyed it as did his wife that is why he is hoping to do Shainghai.  He  was very helpful and understanding, as well with us, when we had issues with  Sam Gates.

I just want all to know that it was my kids that spotted the AFR & reported it to the then freaked out lifeguards! Yes it was lovely. I don't think I have been back in the pool since.

They did their Doody...ah I mean Duty....... ;D

• 2 weeks later...

I am bumping this for Donnie.  Apparently it was so bad this weekend, he found the new manager and had a lengthy conversation with him about the problem.  Hopefull now that this is back on the front page, we can get this addressed.  From what I heard, it was the worst yesterday it has ever been.

I've seen many posts concerning the 'new' rules against swimming in the lake, but no explaination as to why.

So, why?

The no swimming in the lake rule isn't that new, and one of the many reasons River Country was finally closed.

Read about it here http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/

I thought it was a load of hooey until they started reporting deaths (very rare) in the Kissimmee area.  This isn't going to happen on Disney's watch!

I'm surprised that they still rent watercraft if they don't want guests to come into contact with the Lake water.......

Jen, what happened over Easter weekend? Why was it the worst ever? And will FW actually do anything about it?:banana:

:heart: ??? ??? ??? ???

I'm surprised that they still rent watercraft if they don't want guests to come into contact with the Lake water.......

If I understand correctly, it's not the actual water that's the problem.  The amoebas (or is that amoebi) live in the muck on the lake bottom. People going swimming stir the little buggers out of the muck and into the water.  If you don't put your head underwater, there is no problem.  If you do, you're going to get water up your nose and when that happens, the amoebas (or amoebi) have direct passage to your brain via the nasal cavity. The amoeba dwells in the shallow, warmer water and do not live in water deeper than 4 feet.

The lake water temperature has to be 80 degrees or higher in order for the naegleria to become active - which as we all know - is not uncommon for water temps to get that high in Florida.  This amoeba can also be found in pool water that is under-chlorinated. The infection affects the brain and spinal cord, but thankfully, is rare.  The symptoms mimic encephalitis - and there is no effective cure for it.

What has always puzzled me is the triathlons that are held during the warm months at the Fort.  Part of the event is swimming in Bay Lake. As far as I know, no athlete has ever contracted this from a Disney event.  If you're in a boat or water skiing, you probably aren't going to have any problems if you fall in the water because the water isn't shallow enough and you're too far up from the lake bed.

As far as what went on at the Fort over Easter - I haven't a clue.

Jeff is a good guy and has always done right by me.  If this is what he wants, I wish him nothing but the best.

Debbie ....... I totally agree with you about Jeff Martin!  He sure seems to be a quality person!  I have had the pleasure of talking with Jeff several times over the years and he has always been 'very' helpful!  I remember during one of my conversations with Jeff he shared with me that he was trying to decide which loops would be best for 'Pet Loops' at the Fort and ask me for my opinion.  He was very sincere when he ask me and he sure appeared to be interested in what I shared with him.  I remember thinking after our conversation that I was expressed that someone in his position would try to gather feedback from guests before making his decision about something like that!     

I also wish Jeff the best in what ever he decides to do!   

Jeff is a good guy and has always done right by me.  If this is what he wants, I wish him nothing but the best.

Debbie ....... I totally agree with you about Jeff Martin!  He sure seems to be a quality person!  I have had the pleasure of talking with Jeff several times over the years and he has always been 'very' helpful!  I remember during one of my conversations with Jeff he shared with me that he was trying to decide which loops would be best for 'Pet Loops' at the Fort and ask me for my opinion.  He was very sincere when he ask me and he sure appeared to be interested in what I shared with him.  I remember thinking after our conversation that I was expressed that someone in his position would try to gather feedback from guests before making his decision about something like that!     

I also wish Jeff the best in what ever he decides to do!   

Yes, but did he actually take your advice? Or for that matter, make any changes for the better?  I don't know him and I'm sure he's a great guy, but its one thing to be a good listener, and quite another to be able to act on what you hear.....

??? ??? ??? ??? ???