1 hour ago, Momof6....aka Marty said:

Either in or out of park. She was considering Flying Fish Cafe for the steak. 

Flying Fish is actually closing for refurb Feb 1 through November.  :(

If you want to go all out and get a really great steak, I'd recommend Yachtsman.  I would not recommend Le Cellier.  We've been disappointed in the steak there a couple of times now and the service hasn't been the best either.

For atmosphere and a pretty varied, delicious menu, California Grill (even if you don't eat sushi LOL).  And plus.... fireworks!

I have to say that the meal we ate at Monsieur Paul was fan-flippin-tastic. Best duck I've ever eaten. I may never spring for it again, but it was worth doing once.

We also have had some great meals at The Wave.  We've made whole meals out of just apps (yum-o) and DH had what he declared "the best butternut squash raviolis EVAH" there.  The lamp chops are pretty great too. We also like that we can almost always walk into the bar and get a seat without an ADR. Oh and also, the have a couple of good wines on tap.  ;)

If you want to get a little adventurous and/or like spicy - check out Sanaa at AKL.  We went to Sanaa in November and got the bread service (holy moly) and split a Butter Chicken entree and it was fantastic! Plus it's a good excuse to go out and explore a beautiful resort.

9 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I have to say that the meal we ate at Monsieur Paul was fan-flippin-tastic. Best duck I've ever eaten. I may never spring for it again, but it was worth doing once.

We also have had some great meals at The Wave.  We've made whole meals out of just apps (yum-o) and DH had what he declared "the best butternut squash raviolis EVAH" there.  The lamp chops are pretty great too. We also like that we can almost always walk into the bar and get a seat without an ADR. Oh and also, the have a couple of good wines on tap.  ;)

If you want to get a little adventurous and/or like spicy - check out Sanaa at AKL.  We went to Sanaa in November and got the bread service (holy moly) and split a Butter Chicken entree and it was fantastic! Plus it's a good excuse to go out and explore a beautiful resort.

My wife and daughter had dinner at Monsieur Paul.  It was my wife's first time and she absolutely loved it.  They had a table by the window and a great view of Illuminations.  

You can't go wrong at Sanaa or The Wave.  Captains Grille is good as well and quiet.  

Also can't go wrong at Yachstman's Steakhouse.  We had dinner at Artist Point on my birthday in December and had the Buffalo.  It was very good, but the turnips were a bit strange, and bitter.  The thing to watch out for is the coffee.  They only sell French Press coffee, and it costs over $8.  If you want more than a cup and a half of coffee, then they are supposed to charge another $8.  There is no mention of them not having "normal coffee".  My wife ordered coffee and when the server brought out the french press, my wife asked if this is considered "normal" coffee and she said "unfortunately no, and that is all we serve".  She told us not to worry about any refills and in fact comped us the coffee.  She said that is a real hassle.  Other than that, a great meal, great atmosphere and service. 

Before you get your heart set on any of the places mentioned, do yourself a favor and check out the menus on-line.

That buffalo steak at Artist's Point will set you back $49. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/wilderness-lodge-resort/artist-point/menus/

Add tax and tip to that, and you're talking about $63 for one meal.  If you want something to drink or a dessert, you're going to be walking out of there with a bill for $200 for the two of you.

There are actual 5 star restaurants around me where you can eat for less than that.

None of these WDW places are worth that kind of money. 

TCD

4 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

There are actual 5 star restaurants around me where you can eat for less than that.

None of these WDW places are worth that kind of money. 

TCD

Along those lines... Johnnie's Hideaway at the Crossroads plaza has fantastic steaks as well as great seafood and lots of other stuff, at lower prices than many of the good WDW steak places.  Also fresh rolls, a really good salad, and sides are included in most entrees, unlike many of the upscale WDW restaurants where everything is a la carte.  So while they do have a $39 Porterhouse on the menu, it's 24oz and comes with all the stuff... so very splittable.

Apps are great - you could make a meal of those alone.

They also have terrific Happy Hour specials in the bar daily.  The atmosphere is really nice, and it's a very short drive. We ate there twice in November and will definitely be back.

http://www.johnnieshideaway.com/

When my wife and I went in October sans kids, we ate at both Flying Fish and Cali Grill. Meals were both excellent but as has been said, if you're going to splurge for one expensive meal the CG has the view. Maybe get a spot at the sushi bar, I think you can order off the regular menu there as well no?

Personally I love Artist Point, but you can plan on leaving your wallet there too.

39 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

When my wife and I went in October sans kids, we ate at both Flying Fish and Cali Grill. Meals were both excellent but as has been said, if you're going to splurge for one expensive meal the CG has the view. Maybe get a spot at the sushi bar, I think you can order off the regular menu there as well no?

Yep, you sure can.  You can even order off the full menu if you snag a seat in the lounge.  :)

1 hour ago, shoreline99 said:

Personally I love Artist Point, but you can plan on leaving your wallet there too.

If that's the Flying Fish Café on the Boardwalk, Diskingdom.com just posted that it along with Seashore Sweets is closing 2/1 joining, the Yard Arcade and the ESPN Store which are already closed.  Rumour is the Flying Fish is expanding into all or most of the space and will re-open in November.

Yes, that's the one. I don't think it will go over as far as the arcade and ESPN sports store, but certainly the sweets shop. The interior of Flying Fish, while dynamic and modern, is starting to look a bit dated and rough around the edges. The food, however, was fantastic. So was the service. In the battle of Narcoosee's vs Flying Fish Cafe, FFC was definitely the victor.

When we went to the cali grill we just stayed in the lounge and had some appetizers and drinks. Very nice and great view of the fireworks without having to pile out on the roof with everyone else.

A couple that were waiting for a table actually turned it down when it came open and had a full dinner in the lounge.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 6:19 PM, Momof6....aka Marty said:

Sarah wants "dern good eats" for our next trip to WDW.

So, what are your suggestions?

(If it is a seafood place, has to have one really good non-seafood meal. Sarah loves seafood but I am sadly allergic.)

Marty, I'm one of the cheap people when it comes to eating out so we seldom eat at WDW.  However if you want a good steak I recommend Outback.  You probably have them in your area too so might not be special enough.  There are two close to property, one near where Dolly Pardon's thing was and another out the back gate for AK.  As for how you would get there, I can drive!!

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:43 PM, Travisma said:

If that's the Flying Fish Café on the Boardwalk, Diskingdom.com just posted that it along with Seashore Sweets is closing 2/1 joining, the Yard Arcade and the ESPN Store which are already closed.  Rumour is the Flying Fish is expanding into all or most of the space and will re-open in November.

My wife and daughter are over there now to get their last ice cream from Seashore Sweets.  My daughter was there yesterday and the cast members told her today is their last day.  They also heard that Flying Fish would be taking over the space.  The candy will be moved elsewhere, but they didn't know if the ice cream would be moved anywhere else.  That makes the Boardwalk pretty much nothing but restaurants and one store and a bakery.  For something modeled after the Atlantic City Boardwalk, that certainly doesn't match anymore. As a kid, I'd always go to Atlantic City, or Ocean City and walk the boardwalk stopping at the MANY small ice cream, candy, and fast food establishments.  

EDIT:  My wife asked the cast member if there are any thoughts on if Seashore Sweets would reopen somewhere else at the Boardwalk.  he said the rumor is they will be taking the spot opened at the ESPN store and arcade; but they've heard nothing definite.  As far as them personally, they will be working other merchandise roles at the Boardwalk (the General Store).

• 2 weeks later...

We are at the Fort right now and I must say my absolute favorite so far has been lunch at The Boathouse at Disney Springs. It is not cheap but I had Carpaccio with argulua, olive oil, shaved cheese and fried capers that I am still crying over it was so good!  

There are a lot of seafood options as well as steaks and chops. The hubster had filet mignon sliders and loved those as well. As we were leaving I could smell truffle fries! I will be back for truffle fries!   My SIL went over for lunch one day and had shrimp and andouille mac and cheese , he wants to go back too!

OT- is there anywhere close to the Fort to get a manicure polish change? 

1 hour ago, acornlover said:

We are at the Fort right now and I must say my absolute favorite so far has been lunch at The Boathouse at Disney Springs. It is not cheap but I had Carpaccio with argulua, olive oil, shaved cheese and fried capers that I am still crying over it was so good! 

Really good to hear - thanks!!  I love a good carpaccio.  We spent some time at the Boathouse bar in November (which was great)  but didn't eat anything.  LOL

Not super close on Disney transport (although a quick drive), but you can get a manicure at the Grand Floridian spa.  And bonus - you get to use all the facilities just like it you were there for any other spa treatment.  The day we went in November there was a woman there who came early for her appointment just so she could hang out and relax.  And FWIW the pedicure I got there was the best one I've ever had.  My toes looked great for ages! :)

I agree, if you are going for "special," then do California grill. I would definitely plan on sharing. Chris, Edward and I went for our thanksgiving dinner. We each had one drink, app, entree and dessert. It was over 300 without tip.

Over in the doctor Phillips area there are a bunch of cool, trendy places. They see not cheap either, but it has been fun trying some of them out. It's not too far from the fort either.

Most important, wherever y'all choose, I want to go too!