Greetings,

I am thinking about heading to WDW solo for DestinationD. I've been tossing the idea of camping around in my head. The campground is convenient to the Contemporary, where the events take place, and a tent site is very low cost. I booked 7 nights for 500 bucks.

We have good technical gear, so I could check a second bag on the plane with our footprint, tent, the attachable garage, cot, pad, hammock, a chair, and sleeping bag and still have weight to spare. What is anyone's opinion, is this do-able? I am pretty sure I can set up the tent alone...an REI Hobitat. I could uber and get a disposable cooler and snacks, but would probably eat meals out. Can't think of much else I'd need. Maybe an extension cord for my device....

I have two sleeping bags. A backcountry blanket, rated to 15 degrees, and a therm-a-rest down quilt, rated to 40, I think. What are nights like in November? I would not have a screen house, how are bugs in November?

We had such a good time camping in the rental pop-up last October. I would just love to camp out again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Because you're an adult with no children on the trip, I think you'll be fine (of course...that's just my opinion as I know lots of families with babies and kiddos camp ?) Your gear sounds sufficient.  I don't find the bugs terrible in November...the challenge we usually have is weather as it can either be hot or cold that time of the year...so you have to pack for both.  Be prepared for rain.  The nights will probably be cool.

Disney's bus can bring you to The Fort and you can use Disney transportation on-property; Uber or regular taxi off.

Have fun!!

In early October a couple of years ago we camped next to a couple that had a small 2 person tent and not much else.  Weather was mild at that time.

This past November was very warm, I think we had the A/C on at the house for Thanksgiving and we are in Tampa.

At the worst, probably mid 40s at night.

If you are flying in, Disney has a shuttle from the airport, just have to book ahead of time.

Also Publix grocery is delivering food via a company called shipt. They could probably do the foam ice chest also.

Oh, thanks for the info about Publix delivery! That was not available last time we went. If I do this, I think I will fly in the day before I want to camp and stay at a value or wherever D23 has negotiated a group rate, then Uber to Fort Wilderness in the AM. It's a long travel day from the west coast and one can never be sure how quickly DME will deliver your luggage. I do not want to wind up in a predicament that has me pitching camp at 9pm LOL

Also, is there anyplace at either trading post to secure valuables?

16 minutes ago, Travisma said:

In early October a couple of years ago we camped next to a couple that had a small 2 person tent and not much else.  Weather was mild at that time.

This past November was very warm, I think we had the A/C on at the house for Thanksgiving and we are in Tampa.

At the worst, probably mid 40s at night.

If you are flying in, Disney has a shuttle from the airport, just have to book ahead of time.

Also Publix grocery is delivering food via a company called shipt. They could probably do the foam ice chest also.

Yes, this past November was warm.  Which reminds me...we had a really big problem with bees this past fall.  We got to The Fort a couple of days before halloween and left mid-November; bees were a pest the entire time.  I think it was due to the fact that it was so warm....the pesky things were a bit confused :rolleyes: 

They were gone (with the cooler temps) over Christmas.

I've flown and camped a few times. Yes, it's very doable! There is a plastic trunk at Wal-Mart in the automotive department that is airline legal size and will fit quite a bit, AND has a locking clasp.

The front desk has secure lockers for valuables.

I just left most valuables except those that I would have on my person for those type trips at home.

Even if you use DME, you can choose NOT to use the luggage tags and collect your baggage at the luggage carousel and take the bags on the bus with you.

Good point about fetching my own luggage. I will consider that option. I can fit all my gear into my Eagle Creek duffel. ;) Pretty much my only valuable will be my tablet. I do not want to carry it around all day.

The more I lay here and daydream, the more convinced I am that this trip will happen and will be super swell! We start our camping season next month. I will practice setting up and taking down our tent solo.

21 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I've flown and camped a few times. Yes, it's very doable! There is a plastic trunk at Wal-Mart in the automotive department that is airline legal size and will fit quite a bit, AND has a locking clasp.

The front desk has secure lockers for valuables.

I just left most valuables except those that I would have on my person for those type trips at home.

Even if you use DME, you can choose NOT to use the luggage tags and collect your baggage at the luggage carousel and take the bags on the bus with you.

Good tip on the lockers Carol...I didn't know that they had those!  On the plastic trunk at Walmart, could someone lock the truck and then secure that trunk to the BBQ grill?  Or would it be super easy for someone to bust into?

Sounds fun and doable to me!!

We've gone Oct/Nov the last bunch of years and it's hit or miss temperature-wise.  Last year was hot (highs in the 80s) the year before was cold (lows in the 40s). On the plus side it's *usually* not rainy... although 2 years ago on the days that weren't cold, it was rainy, so go figure.

Bugs typically aren't bad at all - you might see a few mosquitos around dusk.  I think they were a little worse last Nov than usual, but that may have had something to do with it being hotter than usual too.

27 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Good tip on the lockers Carol...I didn't know that they had those!  On the plastic trunk at Walmart, could someone lock the truck and then secure that trunk to the BBQ grill?  Or would it be super easy for someone to bust into?

The one trip I brought the laptop, I locked it into the plastic trunk, then locked the trunk to a tree with a cable. (I had an opening in the back of the tent where I could run the cable without much notice. The grill would be too easy to pull from the ground.

Walmart and home depot have the small O2 Cool brand fans that are battery operated. We have a couple of the 5 in fans and they circulate a good amount of air and we have had the batteries last up to a week (when we remember to turn them off when not using. I take them anytime I'm traveling.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oh, thanks for the info about Publix delivery! That was not available last time we went. If I do this, I think I will fly in the day before I want to camp and stay at a value or wherever D23 has negotiated a group rate, then Uber to Fort Wilderness in the AM. It's a long travel day from the west coast and one can never be sure how quickly DME will deliver your luggage. I do not want to wind up in a predicament that has me pitching camp at 9pm LOL

Also, is there anyplace at either trading post to secure valuables?

If you are staying on property for the first night and then switching to another onsite resort won't they move your items for you?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes, they will. But they won't guarantee what time your luggage will arrive at your next resort. Last time we used the transfer service, our luggage wasn't delivered to our next resort until nearly 4pm. That's fine when it's just your clothes and stuff, but I do not want to be pitching camp late afternoon. I want to get to Fort Wilderness at earliest check-in, set up my tent and stuff, and move on with the day. :) That's worth a 10 to 15 dollar uber ride to me.

I thought of another question. I want to try and request the 1500 loop (hopefully I can still do that in online check-in, because I could not make that request at booking), but if I end up in 2000, is there any walking shortcut to the meadows? Thanks!

PS Will I actually need a fan in November? I spent 2012-2014 in Peace Corps SA (think 115 daytime summer temps) so I am thinking November Orlando temps will be tolerable...but I am willing to be convinced otherwise. I definitely won't need a heater, I have good technical gear.

I really appreciate all the feedback!

If you go to the back side of the loop, you can cut into the group camping area, then there is a walkway and a small bridge into the 900 loop which is directly across from the meadow trading post.  Look at the maps that are posted on this site and you will see the path I'm talking about.

Temps can change quickly.  Two Halloweens ago on Halloween night we were sweating walking the granddaughters around.  A cold front came through, and by morning it was in the low 40s with a brisk wind.  It didn't warm up until late morning.  Last Halloween, it was in the high 70s/low 80s for the entire weekend.

We once planned to tent camp at the Fort in November.  Down and back for a quick trip, so David didn't want to tow the TT.

We got there, pitched our tent, and went off to the MK.  When it got unbearably cold we went back to the Fort and quickly decided to sleep in the Suburban instead of the tent. The next morning it was down to about 30 degrees.  We ran the hair dryer to keep the inside of the Suburban tolerable.

I've never considered tent camping again, but I hope you have a great trip.

13 hours ago, libbylovespluto said:

PS Will I actually need a fan in November? I spent 2012-2014 in Peace Corps SA (think 115 daytime summer temps) so I am thinking November Orlando temps will be tolerable...but I am willing to be convinced otherwise. I definitely won't need a heater, I have good technical gear.

12 hours ago, Travisma said:

Temps can change quickly.  Two Halloweens ago on Halloween night we were sweating walking the granddaughters around.  A cold front came through, and by morning it was in the low 40s with a brisk wind.  It didn't warm up until late morning.  Last Halloween, it was in the high 70s/low 80s for the entire weekend.

We were there end of Oct-early Nov this past year and ran the a/c the entire 3 weeks and put a fan *outside* so we could sit out, as there was zero breeze. Granted we're from NH and melt easily, but the day we went to Animal Kingdom (first week of Nov) it was 90+.  

That said, the previous year we were there 3 weeks around Thanksgiving and froze our patooties off (and again, we're from NH). 

Even if it's cold, a small fan to run during the day with the windows open in the tent to clear out the moisture.

Florida camping is HUMID, whether it be cold or hot, and you need to do every thing you can to keep things dry.

We are huge humidity makers just by breathing inside a tent.

1 hour ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Even if it's cold, a small fan to run during the day with the windows open in the tent to clear out the moisture.

Florida camping is HUMID, whether it be cold or hot, and you need to do every thing you can to keep things dry.

We are huge humidity makers just by breathing inside a tent.

But it's so much fun waking up cold, damp and clammy because you slept with all the windows closed!

31 minutes ago, Travisma said:

But it's so much fun waking up cold, damp and clammy because you slept with all the windows closed!

Absolutely! No matter how cold, open a tent window!!!

Also taking a shower before bed and putting on fresh dry pajamas helps with the cold too.