New Night Kilimanjaro Safari - Animal Kingdom

NEW Kilmanjaro Safaris Nighttime Safari Ride at Animal Kingdom - Preview

Published on Apr 20, 2016

Each evening, the popular Kilimanjaro Safaris daytime experience is artfully bathed in the glow of sunset with special lighting allowing guests to explore this attraction well into the night. During the expedition, guests can now encounter the nighttime behavior of the wildlife and better tune in to the unique

• 1 month later...

Now this is an "extra" I might actually spring for!

Savor the Savanna: Evening Safari Experience tour now available at Disney's Animal Kingdom

2 hours ago

Disney has launched a new premium tour experience at Disney's Animal Kingdom, taking advantage of the new late hours at the park.

The private safari vehicles takes you into the Harambe Wildlife Reserve using the new after-dark operation of Kilimanjaro Safaris.

Tour groups are limited to just 12 guests, and like the daytime Wild Africa Trek, the 2 hour safari includes a stop at the private viewing area, and also includes food and drink.

The menu includes African-inspired tapas, paired with an all-inclusive selection of regional beer and wine offerings.

Also included is complimentary photo services with digital download, along with a commemorative keepsake.

Tours are offered daily beginning June 26 at 4:30pm, 5:30pm, 6:30pm and 7:30pm.

The cost is $169 + tax, with a minimum age of 8. Park admission is required and is not included. Reservations can be made via (407) 939-8687.

Article Posted: Jun 03, 2016 / 2:24pm EDT

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/savor-the-savanna-evening-safari-experience/news/03jun2016-savor-the-savanna-evening-safari-experience-tour-now-available-at-disneys-animal-kingdom.htm

I want to do that!   WWW would be a fun time! 

Bill and I went to AK last night and rode the safari.  The driver asked if anyone had ridden it at night before, we were a whole truck load of newbies :lol:

There were several other trucks ahead of us and all going slowly.  The driver was good at pointing out animals he could see.  I won't spoil the ride for you by telling all that we saw, but one thing was the high light of our trip.  We had to wait about 5 minutes for a white rhinoceros to decide to move out of the road.  Our driver must have hit a HELP button and soon a jeep or pick up truck showed up from a side road.  It came close to the road and then backed up.  The rhinoceros walked across the road towards the pick up and soon her baby followed too.  Our driver explained, they use bribery aka food/treats, to lure the animals out of danger and our way.  Then we saw the silhouette of  the male lion walking around his area. 

Just like day light tours, every ride will be different.  We liked it.

I'm looking forward to doing the safari at night, and I may need to save up for this special one.

We've gotten held up by the rhinos before too. When they don't want to move, they REALLY don't want to move! However I do have them to thank for managing to snag some great pics of the lions once.  :)

Nacole, yes AK is open till 11pm now.  No extra charge.  The Safari Ride runs and the Tree of Life has neat things happening on and in it.  The special light show is still delayed, latest we were told by a cast member is the Wi-Fi used to connect the boats took too much band width.  He said it is hoped to be running by September.  There are other shows happening also.  We didn't go to them.  I want to see the tigers next time.

When AK opened nothing was done at night because of disturbing the animals.  On the Safari they have been 'conditioning' them to be use to the trucks and noise.  Also, I don't think all the animals were out on the Safari.  The lighting is pretty interesting, sort of twilight , except for the African sunset, which is beautiful.

16 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Nacole, yes AK is open till 11pm now.  No extra charge.  The Safari Ride runs and the Tree of Life has neat things happening on and in it.  The special light show is still delayed, latest we were told by a cast member is the Wi-Fi used to connect the boats took too much band width.  He said it is hoped to be running by September.  There are other shows happening also.  We didn't go to them.  I want to see the tigers next time.

When AK opened nothing was done at night because of disturbing the animals.  On the Safari they have been 'conditioning' them to be use to the trucks and noise.  Also, I don't think all the animals were out on the Safari.  The lighting is pretty interesting, sort of twilight , except for the African sunset, which is beautiful.

Okay... good to know, thanks!!  :) 

On 6/3/2016 at 5:58 PM, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I'm looking forward to doing the safari at night, and I may need to save up for this special one.

We've gotten held up by the rhinos before too. When they don't want to move, they REALLY don't want to move! However I do have them to thank for managing to snag some great pics of the lions once.  :)

Found them...

10455998_10208443911002497_7175474609860

12190961_10208443910522485_7159013336482

4 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Of all the times we've ridden, this is the first time I've ever seen the pair together like this and actually awake.  Definitely a lucky shot (again, thanks to the rhinos LOL)

And they hang out up there because they have cool are blowing out of hidden vents in the surrounding rocks.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

And they hang out up there because they have cool are blowing out of hidden vents in the surrounding rocks.

And when you catch them (particularly the male) pacing at the back, it's because that's where the chute is down to the kennel where they get fed. Dinner time!  :)

We got to ride the night safari a few days ago. I really liked it. It seemed longer (or maybe it was because they did drive a LOT slower) and it seemed like we went on a different path a few times. Might not have been - it is so easy to get turned around in the dark. There were a few theatrical parts but, for the most part, it was a lot more genuine ride/look at the animals. We did get very good looks at some animals though I don't think they have nearly as many out as in the daytime.  It is definitely worth your time. By the way, the only Fastpasses we could get were for 9:45.  I hear that if you can ride it nearer dusk you will likely see more animals either because of the light or those that haven't gone in for the night. 

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 5:42 PM, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Just like day light tours, every ride will be different.  We liked it.

55 minutes ago, DramaMama .......... Janet said:

We got to ride the night safari a few days ago. I really liked it.

It's good to hear that some Fiends like the night Safari.

So far, I've only been once, and it was on the opening weekend, on a night where almost everything else in the park was closed because of weather (Sunday May 29th).  I was surprised to hear that the safari was still operating when they closed Expedition Everest and cancelled the first Jungle Book show because of lightning.  Aren't you supposed to stay out of open areas during a lightning threat?  I was really surprised that they would have animals out in that weather, and it seems to be contrary to everything that Animal Kingdom supposedly stands for.

Anyway, my first experience on the night safari was a dud.  We saw almost no animals, and it was too dark to really see anything more than the silhouettes of the animals that we did see.  The sound effects they added were very fake sounding and unintentionally comical.  And, ever since they removed the original poaching Big Red/Little Red story from this ride, the truck drivers have suffered from the lack of clear direction as to what their role is supposed to be.  Our driver apparently thought she was the hype man for a comedy club, and spent the ride trying to elicit cheers and comments from the guests on the truck.  To me, that was the opposite of what this experience should be.  I think it should be more of an effort to mimic what an actual night safari ride might be like in Africa with quiet speech and a respectful attitude toward the animals.

Another problem with our particular ride is that we were out in the savannah when the Star Wars fireworks were being shot off at Hollywood Studios.  While some would think it was cool to see the fireworks from the safari area, it completely broke the intended illusion that we were supposed to be on a night safari in an African game preserve.

As Gretchen said, it has always been the case that every ride on the safari is different.  I will try it again and hope for a better experience, but they still need to do something about the poor lighting, lack of animals, castmember scripts, fake sounding sound effects and fireworks.  That's a lot to work on, and I don't think it can all be fixed.

TCD

2 hours ago, DramaMama .......... Janet said:

We got to ride the night safari a few days ago. I really liked it. It seemed longer (or maybe it was because they did drive a LOT slower) and it seemed like we went on a different path a few times. Might not have been - it is so easy to get turned around in the dark. There were a few theatrical parts but, for the most part, it was a lot more genuine ride/look at the animals. We did get very good looks at some animals though I don't think they have nearly as many out as in the daytime.  It is definitely worth your time. By the way, the only Fastpasses we could get were for 9:45.  I hear that if you can ride it nearer dusk you will likely see more animals either because of the light or those that haven't gone in for the night. 

53 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

...my first experience on the night safari was a dud.  We saw almost no animals, and it was too dark to really see anything more than the silhouettes of the animals that we did see.  The sound effects they added were very fake sounding and unintentionally comical.  And, ever since they removed the original poaching Big Red/Little Red story from this ride, the truck drivers have suffered from the lack of clear direction as to what their role is supposed to be.  Our driver apparently thought she was the hype man for a comedy club, and spent the ride trying to elicit cheers and comments from the guests on the truck.  To me, that was the opposite of what this experience should be.  I think it should be more of an effort to mimic what an actual night safari ride might be like in Africa with quiet speech and a respectful attitude toward the animals.

Another problem with our particular ride is that we were out in the savannah when the Star Wars fireworks were being shot off at Hollywood Studios.  While some would think it was cool to see the fireworks from the safari area, it completely broke the intended illusion that we were supposed to be on a night safari in an African game preserve.

I appreciate hearing both your experiences.  I agree that seeing the fireworks while "on safari" would be odd.