More Smoking Locations Being Eliminated

According to WDW Magic, if you are a smoker, you may have to hoof it a little longer now to relax.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/news/17jun2016-magic-kingdom-eliminates-more-smoking-locations.htm

More smoking locations eliminated at the Magic Kingdom

2 hours ago in "Magic Kingdom"

The Magic Kingdom has updated the guest smoking locations, continuing to reduce areas of the park where smoking is permitted.

Two locations have been removed, the first near the entrance to Adventureland, and the second in Tomorrowland near Space Mountain.

Today's changes leaves just two smoking areas inside the park, one in Storybook Circus along the path to Tomorrowland, and the second in Frontierland across from Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

One additional smoking area has been made available, outside the park near to the Ferryboat queue.

Here is a look at the new guide map with the updated smoking locations.

I personally think it's great. I can't stand walking through smoke. The one by Adventure land was always awful and we started planning our way around it so we didn't have to walk through with the kids. That is the only one that sticks out in my mind that was unpleasant for non smokers.

Two parks up here (sesame place and storybook land) are completely smoke free.

I have dear friends who smoke. Before I had Z, I occasionally smoked. But this news doesn't upset me.

At Z's age (7), I had no grandparents. None. All dead. In fact, 3 died before I was ever born. My parents weren't old when they had me. They were in their 20s. Three out of four of my grandparents died from smoking. I will never ever, ever forget the feeling of not having grandparents. Of feeling left out. Any time they had a grandparent day at school, I had no one to come. I have 1 memory of my mom's dad. I was the only one of my cousins to ever meet him.

I feel blessed every single day that Z has grandparents.

I know this might not be popular among fiends, and you know I love you guys, but I think this is a good move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sitting here right now just really upset about this. I try to be a courteous smoker. They used to have smoking areas tucked around out of the way areas, but scattered around. Then they moved them into places right where people walk and usually in direct sun. Think about the one on echo lake. I'm sure that generated more complaints from non smokers. So now I can walk 50 miles to smoke at the furtherest places in the park or I can stay home. We are planning to attend the special kiss goodnight tomorrow night. I didn't plan on having to trek all over the park. We have adrs at CG. We spend a lot of money and time at the parks. I feel sad because I know they could care less that I don't even want to go anymore. Smokers love disney too or at least I did. Kelly, I understand that you wish people didn't smoke, but no snoking at the parks isn't going to get people to stop, it's going to keep them from going to the parks with their loved ones. I'm sorry for the long vent. I guess I'm losing my magic. :(

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I can't imagine they would ever go smoke free. They just seem to have really poor choice in where they put them. 

The smoking sections are kind of like the one baby care center, it's great they offer it but if I'm not right there I don't want to trek all over the park to get to it. 

Rita I would email them and let them know that you are unhappy (and maybe suggest some location that's out of the main walking path that they didn't consider?). I don't think it will change anything but at least you tried. 

I think it is a good idea, do I agree with it, don't really know but I hate the smell of smoke and kids should not be around smokers, it sets  a bad example for them. On the same line Disney has installed metal detectors to get in, I always have a pocket knife in my pocket (doesn't everybody). If I have my pants on, my knife is in my pocket, have carried one for over 60 years, does this mean I should not visit WDW anymore because I can't take my knife. There is not a rule that everyone agrees with. 

Our first trip to the fort was in a cabin. This was after they did away with smoking on balconies or anywhere outside because you could smoke on the deck outside. I smoke but, would prefer to smoke outside. I thought it was a silver lining in the black cloud that we found the fort.

I can't imagine they would ever go smoke free. They just seem to have really poor choice in where they put them. 

The smoking sections are kind of like the one baby care center, it's great they offer it but if I'm not right there I don't want to trek all over the park to get to it. 

Rita I would email them and let them know that you are unhappy (and maybe suggest some location that's out of the main walking path that they didn't consider?). I don't think it will change anything but at least you tried. 

This is a map from ten years ago. The train the smoke is so based at the smoking area going in to Adventureland nite is because EVERY smoker is there instead of spread out.32091106b69dc6354fb62f0cc4951fb6.jpg

I think it is a good idea, do I agree with it, don't really know but I hate the smell of smoke and kids should not be around smokers, it sets  a bad example for them. On the same line Disney has installed metal detectors to get in, I always have a pocket knife in my pocket (doesn't everybody). If I have my pants on, my knife is in my pocket, have carried one for over 60 years, does this mean I should not visit WDW anymore because I can't take my knife. There is not a rule that everyone agrees with. 

Seriously? A pocket knife and smoking don't even begin to compare. I guess it's OK for kids to be around folks guzzling their booze or stuffing their fat faces with ice cream or folks barely dressed or people cutting in lines? Bad examples are all around the parks.

As a non- smoker I disagree with how Disney is handling this.  I don't like the smell of smoke and I don't like walking through the smoking areas.   But I know that smokers come to wdw and they should be accomadated    

And who are we to say what a grown person should or shouldn't do?  We all know that smoking is bad for you but so are lots of other things people do.   One of my biggest complaints at wdw and other public venues is people who use vulgar language  especially around my young daughter.   Should you ban those people from the parks also?   No.   I'm sure we all have a habit that would offend someone else.  

I do think Disney could find better areas for smokers to go that won't be in direct sight or smell of non-smoking guests.  

Agreed that cutting back is not the answer. Providing more areas in more secluded areas is the answer. That's the way it was when they first started. Most of the smoking areas now (what little are left) make absolutely no sense.

According to the CDC, the percentage of adults who smoke in the US in 2014 was 16.8%.  I couldn't find any final numbers from the CDC for 2015.

Many, many households have just one smoker -- like me and David.  He quit, and I didn't.  I know very few couples that both smoke.  So I'm guessing that the percentage of households that include a smoker is at a bare minimum 20% and more likely much higher.

That's an awfully large percentage of the US for Disney to alienate.

2 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

According to the CDC, the percentage of adults who smoke in the US in 2014 was 16.8%.  I couldn't find any final numbers from the CDC for 2015.

Many, many households have just one smoker -- like me and David.  He quit, and I didn't.  I know very few couples that both smoke.  So I'm guessing that the percentage of households that include a smoker is at a bare minimum 20% and more likely much higher.

That's an awfully large percentage of the US for Disney to alienate.

However, Gwen, I hate to say it, of that 16.8% of smokers, there are many of them that are in lower income brackets. I know many, many people that can barely afford to eat, but still buy cigarettes. I'm seeing fewer and fewer folks in moderate to upper income brackets that still smoke. So honestly, it's probably a smaller percentage of smokers that will be going to WDW. It is what it is. It is Disney's property and a public space.

We don't smoke, nor do currently any of our immediate family members. Some family members can't be around cigarette smoke for health reasons.  Being around it makes my head hurt and my throat feel like it is closing in.  That being said, I understand that it is some peoples' choice and those that do want to quit can have a very hard time doing so.  Banning it from restaurants and stores is fine with me - close quarters and hard to get away from.  In those instances, smoking patrons will not be there that long and can step outside to smoke it they choose.  At Disney, however, that is a full day's commitment for most people.  There needs to be several areas for smokers to use, but I would like to see them located in areas off by themselves - NOT pathways.  That way the smoke/smell does not bother others. They have some privacy as well.   

However, Gwen, I hate to say it, of that 16.8% of smokers, there are many of them that are in lower income brackets. I know many, many people that can barely afford to eat, but still buy cigarettes. I'm seeing fewer and fewer folks in moderate to upper income brackets that still smoke. So honestly, it's probably a smaller percentage of smokers that will be going to WDW. It is what it is. It is Disney's property and a public space.

Plus about 50% of the people at Disney are kids.

Based on my friends and people I know, I do think the number of American smokers is down. It used to be that probably 75% of my friends smoked (college years). Now I'd say less than 10%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I think smoking is a far greater risk to Amercans health than so called assault weapons, and you can bet if the US government wasn't making a fortune on cigarette tax they would be actively trying to ban them, too.  I spent 8 years working the hospice ward at a VA medical center and if you want to see the devastation smoking can have on a human body, go visit one for a while.  The connection between smoking and heart disease, cancer, COPD is hard science, not the junk science like eggs and cholesterol was or global warming, but yet what gets the publicity?  The governments answer is to raise cigarette tax periodically and try to pass off this money making move as a concern for public health.   As a society, we'd rather spend billions of health care dollars on treating the effects of smoking than prevent the problem in the first place by banning the practice.   

On 6/18/2016 at 11:19 PM, PureTcrazy...rita said:

I am sitting here right now just really upset about this. I try to be a courteous smoker. They used to have smoking areas tucked around out of the way areas, but scattered around. Then they moved them into places right where people walk and usually in direct sun. Think about the one on echo lake. I'm sure that generated more complaints from non smokers. So now I can walk 50 miles to smoke at the furtherest places in the park or I can stay home. We are planning to attend the special kiss goodnight tomorrow night. I didn't plan on having to trek all over the park. We have adrs at CG. We spend a lot of money and time at the parks. I feel sad because I know they could care less that I don't even want to go anymore. Smokers love disney too or at least I did. Kelly, I understand that you wish people didn't smoke, but no snoking at the parks isn't going to get people to stop, it's going to keep them from going to the parks with their loved ones. I'm sorry for the long vent. I guess I'm losing my magic. :(

You were the first person I thought of when I saw this and I posted it so you could see it.  I didn't want to upset you but thought you needed to see it right away.