FAA approved Disney's request for Drones

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't be fooled.  This is just one more way Disney has to spy on me.

If you want the Elite viewing area complete with a shotgun to shoot down as many drones as you can during the show, it can be booked for the low low cost of $1500 per person, and you get a complimenta

Thanks to wdwmagic.com for this article.  Looks like Disney's patent for their shows is going forward. http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/epcot/news/04nov2016-disney-gets-faa-approval-for-drone-

Last night apparently was a preview performance of the Disney Springs drone show for media.  The Tampa Bay Times had an article about the drones and Disney Springs in today's paper:

ORLANDO — Three hundred drones took to the skies of Walt Disney World's shopping district on Wednesday in what organizers said was the first show-drone performance of this scale in the United States.

The theme park debuted "Starbright Holidays," a choreographed nighttime lit drone performance for members of the news media. Soon — though Disney hasn't set a date yet — the shows will debut to the public and run nightly through the holidays.

Disney World secured permission from the Federal Aviation Administration earlier this month to use drones on its properties. The Mouse House wasted no time in showing off its drone skills.

The brightly lit drones flew in formation over a restricted area of the park, in view of Disney Springs, the shopping and entertainment zone formerly known as Downtown Disney.

Technology giant Intel said it was the first public performance in the United States of 300 of the company's Shooting Star drones, used in a choreographed aerial performance set to holiday music.

The drones dance in formation, creating what appears to be a floating, rotating Christmas tree. A lone licensed drone pilot used a computer to control the drones, which Disney called "Flixels" in its FAA application.

Since access to Disney Springs is free, guests won't need a theme park ticket to see the show. The shopping area with free parking and celebrity chef restaurants has doubled in size since its renovation over the past three years.

There is now a faux bubbling spring modeled on the freshwater springs found in Old Florida backwater towns. But this one is next to dozens of new designer stores and restaurants.

Using the sky as the stage for an aerial ballet, the "Starbright Holidays" show ultimately will run nightly through Jan. 8.

The drones have plastic foam bodies and weigh about 10 ounces, about the same as an ultralight running shoe.

There should be no fear over drones falling out of the sky in the busy theme park, said professor Matt Waite, who founded the Drone Journalism Lab at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln.

"They are going to be flying them over the water and they will almost certainly have some kind of geo-fence built into the software," Waite said, describing it as similar to an invisible dog fence that won't let the drones operate beyond a certain point.

And even in the unlikely event a 10-ounce drone falls 150 feet from the sky, "It may not feel great," Waite said, "but it's not going to injure you very much."

Now that its multiyear makeover is complete, Disney Springs is unwrapping its first full-on holiday lineup of festivities.

There will be live entertainment nightly in each of the "neighborhoods" that grew up around the fictional springs. The architecture is inspired by the look of towns such as Coral Gables and St. Augustine.

Some of the holiday attractions include:

• Stitch's Holiday Gift scavenger hunt in search of a unique Stitch icon at each participating location.

• The Festival of Toys with a nightly tree-lighting ceremony, holiday dance party and pin trading.

• Christmas Tree Trail, a selfie-ready walk among 15 custom decorated holiday trees, each dedicated to a popular Disney theme. Custom music and a light snowfall completes the Christmas scene.

http://www.tampabay.com/things-to-do/travel/florida/disney-springs-shopping-area-will-have-hundreds-of-lighted-drones-in-free/2303159

TCD

The Disney Parks Blog posted an article and video about the Drone show, and revealed the official name: “Starbright Holidays – An Intel Collaboration."  Kind of catchy, isn't it?

It’s a first not just for Disney Parks, but in the United States: A new holiday experience at Disney Springs featuring 300 show drones illuminating the night sky. In “Starbright Holidays – An Intel Collaboration,” guests will get a chance to watch Disney and Intel explore remarkable new technology.

Accompanied by an original Disney arrangement of classic holiday songs recorded by a full orchestra, the sparkling experience invites guests to look up to sky and wish upon a holiday star. This is the first time a drone show of this scale has ever been performed in the U.S.

Here’s a brief sample of what will surprise and delight you this holiday season above the West Side of the Disney Springs waterfront:

“Starbright Holidays – An Intel Collaboration” will join other new holiday experiences at Disney Springs, including a brand-new Christmas Tree Trail, special seasonal entertainment, meet and greets with Santa, and festive décor.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/11/hundreds-of-show-drones-light-up-the-skies-during-the-holidays-at-disney-springs-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

But still no official announcement on the start/stop dates.

TCD

1 minute ago, djsamuel said:

There is a video of the full show on the Disney Updates Facebook page.  It lasted about 3.5 minutes, but looked good.

I wonder how long the actual show will be?

I think this is going to draw crowds to Disney Springs.

Brilliant on Disney's part.  I wonder what kind of deal they struck with Intel?  I'll bet Intel is paying for most or all of it.

TCD

4 hours ago, djsamuel said:

Hmm.

That article says the show is only 4 minutes long.

That can't be right, can it?

I can see the preview only lasting 4 minutes.  The Tampa Bay Times article mentioned only the Christmas tree, but the video I posted earlier in this thread showed a dove, snowflake, and other shapes.  They can't do all of that in 4 minutes.  Maybe they're going to do several 4 minutes shows each night?

TCD

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Hmm.

That article says the show is only 4 minutes long.

That can't be right, can it?

I can see the preview only lasting 4 minutes.  But the Tampa Bay Times article mentioned only the Christmas tree, but the video I posted earlier in this thread showed a dove, snowflake, and other shapes.  They can't do all of that in 4 minutes.  Maybe they're going to do several 4 minutes shows each night?

TCD

I think that is the length.  I am hoping (and assuming) they'll show it more than once a night.  I guess they keep it short so people keep shopping.

Am I the only one who though that was incredibly lame?  

I will probably be proven wrong, but I don't think drones are the future of Disney nighttime entertainment.  At least I hope they aren't.  Although, the conspiracy theorist in me now understands why they've placed Starbucks in all the parks.  The Guests will need the caffeine to stay awake at night, if this is all they have to look forward to.  

Meanwhile, let me know if they come out with something worth watching.  If that happens, you can find me at Dollywood.  

I agree, DIT, that was pretty lame. It was honestly tough to make out what I was supposed to be seeing, except for the tree, some snowflakes and a dove or angel. And a breezy night would cancel the show. If this is what was supposed to be the tech for the rivers of light show, color me unimpressed at the moment.

Even though we're going back in a few months, I have some serious concerns about evening entertainment without a parade lined up after the holidays and the like. And the park hours in February don't go past 8 or nine most of the nights we will be there, although that will likely change a bit before then.

I want to see them in person before I decide whether or not they're lame.

I do agree that these should not be used in place of fireworks, but I think they could be used in some nighttime shows.

What I'd really like to see is them in the daylight- I'd like to see how they take off and land, and how they're controlled.  That's more interesting to me than the show.

TCD

Just now, Tri-Circle-D said:

I want to see them in person before I decide whether or not they're lame.

I do agree that these should not be used in place of fireworks, but I think they could be used in some nighttime shows.

What I'd really like to see is them in the daylight- I'd like to see how they take off and land, and how they're controlled.  That's more interesting to me than the show.

TCD

Did you watch the video I had posted of the Intel shows.  If I remember correctly they showed them taking off in a group.  There Intel banner was more impressive also.

7 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

February don't go past 8 or nine most of the nights we will be there, although that will likely change a bit before then.

I remember when we first went to Busch Gardens after we moved here in 78.

In the summer the park was only open until  7 at the latest, maybe even 6, and the rest of the year it was closed by 5, because they didn't have any outdoor lighting.

I think it was the mid to late 80s that they started staying open after dark.

I think a problem with the videos is that they aren't in 3D. I suspect they look much better in person where you can see the 3D effect. I think for the area where they are having the show it is a good idea. It adds a bit of outside activity that folks can see while waiting for a restaurant or taking a break from shopping and is unique. Is it something worth going to Disney Springs to see on its own? I tend to lean towards no but it is a nice addition to an already planned evening.

12 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Did you watch the video I had posted of the Intel shows.  If I remember correctly they showed them taking off in a group.  There Intel banner was more impressive also.

No. I didn't realize that article had a video.  I just watched it.  I still would like to see it in real life.  I want to know how the drones are set out before they take off, and in the case of the Disney Springs show, where do they take off and land?   Where do they keep them during he day?  Where is the one guy with the computer who is controlling all the drones?  I'd like to see all of that.

TCD

14 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

No. I didn't realize that article had a video.  I just watched it.  I still would like to see it in real life.  I want to know how the drones are set out before they take off, and in the case of the Disney Springs show, where do they take off and land?   Where do they keep them during he day?  Where is the one guy with the computer who is controlling all the drones?  I'd like to see all of that.

TCD

Sounds like a mission in your future 

3 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Perhaps they'd be more interesting in person.  But I doubt it.  I think an evening show of the two of us shimmying up the porch poles would be more captivating than this garbage.    

That's really not a fair comparison.

Of course a shimmying show would be more captivating.

But the splinters.. .

TCD

The Disney Parks Blog updated their post to confirm the opening and end dates for the show, and the performance times:

We’re excited to share an update that the first shows of “Starbright Holidays – An Intel Collaboration” will begin on November 20. You can see the nightly performances at Disney Springs at 7:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. from Nov. 20 – Jan 8.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/11/hundreds-of-show-drones-light-up-the-skies-during-the-holidays-at-disney-springs-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

TCD