FAA approved Disney's request for Drones

My Jason loves Drones, so we're excited about this. I only watched a few seconds of the video because I like to see things in person. Like TCD, I don't want to see them replace fireworks, but I do think they can serve a purpose like this and enhance other shows.  

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't be fooled.  This is just one more way Disney has to spy on me.

If you want the Elite viewing area complete with a shotgun to shoot down as many drones as you can during the show, it can be booked for the low low cost of $1500 per person, and you get a complimenta

Thanks to wdwmagic.com for this article.  Looks like Disney's patent for their shows is going forward. http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/epcot/news/04nov2016-disney-gets-faa-approval-for-drone-

14 hours ago, Travisma said:

If you want the Elite viewing area complete with a shotgun to shoot down as many drones as you can during the show, it can be booked for the low low cost of $1500 per person, and you get a complimentary cup of lukewarm cocoa and a leftover Christmas Party cookie.

You are aware that your post is very close to something Disney is likely to do. As an upgrade  if you miss a drone and hit a goose they'll cook it up for you for an additional $1000.

I finally checked out the drone show last night.

We were right behind the new Starbucks, which is very convenient to reach if you park in the Orange parking garage.  It is so easy to get in and park at Disney Springs now.  So much better than it used to be.

There was a pretty good crowd, and we missed getting a spot on the railing along the water.  No worries, though, everything happens up in the air, so everyone can see.

The show was better than I expected.

Yes, it's very short, but that's probably a good thing.  Too much of this could get boring.

I was surprised at the beginning of the show.  I thought that there would be some sound that we could hear as the drones arrived and got in place.  But, we heard nothing from the drones.  The music started, and the drones lit up and revealed that they were already hovering in place.

Here's a photo, which is isn't different from others that you have already seen:

drones_zps9oeeus48.jpg

We saw the 7 pm show, and then went to eat.

After dinner, on the way out, the 8:30 show started (which I think was actually at 8:45).  You can see the drones from the parking garage and the area in front of it. Actually, you can appreciate the scale of the displays from a distance more than you can along the water, and they pipe the musical track throughout Disney Springs.  If you're feeling lazy, you could watch it right from the parking garage.  I also think that rooftop deck on the Coca Cola building might be a good viewing spot.

If you're going to be at Disney Springs, it's worth taking the time to watch.

TCD

2 minutes ago, Beckers said:

What do you think they will do after the holidays? New show? We were talking that maybe a Moana theme would work, make a wave for the water and with Maui being a shape shifter they could probably do bird, shark..

Good question.

One thing that they can take advantage of now is how early it gets dark.  As the days get longer, they would have to push back the start times.

I also wonder about wind and weather.  November and December are typically very dry months in central Florida, storm-wise.  I would guess they can't do the show if it's storming, so the rainy springs and summers would be a problem.

But, you're right- in the short term, they could probably have a show run for January and February.   Moana or any Disney movie could work.

TCD