Celebration at the Top- Sip, Savor, Sparkle Select Sundays starting Feb 26

http://www.theworldandmore.net/celebrate-the-top/

Celebration at the Top, a new dining event coming to California Grill at Disney’s Contemporary Resort at Walt Disney World® Resort, allows your Clients to sip, savor and sparkle as they enjoy the Magic Kingdom® Park fireworks spectacular from an intimate and private observation deck.

Celebration at the Top Guests can check in at California Grill an hour before fireworks. After being whisked up to the California Grill, which sits on the 15th floor of Disney’s Contemporary Resort, you will be taken to the intimate and secluded banquet rooms to enjoy canapés, a selection of sushi rolled by the expert California Grill sushi chefs, a selection of flatbreads and other small plates. A complimentary bar offering craft beers, California wines, cordials and coffee will also be available.

Just before the night spectacular begins, you will be lead to their private observation deck, which offers stunning views of Magic Kingdom Park and the fireworks. After taking in the breathtaking sights and sounds, they can return to the private room for petit four desserts including decadent chocolate confections and fruit tarts.

Reservations for Celebration at the Top are now open for select Sunday evenings from Feb. 26-April 16, 2017. Cost is $99 per person, plus tax and gratuity. Complimentary valet parking is included.

This is another one of those deals that people used to be able to on their own.  Like that progressive monorail dinner, instead of paying Disney $125 a person for this (with tax and tip), you could go up to the bar at California Grill and order a couple of drinks and appetizers and do the same thing they're offering for less money.  Granted, this deal gives you a reserved spot, and if you take advantage of the all you can eat and drink aspect of it, it could have some value.

It's just another cash grabbing scheme.  Not as bad as those $600 carports in the MK, but it's still a cash grab.

TCD

15 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

We had a great chat with a CM at Trader Sam's outdoor terrace last week about the monorail crawl, he basically said that it was kind of ridiculous as you could do it on your own, but people were paying for it and it was pretty popular.

I see these events as an extension of the dessert parties that have become popular at the MK, Epcot and DHS (and I'll bet the Rivers of Light dessert party has been on the drawing board for a long time).  It's the same deal for all of these- you could come out way ahead if you just paid out of pocket for a couple of drinks and a cupcake or Mickey bar, and found your own spot to watch Wishes, Illuminations or the Star Wars fireworks.  But, there are so many uninformed visitors to WDW that Disney has no trouble selling out these events.  If people are willing to pay so much extra for these things, I can't blame Disney for taking their money.

TCD

If people want to waste their $$  treat their families to a wonderful time more power too them.

What aggravates me, is that all Disney has done is taken prime viewing spots (that have been available since the parks opened) away from the general public, and cordoned them off for the 1%ers.

In an area that maybe could hold 200-300 people, they set up barricades and tables for 50 to 75 people.  Disney doesn't realize that the general population is what keeps them in business year after year.  Sure, they will get families that just spend spend spend, but can they afford to show up year after year?

We were sitting at Aunt Pollys last Saturday when the Ice Cream Social started up.  If there were 30 people on it, it was a lot.  Now I know this is a money grabbing windfall for Disney.  

What's the extra cost, some roll on coolers, extra tables and a couple of extra CMs?  Even with just 30 people they come out ahead.

But by having this on the riverboat, it puts it out of commission for probably 2+ hours to the normal park goers.

Sooner or later their core customers, AP holders, and the normal people that scrimp and save to come back every couple of years are going to get tired of being treated like second class citizens, and getting corralled into smaller and smaller spaces trying to see different shows and events.

If you want to upcharge so people get something special, then really give them something special by building new viewing area just for them!

35 minutes ago, Travisma said:

If people want to waste their $$  treat their families to a wonderful time more power too them.

What aggravates me, is that all Disney has done is taken prime viewing spots (that have been available since the parks opened) away from the general public, and cordoned them off for the 1%ers.

In an area that maybe could hold 200-300 people, they set up barricades and tables for 50 to 75 people.  Disney doesn't realize that the general population is what keeps them in business year after year.  Sure, they will get families that just spend spend spend, but can they afford to show up year after year?

We were sitting at Aunt Pollys last Saturday when the Ice Cream Social started up.  If there were 30 people on it, it was a lot.  Now I know this is a money grabbing windfall for Disney.  

What's the extra cost, some roll on coolers, extra tables and a couple of extra CMs?  Even with just 30 people they come out ahead.

But by having this on the riverboat, it puts it out of commission for probably 2+ hours to the normal park goers.

Sooner or later their core customers, AP holders, and the normal people that scrimp and save to come back every couple of years are going to get tired of being treated like second class citizens, and getting corralled into smaller and smaller spaces trying to see different shows and events.

If you want to upcharge so people get something special, then really give them something special by building new viewing area just for them!

Great post.

Half of the FP+ viewing area for Wishes is now roped off for dessert party guests, as is the terrace that used to open to all.  These new offerings at the Contemporary are taking away deck space that used to be open to everyone (especially Contemporary Resort guests who pay a premium to stay there).

You're right that current management is not thinking long-term, but that's the way it is with all businesses these days.  They're focused on making a profit now, this quarter, at whatever cost.  So far, they've been very good at it, and it's not going to stop until people stop lapping this stuff up.

TCD

When a guy who gets into these scams special events for free complains about it, you know that it's not worth it.

TCD

I think his reviews of things are a lot more honest than most bloggers. I'm sure DFB, for example, loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

When we've eaten at California Grill before we were always allowed to come back later to watch the fireworks from the roof. I wonder if they're taking that away from guest at CG now that this paid event is going on. 

Josh posted a complete review on his blog: http://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/review-celebration-at-the-top-at-disneys-california-grill-at-the-contemporary-resort/

He mentions that you can bring your California Grill receipt to the podium for admission to the observation deck, so it looks like that hasn't changed.

If you make it all the way through his article, he makes a very good point about how a couple could get much more by paying out of pocket at the California Grill than what is offered in this special event.

TCD