Communication cable was cut here in FL.  Affecting over a million users to varying degrees.  Phones and internet down.. looks like a cascading effect.  We had service most of the day at my work location while other post offices were going down in clusters.  We lost phone and network about 1:30 and are still down.  It’s affecting various vendors.

911 was/is down in Manatee county as well. We were at the Drs office around 1pm and their phones started working again but haven't heard anything about 911 coming back online. The text and calls they sent out gave an alternate number or said to text 911 from a mobile phone. 

Kind of scary because if you didn't watch the news or weren't signed up for the emergency alerts there would be no way of knowing right off hand how to get ahold of emergency services.

15 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

My brother in Sarasota mentioned to me a short time ago that the 911 system there is down.  Must be part of it.  

Mercy... that's scary.

14 hours ago, caveat lector said:

Kind of adds credence to delicate / exposed our infrastructure is.

Agreed.  While I appreciate some of the modern conveniences of technology... I'm not a huge fan.