Walt Disney World

Roy Disney changed it from Disney World to honor his brother Walt after his death.

Animal Kingdom

It was Wild Animal Kingdom. Disney removed the "Wild" from the name in part to avoid a potential conflict with Mutual of Omaha's "Wild Kingdom" TV show.

Disney

The family's original name was D'Isigny. Originally from France, Isigny-Sur-Mer was the village where Walt's relatives came from.

Fulton's Crab House

Originally it was Empress Lilly, named after Walt Disney's wife Lillian.

Daisy Duck

It was Donna Duck.

Goofy

Whos's full name is Goofy G. Goof was Dippy Dawg. His first story was named "Dippy the Goof" and is where the name Goofy originated from.

Pluto

Was Rover.

Mickey

Most people know that it was Mortimer.

Minnie

Minnie is her nick name. Minerva is her full name.

It was Wild Animal Kingdom. Disney removed the "Wild" from the name in part to avoid a potential conflict with Mutual of Omaha's "Wild Kingdom" TV show.

I didn't realize that. In my mind they were always connected because they always came on together when I was young!

Hollywood Studio Originally Disney's MGM Studio.

I'm not positive why the name change, but I think it was because Disney merged with Pixar & did not want the park associated with any specific movie production company.

Good one Debbie. Forgot all about it. Your guess is close to the official Disney response.

According to Disney, the name change came about because it better represented what the park was all about in the present era. The name MGM was too focused on one studio and represented the Golden era in movies and that there was no falling out between MGM & Disney.

Unofficialy there was a lot of litigation going on regarding the MGM name. Disney thought that they had the exclusive rights, turned out they didn't. The MGM name was being used in Las Vegas and Disney felt that their reputation would be harmed by the connection to Las Vegas.

Port Orleans Riverside used to be Dixie Landings. I still have my mug!

Quote from the WDW Library and Research Center.

On March 1, 2001, the transformation of Disney's Dixie Landings Resort and Disney's Port Orleans Resort into one resort began with changes to road signage in and around the two resorts. Disney's Port Orleans Resort and Disney's Dixie Landings Resort will complete the transformation process and officially merge to form a single resort on April 1, 2001. The combined resort will be called Disney's Port Orleans Resort with the area, formerly known as Disney's Port Orleans Resort, changing its name to the French Quarter region, and the area, formerly known as Disney's Dixie Landings Resort, changing its name to the Riverside region.

Shades of Green resort was originally opened as the Golf Resort. Then, it was renamed the Disney Inn.

From the WDW Library & Research Center

On December 14, 1973, the Golf Resort opens at the Walt Disney World Resort.

On February 4, 1986 the name was changed to The Disney Inn.

On February 1, 1994, the Armed Forces Recreation Center assumes control and changes the name to Shades of Green on Walt Disney World Resort. AFRC operates the Resort for members of the U.S. Armed Forces community.

Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village - Walt Disney World Village - Disney Village Marketplace - Downtown Disney.

I still call it Disney Shopping Village.

Just to keep things straight. The entire area is called the Downtown Disney area and is divided into 3 sections, Downtown Disney West Side, Downtown Disney Marketplace and Pleasure Island, for now.

My mother does too. They have been down there ONE TIME in their entire life for one day, and mother says "we didn't go to Disney World, we went to Epcot"

:rofl2:

He has been MANY times. I have stopped attempting to correct him. Those that paid for most of the trips, names/calls whatever. :banana: