TCD's Weekend Update- May 14, 2011

Part of the TCD gang made a one day blitzkrieg visit to WDW on May 14, 2011.

Naturally, there are photos to share and news to report.

As some on you may know, I have been working on a trip report from a visit three months ago. It is a bit difficult to post about events that happened three months ago.

I will be finishing that trip report up soon.

But, let's take a little detour and look at some things that are very current.

Like two days old.

This was an unplanned trip.

Mrs. TCD is a pre-school teacher.

One of the activities she does each year is to use a stuffed animal which each student gets to take home for a week. They are required to take photos and write a report with their parents' help. On Friday, they get to share their report with the class. It is kind of liked controlled show and tell.

Well, at the end of the year, Mrs. TCD gets to take the animal home and give a report to the class. She always wants to do something that will be interesting for the students.

Well, this was Mrs. TCD's week.

The TCD twins suggested a visit to WDW.

I'm always up for that.

So, early on Saturday morning, May 14, we headed east.

We started our day at Animal Kingdom for rope drop.

There was no rope drop ceremony, and we were standing outside of Expedition Everest at just before 9 am.

This is Jack, who was along for the day:

100_0050.jpg

Here is Jack on EE:

100_0049.jpg

Here is Jack on Dinosaur (he is the blurry blob in the back row-look for the Ray's shirt):

100_0052.jpg

Jack with the Tree of Life:

100_0058.jpg

After EE and Dinosaur, we were going to take a safari ride, but the wait was already 40 minutes. So, we headed to Rafiki's Planet Watch. It had been a while since we have visited there.

My DD's always enjoy the mask making station that is set up in Harambe Village:

IMG_3235.jpg

After that, it was about 11, and we decided to bolt and go get some lunch.

Since we were at AK, we decided to eat at AKL. We all love the Mara.. While there, my DD's ran into a friend from school who visits WDW about as much as we do. They had just hopped from Hollywood Studios, and were on their way to AK. The girl's father had three Toy Story Midway Mania Fastpasses that they were not going to use, and he offered them to me. Sweet.

While at AK, one of my DD's loaded a new app on here phone called Gowalla. I am not sure what this is exactly, but it was mentioned in the latest passholder's newsletter. There, we learned that you could use this app to check in at certain places in WDW, and earn a pin. She had checked in at certain places in AK. She was taking a look at it during lunch, and saw an announcement about a celebration of Pixar's 25th anniversary at Epcot which was taking place on Saturday, May 14. I had not heard anything about this, but it was all there on her phone. There was a guidemap and everything. We decided to make Epcot our next stop.

And here we are!:

100_0067.jpg

This Pixar thing was pretty cool.

They had events, which were mostly character meet and greets, throughout Epcot.

And, they also had the old Millennium Village opened up, with a bunch of character meet and greets in there.

On the way in to the building, they had interesting displays like this:

100_0079.jpg

Here are some of the characters the girls got to meet. A lot of these are what you would call "rares," and this was a big deal to a lot of folks who were there. We had never seen some of these characters before, like Mr. Potato Head:

IMG_3253.jpg

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3254.jpg

IMG_3264.jpg

We even got to meet Duffy:

IMG_3275.jpg

And, we even spotted a celebrity!

Do you remember the pregnant man from a few years ago?

He/she was even on the cover of People magazine.

I wonder what ever happened to him/her?

Well, guess who we ran right in to at Epcot?

Him/Her!!!!

Look!:

IMG_3278.jpg

This would be a good time for me to post a warning.

If you are a pregnant man and you go to WDW, chances are your photo will end up in a TCD trip report.

I am sure that you have all seen photos of the Lotso topiary which is up front at Epcot for the Flower and Garden festival.

Well, did you know that they have strawberry plants planted all around it?

Look here, you can see the strawberries:

IMG_3279.jpg

At Epcot, we purchased a new outfit for Jack the bear.

And, then we hopped over to Hollywood Studios, where Jack got to meet the Big Cheese himself:

100_0081.jpg

We used our Toy Story Midway Mania Fastpasses here.

100_0082.jpg

100_0086.jpg

Jack got to visit New York on this trip:

100_0090.jpg

Since Jack had a Buzz Lightyear costume now, I suggested that we go over to the Star Wars attraction and take his photo with something Space Related.

To our surprise, the Star Tours attraction, which had been closed for a major renovation, was open!

Its grand opening is not scheduled to take place until May 20th, but here we were, and it was open.

So, we had to check it out!

The only problem for our story is that there was no photography allowed. It says so right here:

100_0092.jpg

There were castmembers stationed throughout the que warning people not to take photos.

I checked my camera to make sure it was off, and I accidentally took these photos while I was trying to put it away:

100_0093.jpg

100_0094.jpg

This is in a big room when you first enter the que.

The ship and the robots are not new, but this big screen is:

100_0095.jpg

The cue is a lot cleaner and more futuristic looking than the old:

100_0097.jpg

The big change in this attraction is the fact that it is now 3D. And the 3D glasses are really cool!:

100_0098.jpg

The new Star Tours is way better than the old version!

We also noticed that a huge stage has been set up right in front of the hat for the Star Wars weekends which will begin this coming weekend:

100_0099.jpg

100_0101.jpg

We took Jack on Tower of Terror:

100_0102.jpg

And then it was time to bounce to our next destination.

Which was . . .

Did you guess MK?

Not yet.

We headed to the Fort.

And saw some interesting things there.

Which you will see in the next installment.

TCD

This post has been promoted to an article

Wow, this is rapid reporting. So fast that the pictures aren't even dry (reference for those that remember having to wave the instant polaroid pictures around after the camera spit them out).

How fortuitous that the camera malfunctioned while at Star Tours.

Great pics as always. Thanks!

We're headed off to the Studios today...was going to try and check out the new Star Tours.

But here it is, with pics too!! We're a day late again...gotta get up real early to scoop TCD!! :lol:

We missed TCD at the Fort when I got "Spiked" because we were in DTD. :argh:

Please come back and visit again!

This will be what you call one of those short trip reports.

Just one more batch of photos.

To re-cap- we started our day at AK, hopped over to Epcot, and then on to Hollywood Studios.

By now, it was time to think about dinner.

And, when I am at WDW when evening approaches, I start to think Trail's End and Giddyap and Go.

So we headed to the Fort.

There was quite a commotion going on.

There was a big triathlon scheduled for Sunday morning, and check-in had to be completed by 6 pm.

The triathletes parked their bikes in the field adjacent to Pioneer Hall.

There were quite a few bikes.

See?:

100_0103.jpg

100_0104.jpg

100_0105.jpg

100_0106.jpg

A huge tent was set up next to the Settlement playground, with smaller tents and such set up all the way toward the old River Country entrance:

100_0107.jpg

100_0108.jpg

100_0109.jpg

When I saw all of this, I was concerned that Trail's End would be packed, and that there would be no tables available on the porch.

Well, it turns out that triathletes do not gorge on fried chicken the night before a big race.

So, Jack got to enjoy a GAG along with us right there on the porch:

100_0110.jpg

Here's a shot from the porch looking toward the marina and Settlement Trading Post. Note the row of porta-potties set up to the left of the Trading Post in this shot:

100_0111.jpg

We had parked up front, and taken a bus back to the Settlement.

On the way back to the Outpost, we took a purple bus. They were going to town on the cabin pool. It looks like this is more than just a resurfacing. I would guess that the deep end is going bye-bye.

We stopped at the Reception Outpost for a final pit stop before hitting the road. I love the flowers that are always in bloom around here:

100_0112.jpg

100_0114.jpg

100_0117.jpg

This old poster has always captured my attention. One of these was recently up for sale on eBay. I didn't get to see what the final sale price was:

100_0119.jpg

100_0118.jpg

The original plan was to hit the MK.

But, it was raining off and on, and we were a bit tired from our early start.

So, we headed on home.

That is all.

TCD

I had to zoom in a little closer to make sure you were wearing the corect T shirt. Turns out you were.

100_0049.jpg

Ha Ha!

Very funny!

But, why would I want to wear that shirt?

The FIRST PLACE Rays just swept the Red Socks!

Go Rays!

Way cool weekend, I wish I had been Jack. One quick question. Is the motion still as bad on the new Star Wars as it was on the old? I would like to try it but am a little afraid of getting sick :(

Sorry to say, but in my opinion the motion is worse.

And, the film is in 3D.

I generally don't get sick on these types of attractions.

But, Mission Space gets to me a bit. Especially after multiple rides.

There was one sequence in Star Tours which involved a rapid backward effect. It was very realistic, but it is definitely not for those prone to motion sickness.

I would say it's not as bad as Mission Space.

But, I wouldn't want to ride it multiple times in a row.

We're headed off to the Studios today...was going to try and check out the new Star Tours.

But here it is, with pics too!! We're a day late again...gotta get up real early to scoop TCD!! :lol:

We missed TCD at the Fort when I got "Spiked" because we were in DTD. :argh:

Please come back and visit again!

Yep.

You snooze, you loose.

Enjoy your spike!

I don't think I'll be back before y'all leave.

TCD

Well that makes it a big no no for me then. I love Mickey's Philharmagic but I have never seen the whole flying carpet scene. I have to close my eyes and wait for Mike to tell me it's over. Same thing on Soarin, I get to enjoy most of it but towards the end I have the same problemn. Needless to say I have never been on Mission Space :rofl2: I can do Rockin Roller Coaster but only once and usually make it the last ride of the day just in case.

Good thing there are so many other things for me to enjoy :banana:

Well that makes it a big no no for me then. I love Mickey's Philharmagic but I have never seen the whole flying carpet scene. I have to close my eyes and wait for Mike to tell me it's over. Same thing on Soarin, I get to enjoy most of it but towards the end I have the same problemn. Needless to say I have never been on Mission Space :rofl2: I can do Rockin Roller Coaster but only once and usually make it the last ride of the day just in case.

That piece at the end of Soarin' where you are zooming up Disneyland Mainstreet? I know what you mean! I LOVE Soarin'... all but that one piece. :barf:

That piece at the end of Soarin' where you are zooming up Disneyland Mainstreet? I know what you mean! I LOVE Soarin'... all but that one piece. :barf:

If y'all have issues with Philharmagic and Soarin', then you will want to steer clear of Star Tours.

On Star Tours, you are in a simulator, so the whole "theater" is moving.

In 3D.

TCD

If y'all have issues with Philharmagic and Soarin', then you will want to steer clear of Star Tours.

In 3D.

TCD

Definitely not going to try it. I hav e no problem people watching when the rest of my group wants to do those type of rides :banana:

In 3D.

TCD

I road the previous version of Star Tours once. I lasted about 2 seconds and sat there the rest of the time with my eyes closed. Nope... I'll head over to the Writer's Stop and get a carrot cake cookie with all that yummy cream cheese frosting while the rest of the crew enjoys the excitment.

I road the previous version of Star Tours once. I lasted about 2 seconds and sat there the rest of the time with my eyes closed. Nope... I'll head over to the Writer's Stop and get a carrot cake cookie with all that yummy cream cheese frosting while the rest of the crew enjoys the excitment.

It's always good to have a back-up plan :banana:

So, during the midst of giving us a major trip report, you go sidebar on us with a weekend update trip report.

Wow! Man, this is more than just getting a “Disney Fix” this is “Total Disney Saturation!” And I like it. :banana:

To all doing TR’s right now, Thank Ya, Thank Ya very much. :popcorn:

I love the report with Jack! He is one lucky bear. I would like to find out more about the Gowalla app, it sounds interesting. The Pixar Celebration looked really cool and I would love to see some of those characters. Thanks for taking us along through your TR.

...The original plan was to hit the MK.

But, it was raining off and on, and we were a bit tired from our early start.

So, we headed on home.

That is all.

TCD

What!!! A TCD trip report with only two installments?? Say it ain't so! Encore!! Encore!!

So, during the midst of giving us a major trip report, you go sidebar on us with a weekend update trip report.

Wow! Man, this is more than just getting a “Disney Fix” this is “Total Disney Saturation!” And I like it. :banana:

To all doing TR’s right now, Thank Ya, Thank Ya very much. :popcorn:

Total Disney Saturation!

Yep.

I had to get these photos posted, because I have a bunch more to get to.

There is still plenty more to come!

Do you think you can take it?

I love the report with Jack! He is one lucky bear. I would like to find out more about the Gowalla app, it sounds interesting. The Pixar Celebration looked really cool and I would love to see some of those characters. Thanks for taking us along through your TR.

The Pixar celebration was a complete surprise to us, and it was fun.

Gowalla seems to be like an official version of Four Square, which my DD's used to do while at the Fort and WDW.

Is there anyone reading along who has used Four Square at the Fort?

I had hoped to have my DD complete all of the check ins to earn one of the pins promised by the Gowalla site. We still aren't sure if these pins are actual pins or virtual, but we will be finding that on our next visit, I'm sure.

What!!! A TCD trip report with only two installments?? Say it ain't so! Encore!! Encore!!

Yep.

That's all there is for this one.

This was just a free bonus.

Not to worry, there are three longer reports in my in box.

Great trip report!! I love how camera shy your girls are :rofl2: . What I love most is the memories you and your girls will have of all the great trips you take together :hug:

O and mad props to you for your ability to get pics inside star tours it looks great!

You are right about the memories.

And, it has been deliberate on my part this year.

My babies are turning 16 this month.

Which means that they will be getting their drivers' licenses.

And that means mom and dad will become slightly less relevant.

In a couple more years, Mrs. TCD and I will have an empty nest.

I'm not ready for that.

Great report!! I just love your pics too!! Wish I was there to have all the fun your having!!

Thanks for your kind words.

We are lucky to live close enough to WDW that a day trip is do-able.

Hopefully, there will be a lot more day trips this year.

TCD

Thanks, Dave.

I have used eBay a couple of times, but I am not good at finding stuff on there.

How do you find information on closed auctions?

$431! Wow!

Anyway, there was something really interesting posted about this poster by the seller.

This poster was designed by Robert McDonnell sometime around 1974. I was

under the impression that less than 500 were made, but that was only a

guess. They are now considered collector items (worth $500).

Robert snuck his initials in shadows under the engine, which is a big no-no

at Disney (see attached). Disney focused on the train in most of its early

advertisements to show this was no ordinary campground.

The seller posted this photo of the poster showing the artist's initials under the engine:

poster.jpg

This is a zoom from the photo I took of the poster in the Reception Outpost:

train.jpg

It looks like the initials might be there, but it is hard to tell. I will need to take a closer look next time. I think that I see the R and the M, but in black. Maybe the first photo has the intials highlighted so we could see them. I think that there is another of these posted in the horse barn.

TCD