• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they have it under control by Saturday. Maybe all the smoke will drive all the yellow flies away.

It certainly isn't as bad as last year...we got swarmed then...couldn't even be outside.

Unfortunately, the ones that are here now haven't been driven away by the smoke.

I got two last night moving the motorhome and all our stuff across the road.

One on my leg is so swollen that I have no ankle.

And, oh, it just itches like crazy!!!

BTW, the wind has died down a lot and there's not much smoke around our loop right now.

Hope that helps them get the rest of the fire under control.

Apparently we had a visit from Yuri's sister today.

When we got back from the playground we found these pictures with a note....

Dear TCD Junior Deputy,

I came to visit today but nobody was home so I borrowed your golf cart and and camera for a wander around the Fort. Some friends were back in the 2000 loop. They were not home either, but I did find the Disney Popo. In chatting with them they told me the fire has now burned almost 80 acres and is still smoldering. They will continue to flood the area and monitor the situation closely and expect it will be burning for a while yet. While wandering the back creek area checking for 'gators I chanced to take a couple pictures. The security man made me erase all the pictures I took because it is a Restricted Area. Unfortunately, since I'm not used to using your camera I missed erasing a few pictures. Say "hello" to my brother Yuri if you happen to see him. I think he's due to visit TCD again.

Your friend,

Cousin Olga

DSCN7100.jpg

DSCN7102.jpg

DSCN7103.jpg

DSCN7104-1.jpg

Tri-B, can you give us an update? Any Fiend at the Fort right now? (I know there are several of you there right now...)

The pathway to WL is open...in fact we just went that way to the lodge today.

The Disney Popo is sitting at the intersection of where the road crosses the trail and you cannot go the back way up that road.

We had thought about doing that when the fire first broke out but the Disney Popo beat us to it...how thoughtless!!

Oh, and you cannot see any smoke or anything from the walk way.

The blockade on the other end has been moved back to by the 2000 loop bus stop.

Tri-B

Had a pretty good shower here today so we decided to check out the 2000 loop. The security people were gone and we drove all the way to the fire road they cut through but didn't go further. Could still smell smoke bit they must feel it is out.

Good reporting.

We were just down in that area. Like Tigger reported, there are no more Disney popo or RCFD vehicles in the area.

The gate to where they made the fire break is open and we saw some guys in a gator go down into the area. You can also see "sprinklers" working to keep the area damp. I have pics and will post them later.

The group area is full. The 2000 loop has about 6 empty sites but nobody is hanging out in the road and everything looks neat and tidy

Tri-B

Wow - what a bunch of excitement~ so sorry for those that experienced health issues, but I learned something very valuable.... the phone number on the door thing - never occurred to me to do that before, you can bet we'll be doing it on future trips. Wow. Great reporting, guys!!

Here is the last of the fire pictures....

(BTW, the whole area, including Bay Lake, was covered in a smokey haze last night...

Apparently there was a fire in Osceola County yesterday and the smoke was blowing in our direction.)

The fire road going into swamp. Note the fire hose running down the left then right into the woods.

DSCN7489.jpg

Sprinklers still running to keep the area damp. This is why they need the fire hose.

DSCN7490.jpg

Close up of trees that got singed and burned. Looks like the fire was closer than most people knew.

DSCN7492.jpg

Tri-B