Memorial Day Madness At The Fort

Thanks for all the input guys! My goal was to finish this TR this morning. I only have one short post left, but I am having "one of those days" :argh:

I promise to finish sometime today!!!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the input guys! My goal was to finish this TR this morning. I only have one short post left, but I am having "one of those days" :argh:

I promise to finish sometime today!!!

I hate it when I have "one of those days". but this just gives me something to look forward too :banana:

We are now down to the nitty gritty, but to start this final post, we have to rewind a bit.

Most of you know Nathen's best friend Jordan left for boot camp on Feb 8th. We knew he would graduate on May 27th and come home for a short visit before being shipped to Washington state.

He knew we would be at the fort that weekend, and he was planning on driving down on Saturday to see us. Well, he had some family from out of state, and his Dad had planned a couple of coming home picnics, dinners, etc. Jordan called us on Saturday and said he would hopefully be down to the fort on Sunday. Sunday morning, at 5:30 a.m. I hear my son on his phone! We all stumble out of bed and find out he's talking to Jordan.

I asked Nathen "Is he coming down today?"

Nathen says "Yeah, he's on World Drive!"

:panic: My first thought was that there was no way they were going to let this kid in that early on a Sunday morning of a holiday weekend. I hadn't put him on our ressie as we weren't sure when or if he was going to make it.

Trevor threw on some clothes and headed to the front. Coming down the main road into the campground....here comes Jordan! He told the guard he was visiting 552, and they welcomed him in! So if you wondered if they really cracked down on visitors for the holiday weekend, the answer is NO. It was 5:45 am at this point, and still dark! I guess as long as you can pull a legitimate site number out of your hat, you're in!

The REAL G.I. Jordan:

memorialday2001nates21st233.jpg

My favorite men:

memorialday2001nates21st234.jpg

The rest of the day was spent around the fort, which accounts for some of the pictures you've seen. Sunday evening was NASCAR, so of course I was settled in the screen room with the TV on.

Then we got company! :heart: Karla, Paul and Aiden came by for a visit. Aiden and Mason hit it off. Mason is a tennis ball-a-holic. Other than food, it's his most favorite thing in the world. He knows there is no playing ball in the house, so he will gladly lay down and push it with his nose so it will roll to you. Aiden thought that was great, so like a drug pusher to an addict, they became best buds! :))

I tried to take pics of them playing, but little Aiden is like a jumping bean so this is what I ended up with.

memorialday2001nates21st241.jpg

memorialday2001nates21st243.jpg

memorialday2001nates21st244.jpg

memorialday2001nates21st245.jpg

We had a great time, and it was well worth missing some of the race to enjoy their company.

Monday morning I woke up early with the "Crap-I-gotta-go-home blues" So we started packing up:

memorialday2001nates21st246.jpg

memorialday2001nates21st247.jpg

We were back in Inverness around 11:00 am. :( Fort trips always go by so fast, and I'm never ready to go home. Looking forward to our next trip, and hoping to find more fiends. Fiends make my favorite place on earth even better. :wub:

The last thing I have for ya'll is TCD's RMOG award. Sorry the picture is blurry, it was taken from the road going by on the cart.

memorialday2001nates21st238.jpg

These campers were in the 600 loop, well......sort of. The landscaping you see on the right of the pic is the landscaping around the Meadow Trading post. If you look closely, you can see the campfire bleachers behind them. I'm not sure why they were so far out of the site, and I'm surprised Disney let them set up there, but they were definitely a hop, skip and a jump away from the store. :laugh:

Thanks for following along, til next next time..............

Great finish Stef. Your site was just oozing testosterone wasn't it. And it came in all sizes. Lucky girl :rofl2: Glad Jordan was able to come right in but it doesn't say much for Fort securtiy. Is that Trevor blowing dirt of your pad? You guys can come visit me anytime, nice neat visitors who clean up after themselves, you don't see that much anymore :rofl2:

Now plan an other trip so we can read another report, oh and Halloween doesn't count. :banana:

BRAVO!

BRAVO!

Excellent job, S70!

I especially like the RMOG award.

I have seen this before.

I think is is awesome for the folks who get those sites.

But it amazes me that Disney allows it.

There used to be a rule that your stuff had to be confined to your campsite and sand pad.

But, then they cleared out the sites, and folks started putting their stuff everywhere.

This shows it has gotten a bit out of hand.

So, when is the next trip?

TCD

The last thing I have for ya'll is TCD's RMOG award. Sorry the picture is blurry, it was taken from the road going by on the cart.

memorialday2001nates21st238.jpg

These campers were in the 600 loop, well......sort of. The landscaping you see on the right of the pic is the landscaping around the Meadow Trading post. If you look closely, you can see the campfire bleachers behind them. I'm not sure why they were so far out of the site, and I'm surprised Disney let them set up there, but they were definitely a hop, skip and a jump away from the store. :laugh:

Thanks for following along, til next next time..............

yes doodle, that was actually Nate blowing things off. With owning a lawn/landscaping business, bringing a blower is a MUST. I'm just happy that they don't bring the backpack blowers, my neighbors wouldn't like us very much!

TCD, we are going to Crystal River for the 4th, so our next fort visit will most likely be Labor day. Should I look forward to a visit?!Smiley-Begging.gif

IMO, having the tents set up that close to the store was a bit tacky, but Hey, whatever creams your twinkie, right?

dblr, Thanks a bunch! Ya gotta love the digital cameras...take 1,000 pictures to get 500 good ones, and delete the rest. ;) Any trips planned for you?

Great report Steph! Glad everyone had a great time! :parrot: :yay:

Especially happy Jordan was able to spend time with ya'll before training in Washington. Please tell him Thank you again for us! We appreciate his sacrafice to protect us and allow us our freedom. :usa:

I finally got caught up on your report and just have to say, it is AWESOME!

I really enjoy your reports, and am glad you take the time to catch all that makes the Fort vacations special.

Thanks for a great report and I can't wait until your next one.

We usually bring a blower to the Fort too. Gotta keep the sand in the sand area, and keep the pine needles away.

We also blow our "stuff" off before packing it up.

Yes Carol, before we started bringing the hand blower, we always ended up bringing part of the fort home with us. Unfortunately, pine needles, leaves and coquino shells, were not my idea of good souvenirs!

Great report Steph! Glad everyone had a great time! :parrot: :yay:

Especially happy Jordan was able to spend time with ya'll before training in Washington. Please tell him Thank you again for us! We appreciate his sacrafice to protect us and allow us our freedom. :usa:

Thanks Genia. I watched his graduation ceremony on DVD, and it's hard to imagine all those young "boys" who are willing to makes those sacrifices. We couldn't be more proud of him!

Great TR! Makes me wishing for another trip real soon :banana: Probably not till December :( Till then, I will camp vicariously through everyone's reports.

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I am more than happy to keep you going until your next trip. ^-^

I finally got caught up on your report and just have to say, it is AWESOME!

I really enjoy your reports, and am glad you take the time to catch all that makes the Fort vacations special.

Thanks for a great report and I can't wait until your next one.

Thanks again Tom. The older I get, the more I try to relax and create memories that don't just involve standing in lines, sweating, and rushing from ride to ride. One of the best moments we had was the day Trevor and I sat on the quiet beach with a drink in hand. It's those little things that can make a vacation extra special.

Thanks for asking.

He's home and appears to have gotten over the hump. He's still on a couple of Meds though.

He'll be going back to the Vets sometime this week for another test. They think, but don't know for sure, that it was some sort of stomach infection.

We were very worried because at one point he started throwing up small amounts of blood. Luckly it was because of the severe throwing up process and not something more serious.

He's eating well, very playful, and trying to get to those neighborhood cats again.

Lou, I'm so glad to hear your little guy is feeling better. I know how tough that can be!

What a fun report!! Thanks!

BTW - I was camping this weekend (sadly, not at the fort) but while at the pool a little girl walked over to her mother (who was in the pool) and said "I have to go potty". She was holding herself, so it seemed pretty urgent. Mom was feeling pretty lazy and told her "just jump here in the pool". Little girl jumped in and suddenly there were no more requests to go potty. Coincidence??? I think not. :nyd:

Hey I was on site 509 for memorial day. I cant believe I didnt bump into you. Would have loved to meet a fellow fiend. we pulled in about 630 friday night and left monday around noon. We got set up just in time for that storm that rolled through friday night.

Also I was at the pool about 2 on sunday and they did a card check on me and handed out american flag wristbands. It was about an hour after i got to the pool and someone just walked up and asked me for my kttw card. they ahd an id badge around there neck. i showed the card and they handed over the bands for me my dw ds and dd. they were very nice, quick and off they went. however i did not have my card. so she let dw, dd, ds stay while i went back and got the cards. however the people next to me did not have them, refused to go get them and were therefore removed.

I did notice something. people would get up and move to the other side of the pool or get in when the lady came walking around with the bands. they had seen the lady and were dodging her. probably locals

oh well sorry we missed you

Great TR really enjoyed it.

Thanks Lorna, glad you enjoyed it. Hope to have you in my next batch of pictures! ;)

What a fun report!! Thanks!

BTW - I was camping this weekend (sadly, not at the fort) but while at the pool a little girl walked over to her mother (who was in the pool) and said "I have to go potty". She was holding herself, so it seemed pretty urgent. Mom was feeling pretty lazy and told her "just jump here in the pool". Little girl jumped in and suddenly there were no more requests to go potty. Coincidence??? I think not. :nyd:

OH YUCK!!! Now imagine if even half of the people who were in the fort pool pics did just that! I'm bringing a kiddie pool with me next trip, it probably won't be pretty, but at least I know the water's clean! :lol:

Hey I was on site 509 for memorial day. I cant believe I didnt bump into you. Would have loved to meet a fellow fiend. we pulled in about 630 friday night and left monday around noon. We got set up just in time for that storm that rolled through friday night.

Also I was at the pool about 2 on sunday and they did a card check on me and handed out american flag wristbands. It was about an hour after i got to the pool and someone just walked up and asked me for my kttw card. they ahd an id badge around there neck. i showed the card and they handed over the bands for me my dw ds and dd. they were very nice, quick and off they went. however i did not have my card. so she let dw, dd, ds stay while i went back and got the cards. however the people next to me did not have them, refused to go get them and were therefore removed.

I did notice something. people would get up and move to the other side of the pool or get in when the lady came walking around with the bands. they had seen the lady and were dodging her. probably locals

oh well sorry we missed you

Well, that's a bummer!! I don't know how you missed me either with the darn signs I had out front. :blink: I probably walked by your site 50 times that weekend, between dog-walking and comfort station visits. It's funny about the pool, as we drove by Sunday and didn't think it looked as bad as it did on Saturday. Maybe Saturdays crowd pushed them over the edge and made them finally do something about it. Glad to hear that only registered fort guests will now be peeing in the pool. :lol:

Great report! Remind Jordan to call my son! I hope he doesn't miss him. Merritt is coming home this coming weekend for a couple of weeks. PM me if you need his phone number!

Thanks Rita! Unless he changed his number, I have the one you gave me, written down, sticky noted to my desk for Jordan when he leaves on the 20th. Thanks again!! :heart: