anolefan's Charleston, SC Trip Report

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Love these pictures!!! As I said I lived in North Charleston 20 some odd years ago, which is when North and South was filmed. I signed up to be an extra. I stood in a very long hot dress in front of a fire hydrant to block it from the camera. It was a LOOOOONG, boring hot day, and I never made it on camera, and didn't meet anybody. But it was an an experience I can say I did!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, the seersucker suits! :heart: A very southern thing, more specifically a South Carolina thing... DH sees the men wearing them to church with their bowties and wishes he was a native southerner... oh well... I tell him he could probably pull off just the jacket, but he's not going there. Probably a good thing. :rofl2:

Really enjoyed your TR!!! Makes me want to do one soon - but we're not going anywhere yet! :blink:

Great report Tom! Really enjoyed it. The one thing I really recall from my last time touring Charleston were the earthquake bolts on the oldest buildings. Did you happen to get any pics of those? They're pretty cool.

And Genia...where do you live? I thought about contacting you when I was there yesterday, but was so pressed for time I didn't. I drove between Charleston and Myrtle Beach. You around there?

And Genia...where do you live? I thought about contacting you when I was there yesterday, but was so pressed for time I didn't. I drove between Charleston and Myrtle Beach. You around there?

No not between Charleston and Myrtle Beach. We live in Summerville about 25 miles north of the airport. I work in between the airport and downtown Charleston about 5 miles south of the airport. Now Hubby works across the runway at CAFB so if you took a look at the C-17s and saw a short dude >:D that might have been him.

Hope your quick trick was enjoyable and you weren't stuck in traffic on 17. :blink:

Tom, I can't remember which tour in Savannah my co worker went on but he actually caught more than a orb, you can clearly see the outline of a child and lady in one of the grave yards, I get chicken skin just typing it, people can doubt all they want but I'm telling ya'll .. there is something to all that mess, what I have no idea.. :unsure:

Bravo!

Bravo!

You did a great job on this report.

It makes me want to visit Charleston.

I hope this report gets more views.

It deserves it.

Thanks for taking the time to post it.

TCD

Thank you! And thank you for lobbying to get this baby over 1000 views :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Let me help you out with the view count, Tom. This was a great report, with awesome pictures. It brought back some good memories and pointed out areas that I want to visit. Thanks for sharing your anniversary with us. :heart:

Thank you for reading!

I hope you get a chance to get back there soon, you will have a great time!

Awesome TR! Happy to know you enjoyed Chucktown. :dance:

Boone Hall hosts the LowCounty Oyster Festival every year in January. Something to look into, even if you don't enjoy oysters. Just go early, traffic is a nightmare.

http://boonehallplantation.com/annual_oyster_roast.php

Oh heck I feel like a local now, I loved Chucktown!

I hear Boone Hall has a fall festival as well. Have you heard this? That would be fun to attend.

Love these pictures!!! As I said I lived in North Charleston 20 some odd years ago, which is when North and South was filmed. I signed up to be an extra. I stood in a very long hot dress in front of a fire hydrant to block it from the camera. It was a LOOOOONG, boring hot day, and I never made it on camera, and didn't meet anybody. But it was an an experience I can say I did!!

I can only imagine how hot you were!

It was very warm during our visit.

I think that is a pretty neat experience!

Three cheers! Loved this TR. Thanks so much for taking the time to write it all out, and including your fantastic photos. Really wonderful!

Thank you so much for the comments!

I appreciate it!

Edith Ann!

I knew someone would post this!

Well done.

Oh, the seersucker suits! :heart: A very southern thing, more specifically a South Carolina thing... DH sees the men wearing them to church with their bowties and wishes he was a native southerner... oh well... I tell him he could probably pull off just the jacket, but he's not going there. Probably a good thing. :rofl2:

Really enjoyed your TR!!! Makes me want to do one soon - but we're not going anywhere yet! :blink:

That is funny! I'm going to sport one of these while looping at the Fort!

Thanks for reading my report!

I enjoyed your TR. That jail is definitely scary, it would deter me from commiting a crime!

I forgot to say, "Happy Anniversary!"

Thank you! I wish we would have done the jail tour, but it just didn't work out. That is one creepy looking building!

Fantastic TR Tom! Thanks for sharing all your awesome pics and taking us on a great tour of Charleston.

I give this TR

th_smiley_with_thumbs_up.gif

Thank you! I had a wonderful time and am glad you were able to share in our vacation.

Great report Tom! Really enjoyed it. The one thing I really recall from my last time touring Charleston were the earthquake bolts on the oldest buildings. Did you happen to get any pics of those? They're pretty cool.

Thanks Dave!

I never saw any of the bolts you are referring to. Looks like I'll have to make a return trip :) I did see 3 houses that were all leaning to the right from the earthquake. I didn't get photos because there was a huge tour going on when we walked passed.

Super report - I have to add Charleston to our vacation list!

Thank you, and please do, you will definitely enjoy your visit if you do.

Tom, I can't remember which tour in Savannah my co worker went on but he actually caught more than a orb, you can clearly see the outline of a child and lady in one of the grave yards, I get chicken skin just typing it, people can doubt all they want but I'm telling ya'll .. there is something to all that mess, what I have no idea.. :unsure:

I honestly have never thought about paranormal activity until this trip. When I felt the breeze and developed chills throughout my entire body, it is just something you can't describe. DW and I both were intrigued by the pictures we took.

Thanks for reading!

Thanks for sharing your anniversary trip with us. I found myself thinking oh that would be a great place to visit. There seemed to be so much that my whole family would enjoy especially my teenage son who loves historical places. And making teenagers happy on vacations makes for an enjoyable vacation for all!

No we haven't been to the fall festival but want too.

If anyone wants to get away from downtown and has transportation check out the Firefly Distillery on Wadmalaw Island. The same location has muscadine vineyards with really good wine. Most of the alcohol can be purchased cheaper at Total Wines or other packaging stores, however they do have some small batch specialties that they only sell on site. If you enjoy lemonade try the lemonade Vodka (not to be confused with the premixed drink) made with real lemons, sugar and vodka. Just don't plan to work the next day. Smooth, real smooth! :siren: :dance: Some the next morning will say too smooth.

http://www.fireflyvodka.com/

My hubby and I went there in late April and had a great time. They have several festivals, we hope to attend the one in November when the weather is cooler. There is no food on site, however JB Smokehouse is at 3406 Maybank Highway, SC and is a great hole in the wall place to eat. Just plan to take a nap when you make it back to the hotel.... :popcorn:

Ooh... Savannah is another one of those cool old cities on my list to spend some time in. We keep saying we're going to stop coming/going from WDW, but somehow we always zoom by trying to get there/home.

Gotta plan a special trip one of these years.... or just take a longer vacation! :)

Thanks for sharing your anniversary trip with us. I found myself thinking oh that would be a great place to visit. There seemed to be so much that my whole family would enjoy especially my teenage son who loves historical places. And making teenagers happy on vacations makes for an enjoyable vacation for all!

Thank you for reading!

I think your son is probably the perfect age. Ours our all still too small to enjoy a city like Charleston.

No we haven't been to the fall festival but want too.

If anyone wants to get away from downtown and has transportation check out the Firefly Distillery on Wadmalaw Island. The same location has muscadine vineyards with really good wine. Most of the alcohol can be purchased cheaper at Total Wines or other packaging stores, however they do have some small batch specialties that they only sell on site. If you enjoy lemonade try the lemonade Vodka (not to be confused with the premixed drink) made with real lemons, sugar and vodka. Just don't plan to work the next day. Smooth, real smooth! :siren: :dance: Some the next morning will say too smooth.

http://www.fireflyvodka.com/

My hubby and I went there in late April and had a great time. They have several festivals, we hope to attend the one in November when the weather is cooler. There is no food on site, however JB Smokehouse is at 3406 Maybank Highway, SC and is a great hole in the wall place to eat. Just plan to take a nap when you make it back to the hotel.... :popcorn:

That sounds fun!

Ooh... Savannah is another one of those cool old cities on my list to spend some time in. We keep saying we're going to stop coming/going from WDW, but somehow we always zoom by trying to get there/home.

Gotta plan a special trip one of these years.... or just take a longer vacation! :)

We love Savannah also! We have stayed at a few places there, and recommend the River Street Inn if you aren't camping. Perfect location and historic also.

http://www.riverstreetinn.com/

I love Savannah :heart: I think I was a southern belle in a previous life :rofl2:

We absolutely LOVE Savannah! We spend more time there than downtown CHS.

River Street and the Historic District with the squares is a must.

:heart:

I never saw any of the bolts you are referring to. Looks like I'll have to make a return trip :) I did see 3 houses that were all leaning to the right from the earthquake. I didn't get photos because there was a huge tour going on when we walked passed.

You likely saw a lot of earthquake bolts but didn't realize what they are. They look like this.

3648152482_44dd720270.jpg

earthquake_bolts04.jpg

I remember asking someone there what they were, and then did a bunch of research on them. They are pretty amazing, in that they used long rods with bolts after the earthquake, placed through the floorboards of the building, to basically pull the brickwork back together. Insert, tighten, and voila! Considering the quake was in 1886 and the buildings are still standing, it was pretty ingenious. In Charleston, if you see a building with them you can be pretty sure it was build prior to 1886. Of course, they could be decorative. There is a neighborhood near me that was built to look classically styled...and a few of the homes in the lowcountry style have fake earthquake bolts. :rofl2:

You likely saw a lot of earthquake bolts but didn't realize what they are. They look like this.

3648152482_44dd720270.jpg

earthquake_bolts04.jpg

I remember asking someone there what they were, and then did a bunch of research on them. They are pretty amazing, in that they used long rods with bolts after the earthquake, placed through the floorboards of the building, to basically pull the brickwork back together. Insert, tighten, and voila! Considering the quake was in 1886 and the buildings are still standing, it was pretty ingenious. In Charleston, if you see a building with them you can be pretty sure it was build prior to 1886. Of course, they could be decorative. There is a neighborhood near me that was built to look classically styled...and a few of the homes in the lowcountry style have fake earthquake bolts. :rofl2:

Now that is some cool information right there! I saw several of those, and your right, I had now idea what they were.

It is amazing how well built things were back then, when patience was the norm. And modern technology hadn't spoiled everyone.

Thanks for sharing that!

Fantastical report! Love the photos of Fort Sumpter! My grandma has always wanted to go there and so have I. Maybe I should plan to take her. We're only a couple of hours away.

Great reporting on Charleston, SC. It is such a beautiful city and you've done an amazing job capturing it's charm.

I really enjoyed the photos of Boone Hall as well. My grandparents took me there many years ago after the North and South series was made. Absoutely beautiful!

Looking forward to your next TR. Great job!

Congratulations, Tom, you did it!

You have over a thousand views on this TR!

When I logged in today you were at 999.

See:

screencap.jpg

So, I clicked to post this reply, and now you are over the top!

TCD

Thank you, and thanks for your help getting it there!

Ironic that your click put it over 1000.

I've been off for the past two days and I'm sure I have pages and pages to catch up on your report. I better get reading.

Fantastical report! Love the photos of Fort Sumpter! My grandma has always wanted to go there and so have I. Maybe I should plan to take her. We're only a couple of hours away.

Great reporting on Charleston, SC. It is such a beautiful city and you've done an amazing job capturing it's charm.

I really enjoyed the photos of Boone Hall as well. My grandparents took me there many years ago after the North and South series was made. Absoutely beautiful!

Looking forward to your next TR. Great job!

Thanks Kim!

I appreciate the comments and for following along!

I would definitely plan on seeing Fort Sumter, at least once. It was a good experience.

I can say it will be one of the most memorable vacations for us for sure.