How to build a sign post for Snarky or the green sign

What you will need: one deck post from HD or Lowes (they range from 8-11 bucks), one piece of two foot rebar (about 2ish bucks), two 1/4 by 4inch bolts (about 24 cents each), a pack of 1/4 inch wing nuts, a pack of 1/4 inch washers, a solar post cap, grey primer and the color paint to match the sign (in this case purple), brushes and paint thinner to clean said brushes, bucket to clean brushes, and the tools to make all the holes (which I found to be the most expensive the first time I did this :rofl2: ....many trips to HD and Ace Hardware:rofl2: ) BTW- the paint is the most expensive part of the pieces, it was 12.97 for the purple and I think 8 something for the primer. However, I got to use the primer from the other post project, so this time, I just had to pay for the purple...total cost of materials, around 35 without the primer and tools

With that said, let's get on with it...

You start with the deck post, however, since it is a deck post and all, it has a small extra piece on the bottom, which must be cut off...My jig saw busted on this version, so I hacked this one off by hand because I had already made one too many trips to HD! :rofl2:

IMG_0243-1.jpg

IMG_0244-1.jpg

The next step is one you need to do before you paint. I learned this the hard way with my first version in green. I ended up having to touch up the post over and over again as I drilled. As you can see below, the drill bit is quite a doozy. It is a 5/8 inch version. You need this size to make it big enough for the rebar to slide off and on. I have a 1/2 and a 5/8. I actually drilled a 1/2 inch hole and came back and made it bigger with the 5/8inch this time because it kept getting stuck the first time around.

IMG_0245-1.jpg

After getting the hole drilled, I marked the rebar with paint to show where the bar stopped in the wood. I also marked the top of the bar so that I knew which side would go in the post the best. As you can see, there is a bunch of it left, so I am going to get someone to take about half of that off and make it a foot and a half rebar instead. That way, I don't have to pound for 50 years with the mallet to get that puppy in the ground. If you can find at HD a foot section of rebar, it might be better or if they can cut it down to a foot and a half for you before you leave, all the better. It will save you from having to buy the tool to do it yourself.

IMG_0246-1.jpg

It is then time for the primer. These babies always seem to be so dry, but maybe it is where I live. I put three coats of primer on the first pole because the wood sucked it in so bad and two coats on this one.

IMG_0247-1.jpg

It is then time for the paint. I never get just one coat to work. For the green post and for this purple post, I had three coats that did it. They dry very quickly so it is very important to get the paint on and let it sit out in the sun and to get the cap back on the paint. (Can you tell I learn these things the hard way?)

IMG_0249-1.jpg

After it is dry, it is time for the holes. I usually wait a day and let it get nice and dry in the sun. The first time, I used a regular 1/4 inch drill bit, but this time, I went a little bigger and used a 1/2 because I used a different bolt. It is up to you how you would like the sign to hang.

IMG_0299.jpg

Next to the holes is the actual Snarky sign, which you can get in the store if you would like. They are made by Fiends!

Now, the 3.88 version of the solar cap (which you will see on the green post at the end) will fit without having to saw the top of the post off, however, this cap that I am using (the 19.97 version) will not, so we had to saw off the top to get it to fit. DS helped out with this since he is a cub scout and all.

IMG_0301-1.jpg

IMG_0302-1.jpg

Once you attach the solar cap to the top, all you have to do is assemble the sign with the bolts, washers and wingnuts and you are ready to go. You put the rebar in the ground and slide the post on top of it. Here is the finished version of the purple one and my green one as well.

IMG_0303-1.jpg

IMG_0398-1.jpg

These are easy to take with you camping because using the bolts makes it easy to take the sign on and off and easy to store.

• 4 months later...

I am new, obviously! Is everyone here against the DIS? If so, why?

I am very grateful to the DisBoards. It was through them that I "met" many of the fiends i now call friends, even though i haven't met them IRL yet. I don't go there any longer because i find all i need right here. :D

I am new, obviously! Is everyone here against the DIS? If so, why?

FortFiends got it's start because of a large :flush2: (permanent ban) of members of the other board. Most of us are over it, but a few are still disgruntled by the hateful and spiteful actions by the staff of the other site. Be warned, if you are still a member on that other board and use the same user name, there are lurkers here that will report your posts here and that is enough to get you banned, also.. Just saying ...

Meanwhile, "Welcome Home!"

FortFiends got it's start because of a large :flush2: (permanent ban) of members of the other board. Most of us are over it, but a few are still disgruntled by the hateful and spiteful actions by the staff of the other site. Be warned, if you are still a member on that other board and use the same user name, there are lurkers here that will report your posts here and that is enough to get you banned, also.. Just saying ...

Well if thats the case then "they" can kiss my ass. ooops, im sure that isnt allowed sorry!

• 2 months later...

Aww hell with it I just heard from my friends college roomates mothers cousins brothers daog that lives near Jen that she was heard that she was giving 10000 points to the next person that swears.

Shit, I'm screwed.

I didn't know you had a daog? I would love to see one! :rofl2:

Seriously?

I like both boards. I would really hate that they would make me choose or make the choice for me.

I'm not changing my user name to hide.

Seriously?

I like both boards. I would really hate that they would make me choose or make the choice for me.

I'm not changing my user name to hide.

I had close to 2,000 posts - not much by doodle standards but a lot for me - and was at the green cesspool since before 2005. After this site started I stopped going there daily because I rarely saw anything new when I did and missed the fun snarkiness that board used to have.

When we were camping at FW this halloween someone came around with a clipboard taking pictures of my sign and another of my child. Other fiends' signs got the same photo treatment. Before Thanksgiving came around I was officially labeled "troll from a hostile site" and banned for being "a potstirrer" when I posted there.

IMO it's hostile - and creepy - to take pictures of people's signs and make notes on your little clipboard but to each his own. I'm proud to be a fiend - you won't find a better bunch of people anywhere... :heart:

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can you say hijack? cool project. As far as the other place it took me a while to get over it because they act like 12 year olds. The funny thing is the owner is still my fb friend. i hear people on the boats and at Trails End talking about how they get info and they're like just go to fortfiends.net and you'll get whatever info you need. It's funny hearing them say "but no r". Now if you want to know the water temp at 0642 in the morning the other place might just be for you lol.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

We are relativley new to the Fort Fiends, and love to stay at Fort Wilderness. We take the kids and ride around looking at all the decorations of the campsites and we are wondering how some people end up in the same sites all the time. Seems that we recognize the same people in the same sites time after time. Is there some crazy secret? Also for those who have built these signs do you travel with many of them in case you are not assigned that loop?

Thanks for your time.

The Krugers

We don't usually request a specific site but when we check in we ask that we be near the comfort station (lots of laundry to do) and need a premium site (which we had already reserved. If the site we are assigned is not adequate for us, we find one that is and ask for it. We have never had a problem getting a really good site. We have even driven to an assigned site and found it insufficient for us so I get on the phone and call the front desk. They tell us to find one we like and if it is available it is ours. We do just that and we are happy as clams.

The folks here do try to help when they can.