Micro trip report - micro trip

Our first time in Loop 1700 was this weekend. Came in Friday night in the monsoon. Afraid it was going to again be our theme as rain seems to follow us on vacations. Saturday was not the prettiest of mornings, but we set off for our destination - Kennedy Space Center. We had not been in more years than I can remember. DH wanted to get pictures of the last shuttle on the pad so we booked the extra tour. Since we booked ahead we got the 2nd tour of the morning. Fun tour although the most you can see of the shuttle is the fuel tanks. Once the tour was over the rain started, but by then we were back at the visitor center and did some inside things. Left at 4:15. I'll post some pictures soon. Once we got back to FW it was dry. I had 7:00 dinner ressies at Trails End. Good as always. Didn't do much the rest if the night except walk the dogs. Parks weren't open late enough at that point to go so we hope for a good day on Sunday.... I'll continue tomorrow.

:popcorn: :Looking forward to more pics! Sorry about the weather, it has been pretty ugly here all weekend, and doesn't look great for the rest of the week. >:(

We need the rain badly, but I wish it would have waited until AFTER the holiday weekend to start.

Oops, my bad I changed some things and the links went bad. Here are the pictures I posted originally.

6ea3dbfc.jpg

2ef132ad.jpg

Here are some more pictures of our Kennedy Space Center trip with the final picture being the Space Shuttle Atlantis on the pad. It is covered so this is the only view available. If you look close you can see the underside of the wings and tail.

e4551a9a.jpg

4ed68482.jpg

88a6fdb1.jpg

It was awesome seeing a piece of history, but sad in knowing there will be a 5 year stretch (according to our tour guide) before anything else is up and ready. You could tell they are all very sad about that. Lots of people will be losing their jobs because of it. If you haven’t gone, I would certainly suggest going. It is such a great place. We got the annual passes on this trip because there is more than you can do in a day.

By the time we got back to FW the rain was done and it was a really nice evening. We had a good dinner at Trails End. Ham was on the menu and it was incredible. Roast beef, some veggies and my favorite desert of apple cobbler topped with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce. Yummy.

Sunday morning we walked the dogs in a light drizzle and had the chance to meet Mouse Ka-Tab just a few sites over from us. They had an impromptu weekend and were packing up to leave on the trip home. It’s always nice to meet Fort Fiends in person. Since we are so fortunate to live only 90 minutes away I always book an extra day, our official check out wasn’t until Monday so that gives us all day on Sunday and we can leave around 6:30 and still get home at a reasonable time.

I must say we really liked the 1700 loop. We have spent most of our trips in either the 300 or 500 loop. This time since it was just a weekend we thought we would save a few $$ and stay in the highly recommended loop. While I like a larger concrete pad for lawn chairs, I can see that the overall area around the sites is much roomier and we can put up a tent behind the RV and put the chairs there. I think this may be our new home loop. Here are a few pictures of our site 1708 and our babies.

More to come on our Epcot day.

Yay, I can see your photos now!

We have been to the Space Center a couple of times.

That Vehicle Assembly Building always captures my attention.

Photos never do a good job of showing how darn big that building is.

I thought this was a recent trip that you were describing, but now I'm wondering if this trip was a while back.

When were you visiting on this trip?

TCD

Great report!

We have talked about visiting KSC, but have had reservations. I have not been since grade school and didn't remember much.

I think a trip is in our near future now, especially when you stated there was quite a bit to do.

Thanks for sharing!

I'll finish this report up, but I'm not sure how many pictures or how much detail you want so I'll go mid point.

We spent a wonderful Sunday at Epcot. I was certain it was going to be a wet day, but it turned out really well. Cloudy, HUMID, a nice breeze from time to time and I would say the crowds were light. Rick rented a wide angle lens to play with so lots of the pictures show a super wide angle. Not always my favorite, but a new perspective on many pictures we already have.

KSC_0640.jpg

KSC_0486.jpg

KSC_0642.jpg

We started the Epcot day out by deciding we were not doing any rides. No running for fast passes or standing in lines. We would wander around and just enjoy. We took the little shuttle boat from the one side of the lake to the other side by France. Then we looked around each country a little more than we sometimes do. Morocco we usually pass up, but this time we went in and spent some time. Rick rented a wide angle lens and got some interesting pictures here.

KSC_0527.jpg

KSC_0516.jpg

We then continued on with a discussion of where to eat lunch. We go so often and unfortunately seem to go to places we have been and like. This time we decided to try something new and were very happy we did. We had lunch in Japan at Yakitori House around noon. Food was good and best of all it was not at all crowded. Sat by the window and just enjoyed the air condition and quiet.

KSC_0528.jpg

From there we decided to take the shuttle boat at the International Gateway and see where it goes. Round trip was about 30 minutes and we saw Beach Club, Yacht Club, Swan/Dolphin and DHS.

KSC_0550.jpg

KSC_0551.jpg

KSC_0569.jpg

It was an enjoyable trip. Once back we covered United Kingdom and Canada, one of my favorite spots. Rick got some nice pictures of the gardens.

KSC_0610.jpg

We were on our way out when we decided it would be a nice break to get a margarita and sit for a few minutes. We went to Mexico and ordered at the outside restaurant. Rick found a seat inside which was a lovely surprise. Mid afternoon and I don’t think a lot of people know you can take your food/drinks inside to eat. There were only a few other people inside, but outside you couldn’t get a table. We sat and again enjoyed the peace and quiet and a lovely view of the lake.

KSC_0617.jpg

We both said it was one of the most enjoyable days spent at a park because we didn’t have to fight the crowds or rush around getting a ticket or watching the clock to get back in line. Just a leisurely day. By the time we left around 3:30 the sun was coming out

KSC_0644.jpg

KSC_0646.jpg

and we got back to the Fort in time to unhook and leave around 5:30. I have booked again for next month, just another quick weekend. Next time I think it will just be Magic Kingdom. We are going to take much more time to stop and smell the pastries and have a few. Along with a Dole Whip. I hope to meet a few more Fiends on that trip also.

My first trip report is complete. I hope you weren't bored. I've read others and find them funny and interesting. Hard to do both in a weekend. Hope to see some new fiends next month.